D&D 5E WotC will likely be making a dedicated Psion class, as per recent tweets

Zardnaar

Legend
I think being respectful towards what came before is the right thing, not taking a chainsaw to it. Innovate from there, no one would have cared if 4E made Breath, baking it into the core books oops.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
If something was never part of the design scope, it’s not a failure to deliver if it wasn’t included. End of story. No matter how bad you want it.

people seem to confuse their desires and opinions as part of the business requirements. I have no idea why.

So, what sorts of rules are we looking at building? The list is a little fluid, but here's what we want to focus on. It's kind of a laundry list, and there's no guarantee that everything will be ready at launch, so it's more of a wish list.

• Include tactical combat rules that allow the option to add more miniatures gaming elements to combat. This would include a grid, options for facing, rules for more detailed zones of control, and so on.
  • Provide a system that emphasizes refreshing resources by encounter instead of by day. The nice thing about our approach is that since this is an option, we don't have to settle for half measures. Everything can be encounter-based, even hit points.
  • Create rules for giving mechanical weight to character motivation, personality traits, and so on.
  • Provide a structure for a more story-based approach to D&D, treating the DM and players as co-authors of a narrative with a specific focus.
  • Use action points, fate points, or a similar meta-mechanic as a reward or a way to give players a mechanical option to boost their power for a specific moment.
  • Create variant XP rules, using XP as a way for a DM to place the emphasis on fighting, interaction, exploration, finding treasure, and so on.
  • Add in rules for firearms, including both a historical take and one driven by fantasy.
  • Include rules for mass combat between armies, both for resolving two armies fighting and battles where the PCs can play a role.
  • Design rules for speeding up battles that involve lots of monsters and the characters.
  • Provide rules for sea battles.
  • Create rules for realms management and strongholds.
  • Design rules for finding ingredients and reagents to craft magic items.
  • Provide critical hit and critical failure tables.
  • Design rules for using armor as damage reduction, along with rules for hit locations.
  • Introduce rules for lingering wounds, a gritty approach to health and well being.
  • Include alternative magic systems.
  • Provide rules for horror and sanity, along with other rules to change D&D's genre.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Any thoughts on the rest of my post?
I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Look at the kinds of 'stories' 5e is promoting with it's books. Many of them are outright callbacks to classic modules. D&D isn't emulating fantasy archetypes or fantasy stories like you'd find in fiction. It's presenting a reasonably authentic "D&D experience" that old-schoolers can recognize, and so that new players can 'find out what all the fuss was about.'

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I think you're barking up the wrong tree.
Look at the kinds of 'stories' 5e is promoting with it's books. Many of them are outright callbacks to classic modules. D&D isn't emulating fantasy archetypes or fantasy stories like you'd find in fiction. It's presenting a reasonably authentic "D&D experience" that old-schoolers can recognize, and so that new players can 'find out what all the fuss was about.'
D&D has been self-referential since 3e.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases