D&D 5E WotC Shares Theros Table of Contents

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least. Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

WotC has shared the table of contents of Mythic Odysseys of Theros. Well, part of it, at least.

table of contents.jpg

Update -- thanks to "obscureReviewer" on Twitter, here's a fuller image!

EZRMn-tUcAUe5g_.jpg

When your argument starts with a defense of blackface, it's probably worth not hitting the Post Reply button.
I am not defending the blackface. Far from it. Read the answer. It was a racist thing. Different period, different view point. Do not mix both eras together. What was acceptable in one is not in another. I would certainly not go back to the sexists ways of 1ed with lower stat for female characters. That was naughty word then and it is still today.

What I am saying is that mentalities change from decades to decades. Hell, at some point Cherry Coke was THE thing to drink! Can you imagine?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean that it can't. They can include UA from more than a year before the book release.

Absolutely speaking, no. But practically speaking, anything from the September-October batch wasn't intended for a 13-14 month away release, but earlier, in the 7-12 month range at max. They were meant for Theros at the time in retrospect, and either fully dropped or retooled in the next phase for the next project. We might see a bit more for the next book, but timeframe wise the window for feedback is closing. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of a UA dry spell in the not too distant future, as with last year between the Eberron and Theros tests.

The "Aberrant Mind" as a primarli Merfolk Blue Mana Sorcerer would have worked, bit it didn't pass muster with players
"Psionic spells" where a feature of the Aberrant Mind, and I can't believe there was ever any intention of including a section of psionic spells in the Theros book.

And I don't think it "failed to pass muster" either - I got the impression it was exceedingly popular. It was repurposed because the psionic wizard failed to pass muster.

You are being too absolutist. It was never a case of "this is a subclass for Theros, this is a subclass for the other book". It was always "this is a subclass that we might put it in Theros, it might also be in the unannounced book".

I believe the observation that "setting books have two or three subclasses" is also correct (SCAG is an anomaly). I don't believe there was ever any intention of including more than two or three subclasses in Theros, no matter how they where received. It could have been a different two, but there was never going to be more.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Psionic spells" where a feature of the Aberrant Mind, and I can't believe there was ever any intention of including a section of psionic spells in the Theros book.

And I don't think it "failed to pass muster" either - I got the impression it was exceedingly popular. It was repurposed because the psionic wizard failed to pass muster.

You are being too absolutist. It was never a case of "this is a subclass for Theros, this is a subclass for the other book". It was always "this is a subclass that we might put it in Theros, it might also be in the unannounced book".

I believe the observation that "setting books have two or three subclasses" is also correct (SCAG is an anomaly). I don't believe there was ever any intention of including more than two or three subclasses in Theros, no matter how they where received. It could have been a different two, but there was never going to be more.

No reason to limit how many Subclasses a book can have: the point is, the September-October set of tests were times for a publication in Q2-Q3, not Q4. They were meant for something published in that timeframe, i.e. Theros.

All we known in terms of reception is that the Glory Paladin and Oratortion Bard were received well enough for publication, the Rogue and Sorcerer not quite well enough for publication as is, and the Onomancer is right out. Online chatter is statistically meaningless for measuring anything. But I am betting against the other 7 Subclasses ever showing up again.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yes, I don't think Planeswalkers should be in D&D. There is Vi, who could be a planeswalker, but this opens more questions than it solves, IMHO. I don't think Elminster or Mordenkainen are planeswalkers. They haven't been to any M:tG setting, probably have no idea what the "Blind Eternities" are. I think the best explananation of their traveling to Earth and other worlds are Sigil or Spelljammer, or a high level spell that lets them teleport.

They've both been to real Earth and shared a Coca Cola, so why assume that such widely traveled archmages haven't ever been to a Magic the Gathering setting? Just because we haven't been told about it in a book, doesn't mean that it never happened. These wizards are hundreds of years old and we don't see the vast majority of their lives.

They've both been to real Earth and shared a Coca Cola, so why assume that such widely traveled archmages haven't ever been to a Magic the Gathering setting? Just because we haven't been told about it in a book, doesn't mean that it never happened. These wizards are hundreds of years old and we don't see the vast majority of their lives.

Murlynd has a VCR, Ravenloft has a domain filled with Italian children. The Mulan in Toril are from Egypt. I don't see how Mordenkainen hanging out on Ravinica stretches the credibility any further.

No reason to limit how many Subclasses a book can have: the point is, the September-October set of tests were times for a publication in Q2-Q3, not Q4. They were meant for something published in that timeframe, i.e. Theros.
Every reason, space an balance. They have come to the conclusion that they only need to throw in a couple of subclasses to sell a book to crunch lovers.

And no reason it needs to be limited to that time frame, especially when psionics is likely to need several passes. It DOES NOT MAKE SENSE to introduce psionic spells in Theros. Psionics is a different theme all together.
All we known in terms of reception is that the Glory Paladin and Oratortion Bard were received well enough for publication, the Rogue and Sorcerer not quite well enough for publication as is, and the Onomancer is right out. Online chatter is statistically meaningless for measuring anything.
It is not "meaningless". Uncertain not the same as meaningless. It was obvious from the chatter that the Onomancer was out, and low and behold it is. And it was clear from the chatter that the aberrant sorcerer was considerably more popular than the (zzzz) Oration bard.
But I am betting against the other 7 Subclasses ever showing up again.
How much? I will take that bet for the Astral monk coming back.

Lem23

Adventurer
I am not defending the blackface. Far from it. Read the answer. It was a racist thing. Different period, different view point. Do not mix both eras together. What was acceptable in one is not in another. I would certainly not go back to the sexists ways of 1ed with lower stat for female characters. That was naughty word then and it is still today.

What I am saying is that mentalities change from decades to decades. Hell, at some point Cherry Coke was THE thing to drink! Can you imagine?

Dude, Said published Orientalism in 1978. The notion has been around a lot longer than you seem to think.

Remove ads

Remove ads