• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Would you like a 5e video game akin to Neverwinter Nights & Neverwinter Nights 2?

Would you like a video game?

• Yes, I would like a 5e video game similar to Neverwinter Nights style.

Votes: 93 73.8%
  • Yes, I would like a 5e video game, but with a different style.

Votes: 26 20.6%
  • No, I do not want a 5e video game.

Votes: 7 5.6%

Call me old-fashioned, but what I want is a D&D game in the style of Tower of Doom/Shadow over Mystara. I'd also pay good money for a D&D-inspired metroidvania, set in the Forgotten Realms. :D

Lazybones

Adventurer
Heck, I'm still playing the original NWN with a regular campaign group. I'd love a new game, as long it was as accessible to the new builder/DM as the Aurora toolset was. That's part of what made NWN2 such a let down; its toolset was powerful, but it would take 20+ hours to build a single area.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
While it did have some DLC, Skyrim was perfectly playable without them. And I wouldn't say it *wasn't* financially viable for Bethesda.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app
Skyrim is an old game; what financial model is Bethesda using for Elder Scrolls Online, again...?

Also, Bethesda owns the IP: they don't pay anybody license fees.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Did you just say financially viable? D&D is a recognized brand with its own IP and fanbase. All you need for success is meet your deadlines and make a game that doesn't suck. (Hell it's a game based on a game, no need to reinvent the wheel)
If you release the game three years after your original release date it will bomb.
There have been a few D&D related bombs on the game market.

S

Sunseeker

I mean anything with a good set of mod tools I'd like.

The mechanics translating into a video game mean very little to me. As long as certain classes have certain defining features (druids wild shape, fighters get more hits per turn or attack faster, paladins can smite, etc...) and the game has a good story I'm more than happy to play it. The better the mod tools are the more I'll not worry about the quality of the story.

I don't know if I'm hung up on the turn-based combat system, it'd be nice if there was a way to turn it on or off.

Games should, in general, be far more modable than they are these days.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
I didn't vote because I've never played NWN, so I have no opinion on whether a 5E game should be similar to those games or different. But I would like to see a good 5E video game (ideally single-player).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Oh! You mean a new game that uses the Electron Engine or something similar to create a CRPG with turn based combat?

In that case, of course. It's been too long.

I wouldn’t want turn based, but something closer to the game engine of Dragon Age 2 (the best combat gameplay of the series, IMO), but with environment interaction would be hugely exciting to me. I never play a game with no environmental interaction without getting annoyed by that. Even lovely games like Skyrim bug me with this.

Jus let me bloody well climb on things.

reelo

Hero
Skyrim is an old game; what financial model is Bethesda using for Elder Scrolls Online, again...?

Also, Bethesda owns the IP: they don't pay anybody license fees.
Argh, now you touched another problem: once a game-studio releases a mmorpg spinoff of a popular franchise, they tend to spend so many ressources on keeping that game fresh, up-to-date and running, that I feel that their future "offline" games tend to suffer.
Yes, Skyrim's old. It still gets played a lot, though. Do I hope for a TES: VI game? I sure do. But has anything been announced yet? I guess not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app

Slit518

Adventurer
I wouldn’t want turn based, but something closer to the game engine of Dragon Age 2 (the best combat gameplay of the series, IMO), but with environment interaction would be hugely exciting to me. I never play a game with no environmental interaction without getting annoyed by that. Even lovely games like Skyrim bug me with this.

Jus let me bloody well climb on things.

Zelda Breath of the Wild was a great game. Try it out if you haven't already.

On a separate note. A lot of you have mentioned "with combat similar to Divinity Original Sin 2," but have you played the 1st one? If so, how has the combat differed between the two? I would be all for a D&D game with combat similar to Divinity Original sin! That game overall was a great one!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads