D&D (2024) YOU are in charge of the next PHB! What do you change?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
A nice way to integrate classes with negative mechanics (if necessary, and I still think this is possibly not a good idea) is to tie it into recharge - Paladin acting counter to their oath? No divine points restored. Cleric irritating their god? Two more divine points per spell cost.

I think I'd probably also go back to pre-3e multiclassing for casters: Non-overlapping magisteria.
Makes me think of an interesting option for magisteria stacking:

Your Primary (First) class determines your spellcasting type/recovery/cost mechanics. Your second class or whatever others you might have just increase your first class's level for spell purposes and offer new spell options.

So a Warlock/Cleric gets spell slots as a Warlock, recovers them on a short rest, but adds Cleric spells to their options for spells known, and their Cleric levels count as Warlock levels for Pact Magic advancement.

Or whatever mechanics you create for the different classes.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Your second class or whatever others you might have just increase your first class's level for spell purposes and offer new spell options.
That could be neat - maybe they swap if the second class outlevels the first, or there is some other consequence, as otherwise there will invariably be one level dip at level 1 shenanigans.

Come to think of it, I think I might place the level dip on the chopping block in one way or another. Most abilities that scale on level or proficiency bonus would be reworked - imagine if Barbarian were created today? It might gain rages per day based on prof bonus. That would not be a good thing.

Class-agnostic stuff would scale by prof bonus (feats, mostly).

If I were really free I might make feat based versions for most class abilities, and a couple freelancer/abilityless skeleton classes from which to build modern multiclasses, sort of like the points based build options of old. Again, I'd make these core, at least as core as the DMG.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Now I’m going to imagine that D&D has tanked, I got rich and bought wotc, and I’m making the new D&D .

1. I’d put out a red box starter kit that is basically a mix of 5e and some simple ideas, with a Warrior, Thief, Mage, and a 4th class that mixes magic and martial prowess. It’d be the new D&D Basic. Occasional expansion boxes, and stuff likeDCs and enemy math would be the same between this and D&D. Basically HeroQuest with more roleplaying prompts.

2a. Tech allowing, there would be a whole Augmented Tabletop system for playing D&D, using a highly mod-friendly system to make AR maps, minis, terrain, etc. I’m sure this already exists, but it would be all packaged together

2. D&D. The basic mechanics would be the same as 5e, because they just work. Basic design ethos is bring back the improvisation of the simplest dnd editions, while keeping the “look at my OC I love them they’re dumb” thing that 5e does so well.

Every class would get a top down review. The old books would be in print, D&D Basic is very OSR meets simplified 5e, no reason to be over-cautious. If it doesn’t sell make playtesters happy as a D&D ill just sell it as a new game.

Fighter- Split into Warrior and Archer. Might also get a Swashbuckler or something, but tbh the light fighter can be a warrior when you see what I’m gonna do to ability scores. Both are very simple with optional complexity. Archer gets a somewhat improv-leaning “trick shot” ability.

Rogue - Becomes the Jack of all trades. Possibly renamed Jack, but I’m sure that would annoy some people. Dirty Fighting rather than Sneak Attack, broad skills, able to pick up tactics from allies, stuff like that.

Bard - Scholar, Warrior-poet, shapeshifter, bringer of curses and blessings, not a ton of Spellcasting but ritual magic is as strong as it gets.

Druid - eats the cleric, because I don’t like the cleric and don’t think it makes sense as a class. The Druid becomes a combination of the D&D druid and the mythic Druid and the priest who hears the voice of God. A lot of “channel divinity” stuff and rituals, and less direct spellcasting, like all spellcasters.

Mystic Warrior - obv working title. Contains the monk and Paladin, being the Holy or Mystic Warrior. Some elements of priesthood or holy orders, martial excellence, ability to push beyond what others can do physically, etc.

Mage - either focus on a type of magic, a type of ritual tool (Spellcasting focus), or lean into being the magical Jack of all trades.

