D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Assuming the Centaur, Minotaur, and Triton are the same as in prior books (Ravnica, Ravnica, and Volo's respectively); then only new player options are the new races: Satyr and Leonin; subclasses: College of Eloquence (yes!) and Oath of Glory; and background: Athlete. I'll be interested to read how Supernatural Gifts are implemented.

Good stuff here...

Actually, it turns out that a big part of Chapter 3 is expanding on the DMG Piety mechanic, offering abilities to player characters unlocked by raising Piety with each god.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Which is why any Far East-flavored sourcebook we get will likely use one of the MtG worlds that does the same. It will have already been out for 5-10 years and issues addressed and corrected, hopefully.

Yes, I suppose they could make it Kamigawa, but that's even more a direct Japanese-knock off. If I recall my highschool japanese, the name means something like god-river. I suppose they could work their way through MtG settings, doing Amonket (egypt), Kamigawa (Japan), etc. Yes, I guess that makes sense.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yes, I suppose they could make it Kamigawa, but that's even more a direct Japanese-knock off. If I recall my highschool japanese, the name means something like god-river. I suppose they could work their way through MtG settings, doing Amonket (egypt), Kamigawa (Japan), etc. Yes, I guess that makes sense.

Tarkir would work fantastically for Asian fantasy that's less...on the nose...

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tarkir would work fantastically for Asian fantasy that's less...on the nose...

Would it? I have to admit, while I have played Magic, I have no idea about the lore of the planes. Still, it's starting to look like continuing to do MtG settings ticks a lot of boxes while simultaneously using lore that's already written (presumably they can use art assets that they already own as well).

Von Ether

Legend
Would it? I have to admit, while I have played Magic, I have no idea about the lore of the planes. Still, it's starting to look like continuing to do MtG settings ticks a lot of boxes while simultaneously using lore that's already written (presumably they can use art assets that they already own as well).

That may be a bigger motivator than we know. Reusing the art can cut a book's budget in half ... and also let Hasbro feel like they got the original art at "half cost" for using it twice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Yeah, the world is divided into five civilizations:

• A Siberian-esque North Asian type culture
  • A Steppe warrior nomad Central Asian type culture
  • A Persian/Ottoman West Asian type culture
  • An Imperial Chinese style culture
  • A jungle dwelling South-eaat Asian type culture

Also, dragons, and time travel.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
That may be a bigger motivator than we know. Reusing the art can cut a book's budget in half ... and also let Hasbro feel like they got the original art at "half cost" for using it twice.
And lets be honest: MTG's art is awesome as hell !

I was looking at the art of Ikoria yesterday, and holy hell, those are evocative critters. I've not see one creature that I would not like as a D&D creature with statblock.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder which ones were planned for Theros then... And I liked a lot of the UA stuff from last year.

At this point, it seems apparent based on the timeframes of publishing that the 12 Subclasses tested in September and October were for Theros, before they switched gears to variant Class features and Psionics. The Subclasses tested this year would not have been on time for Theros publishing in May (original schedule), so are for ... something else.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases