D&D 5E Wish: additional 9th level slot

Fanaelialae

Legend
So what level of Extra Spell Slot would this august body allow be granted with Wish, without perverting the result?
Frankly, IMO, if the wish is for a permanent spell slot then none, although the lower the level of spell that is requested, the less any negative consequences ought to be.

A temporary spell slot would involve significantly less risk.

If you look at the uses of wish in the spell description, none of them give permanent benefits to a character. Hence, trying to gain permanent benefits (level increases, ability score boosts, or additional uses of features) is pushing a wish beyond it's intended purpose. Which involves risk.

J-H

Hero
A better way to handle this, for both parties, would be:

I wish that we found any opportunity, one clearly visible as such, for a short quest, accomplishable within our means with a low risk of undue loss, and which does not strand us far from this place, which would result in my earning the Epic Boon of an additional 9th level spell slot, with a time parameter of no more than two weeks.

Ace

Adventurer
So what level of Extra Spell Slot would this august body allow be granted with Wish, without perverting the result?

For me, 5E only slot one per spell, whatever they like however many they like with the standard 1 in 3 chance of losing the spell. Worst case scenario, maytbe they get 6 or 7 slots. Whatever

A few extras spell slots isn't going to matter given the kind of magic items 17th and up casters probably have access too.

One of the things I've noticed is the reluctance lately for DM's to hand out items and loot. Sometimes, sarcasm here I get the impression DM's are terrified of handing out a cheap club or dagger lest it break their precious game world.

Beyond that the lack of experience most people have with high level play, me included makes DM fun at this level a lot harder

The thing is high level people are world breakers at the get go, living legends and back in BECMI they could become gods with enough experience.

If you don't like that and I get the reluctance, than set a level cap. B/X was 14, 1st edition Castles and Crusades had 10 and there are others even lower.

Otherwise be generous and let your guys be powerful.

For me, 5E only slot one per spell, whatever they like however many they like with the standard 1 in 3 chance of losing the spell. Worst case scenario, maytbe they get 6 or 7 slots. Whatever

A few extras spell slots isn't going to matter given the kind of magic items 17th and up casters probably have access too.

One of the things I've noticed is the reluctance lately for DM's to hand out items and loot. Sometimes, sarcasm here I get the impression DM's are terrified of handing out a cheap club or dagger lest it break their precious game world.

Beyond that the lack of experience most people have with high level play, me included makes DM fun at this level a lot harder

The thing is high level people are world breakers at the get go, living legends and back in BECMI they could become gods with enough experience.

If you don't like that and I get the reluctance, than set a level cap. B/X was 14, 1st edition Castles and Crusades had 10 and there are others even lower.

Otherwise be generous and let your guys be powerful.
And what if he makes the same wish AGAIN?

Remove ads