Expert - Contains artificer and trap finder rogue stuff, as well as ability to “hack” magical effects like a rogue disables devices.

Assassin - Here’s your lightly armored lethal combatant. Sneak attack, high AC without heavy armor, heightened crit when hidden or attacking a creature that is charmed paralyzed or poisoned, highly mobile, capable of bursts of extreme general violence but not the ability to keep that up forever like a Warrior.

Other classes: let playtesting and other designers on the team figure it out.

Magic- just less of it than D&D has ever had. More ritual magic though, and skill-based magic. Only keep iconic and necessary spells, low spell slots, keep cantrips but more utility than combat, just tone down the magic. Big magic is the sort of thing you need to gather resources for, do your homework, ask an extra planar being for a solid, or symphony power form a powerful artifact. No one just has 9th level spells just because they’re level 20.

Ability Scores - Less impact on combat directly, but your modifier does give you a pool of d6’s that you can spend to add to rolls related to that score, including the system wide ability to reduce another creatures check as a reaction by spending an Ability Die and making a skill check.

Add a couple skills, explicitly make the knowledge skills have active uses, but keep descriptions of what you can do fairly open-ended.

Then I’d let a diverse team loose on it to make it as queer and multicultural as we can.
Class names could be changed, but the basic ideas would remain if possible.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Now... if we're talking about what we'd do with 6e, as employees of Hasbro-- still constrained by the need to appeal to as many fans as possible, but not full compatibility-- I could probably get away with a little bit more of what I wanted.

Start here.
  • Classes: I want to make all kinds of radical changes here, but I don't feel like I can. Every class that was in the 5e PHB needs to be in the 6e PHB (even the Sorcerer and Ranger), and that means I can't add much more. I am adding (some version of) the Mysticout of pure spite at this point.
    • Subclasses: Each Class has multiple (non-interchangeable) Paths, selected at (probably) 1st, 6th, 11th, 16th, and 21st; this includes previous edition options like Kits, Prestige Classes, and Paragon Paths/Epic Destinies as well as most multiclassing.
    • Power Sources: Martial, Arcane, Divine, Primal, and Psychic. These are broken down at the individual ability level, rather than the class level, to allow (for example) Paladins to be Martial and Divine, and for Class Paths to introduce additional power sources to classes like Fighter and Rogue.
      • Martial is a real power source, like 4e Martial by default, but including (optional) supernatural abilities in the core rules.
      • Psychic is basically psionics, but it uses spells and spell slots and maybe does something clever with over- or under-casting mechanics that distinguishes them from arcane/divine/primal.
  • Lineages: I really, really want to go back to Race-as-Class here, but I know the fanbase wouldn't stand for it in the official Dungeons & Dragonsgame. Also... every PHB race from 5e needs to be a PHB lineage in 6e, regardless of how much I might want to remove some of them. This means, aside from the Drow... again, I cannot afford to add many options.
    • I can probably get away with making half-races into lineage options, so I'm going to try to do this, instead of including them as full discrete lineages.
    • Every lineage gets X features/options at 1st level, additional Path options, and access to lineage feats/proficiencies. Lineage grows with the character.
    • Converting subraces and half-races into lineage options hopefully saves me enough space that I can add Orc, Warforged, and Tabaxi as options. I'd rather have Kobold and/or Tortle, but they're too similar to Dragonborn; I'd love to add Goblin, but there just isn't room.
  • Backgrounds: Backgrounds have broader latitude to grant proficiencies in 6e, but otherwise behave identically. They do not grant ASIs, and I definitely do not include a sidebar lecturing the reader that basing ASIs on socioeconomic class is not, in any conceivable fashion, less offensive than basing them on magical species who have, at least, the Thermian Argument in their favor. As much as I want to.
  • Ability Score Increases: So if you don't get them from your lineage, or your class, or your background, where do you get your 1st level ASIs from?
    • You don't. They are not necessary.
    • You get one +2 or three +1s every 4th level. Maximum score starts at 20 and goes up +1 every four levels.
  • Proficiencies and Feats: These would remain optional, but: proficiencies scale with level, with trained proficiencies scaling faster, up to +1/2 levels. (If proficiency rules aren't in place, these bonuses are applied to lineage/class-related ability checks.) If feats are allowed, they don't compete with ASIs; other than that, this is one of the few things I think 5e got very, very right and I don't want to ruin it.
    • Characters keep getting Proficiency Slots after 1st level. They mostly don't increase your check bonus (unless you take Expertise) but they expand the scope of what the skill is useful for. Putting more than a couple of slots into a skill starts getting explicitly supernatural by default, unless that is (optionally) restricted.
    • As noted in my previous post, "skilled" classes get more proficiency slots, and Fighters are a skilled class.
  • Healing and Hit Dice: PCs get more than 1 HD/level. Magical healing requires spending Hit Dice. If you're knocked down in combat, you stay down unless/until you can get a short rest. Overnight natural healing (hit points and hit dice) is slower.
  • Saving Throws: I do not know specifically how to fix this, but in TSR D&D you got better at making saving throws as you went up in level and in WotC D&D you get (relatively) worse. I have wanted to fix this for a long time.
  • Monster Design: Basically start from 4e, and adjust to fit into the 6e mechanics.
  • Combat: Reintroduce standard combat maneuvers. Include a generous stunting mechanic for going off script. Bring back the Bloodied condition.

