• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Women, with a diffrent theme (last addition: Tiefling fighter type)

Liquide

DEX: 4
Horacio said:

Even if PHB says greatswords weight 30 lb (that's almost 15 kg!!!!), it is not true in real life. My guess is that they give that exagerated weight as a measure of encumbrance, real greatswords didn't weight 15 kg, nor even 10 kg...

last time I checked the blades of a "greatsword" or a claymore for a better reference was around 7kg to 11kg which translates to around 15lb. to 24 lb.

Still the weight in the PHB is a bit over the top it is a fantasy game. The greatsword in the PHB has a WAAAy to wide and over-sized blade aswell, at least in the pic, so a PHB greatsword can prolly be 30 lb. The blade in this pic would prolly be around 8kg to 8.5kg (17.5 lb. to 19 lb.), still some weight but could prolly be held (and lifted) for short periods of time in the way it is illustrated in my drawing.

Liquide

LrdApoc said:
You armor work is great. My only nit would be that the pose does not look natural, and to hold a 30lb. sword like that she would have to have monstrous strength!!

Thanks on the armor detail comment :) Well plase elaborate on the pse mate since it would be a good thing to know what I did wrong (so I can improve my skills), and the artists seems to be a bit blind until someone points out the obvious about their own drawings ;) . Well to the strength remark, see my post about the weight and you seldom do see Fighters with a strength lower then 15 (which is quite tremendous in my book :D ), still I would place this lady somewhere around Strength 14-15 just remember strength is not all bulk and mass.

LrdApoc said:
Bery frightning to look at. I lke the second head much better than the first.

Keep up the great work! [/B]

He he he, firghtening ladies must be my new line then :D , and thanks will have some more stuff ready as soon as I have more ideas (female Half-Orc barbarian, note that my half-orcs dun look like the utter horrors in the PHB).

Roll the comments in mates.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Liquide said:

last time I checked the blades of a "greatsword" or a claymore for a better reference was around 7kg to 11kg which translates to around 15lb. to 24 lb.

That was my point, a big claymore weighted some 10-12 kg, and it was maybe the biggest sword used in real combat. Most claymore where under 10 kg (last time I searched for that in the net), and they were still very big. And there is a great difference between 12 and 15 kg, 3 kg (roughtly 6-7 lb) is a world of difference in a tool or weapon.

And the sword you drew wasn't the typical fantasy oversized and completly unreal sword :p It wasn)t even very big for a real claymore, so I guess your 8 kg approach is fairly realist...

Liquide

Horacio said:

That was my point, a big claymore weighted some 10-12 kg, and it was maybe the biggest sword used in real combat. Most claymore where under 10 kg (last time I searched for that in the net), and they were still very big. And there is a great difference between 12 and 15 kg, 3 kg (roughtly 6-7 lb) is a world of difference in a tool or weapon.

And the sword you drew wasn't the typical fantasy oversized and completly unreal sword :p It wasn)t even very big for a real claymore, so I guess your 8 kg approach is fairly realist...

Well it is actually some 40cm to 50cm (equals around 1'4" to 1'8") shorter then a real-life claymore so it might even weight less then 8kg. Still real claymores were not really wide, as the greatsword is detailed in the PHB, it was long and very flexible.

The greatsword in the PHB looks actually quite un-flexible and very bulky, and I would say that it would work better as an executioners blade then a fighting weapon.

Last edited:

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Liquide said:
The greatsword in the PHB looks actually quite un-flexible and very bulky, and I would say that it would work better as an executioners blade then a fighting weapon.

For me it looked too much like a Warhammer Fantasy greatsword.

Liquide

Horacio said:

For me it looked too much like a Warhammer Fantasy greatsword.

Warhammer fantasy 1-handed blade you mean :rolleyes:
Well in any case it is a weapon more suited for 1 slam then for active battle in my eyes

Chain Lightning

First Post
Okay, haven't ever tried attatching a file to a post before. So I hope this works. If it doesn't I'll try to come back and fix it later. Be patient with me.:)

Anyways, I read Liquide's post on doing a dark elf female warrior and I thought that would be lots of fun. Liquide, hope you don't mind me giving a try at some women warriors too.

So I tried to sketch out this piece during my lunch break at work. It actually ending up taking two lunch breaks to finish it. First lunch break to pencil it. Then second lunch break to color it. And even though I'm at lunch, since I'm at my desk, I still think the boss might see me doodling and think I'm goofing off on company time. :) But I wasn't caught, so I'm okay.

I assume from the first post that there's an ENWorld regular here named Dragongirl? And that she must express her distaste for the usual skantily clad cheesecake style fantasy renditions of women. And that this thread is about drawing women in more realistic outfits? I'm guessing.

Yah, being a guy and all, I like the cheesecake too. When its done well. However, it does get old and silly after a while. I always like the more conservative/realistic approach to dressing the ladies in my drawings. Y'know, that whole thing with leaving more to the imagination. Or ..... leaving more to remain a mystery.

With this dark elf warrior, a lot of her armor is large and unflattering to her figure. The upper chainmail sleeves are huge (probably leaving about 2inches of space between her real arm and the inside of the sleeve). She wears divided skirts instead of skin tight leather. Her shoulder pads are wide and large. She kinda looks like girls who borrow their boyfriend's sweaters. Heh heh.

Anyways, hope you like. Tell me what you think and thanks for letting me give it a try too.

Attachments

• dark-elfpsd.jpg
    dark-elfpsd.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
sketch

Sweet sketch:D

I would like to see the tiefling with 2 swords rather then 1 large one, and in lighter armor. go for speed and agility over strength. It's just as lethal, and I'm sure it would make foe a good alturnate sketch. That said I liked the greatsword weilder as well.
:)

papa_laz

First Post
Chain Lightning that is an awesome sketch. Seriously, its so good. Although that sword looks a bit to big for her to use with a shield aswell.

Great Work

Remove ads