Last edited:

Gelert

Adrian
Get the index right.
Remove Dragonborn and Tiefling.
Improve the art.
Emphasis the main rule is Wheaton's Law.
That's about it

Alby87

Adventurer
I'm not a big rule expert, but this is how I would offer the 5.5e. One thing should be clear: common people just loves this game, many follow many streaming sessions because they start to know the rules. If you try a way like "A TOTALLY NEW VERSION", you'll probably fail. So, the idea, for me, should be:

1) PHB REVISED
A revised book which superseed the actual PHB.
- Classes and "races" should be balanced and upgraded on what the WOTC learned on these years, bringing them to level with Xanathar's and Tasha's.

- Spells and Rules should be updated on the form, no changes at all, only more clarity.

2) ACERERAK'S GUIDE TO MASTERING
A book that's a DMG companion, not a substitute, with more "optional" crunch such as dungeoning and wilderness trips, advanced rest rules, encounter building for less or more adventorous day, summaries with just small description of all the monsters published in MM, VOLO and Mordenkainen. A guide to build encounter for tier 4, with advices on make challenging depending on the party (have fireball prone wizard? Use this! No Rogue? Use that!) And small narrative advice part, a condensed version of Return of Lazy DM book, for example.

People will not feel that they book are useless: people can still play the original PHB if they want, but they know a new PHB is there, and sometimes they should buy it. Without any pressure.
DMs will not feel also their books are useless, they are perfectly compatible, and having a book dedicated to them that just upgrade to 5.5e in a slow way (you can still play 5e with just the new rest system, for example).

There a lot of ways to manage the trasiction to a revision of the game without angering the fan base :)

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would like to see odd levels being class features and even levels being subclass features.
I’d probably do subclass at 1st (I think getting subclass right away is important), class feature at 2nd, and ASI/feat at 3rd, then keep that pattern for every level after.
That keeps 5,11 and 17 for important tier defining class features.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I’d probably do subclass at 1st (I think getting subclass right away is important), class feature at 2nd, and ASI/feat at 3rd, then keep that pattern for every level after.
That keeps 5,11 and 17 for important tier defining class features.
For maximum compatibility* I’d go for adding an optional variant feature to each class that gives many options that broadly speak to the archetypes the class gets.

I wouldn’t restrict myself to any one design type. Fighters might get soemthing in the order of an optional Stance feature. One makes your attacks magical and deal elemental damage, another is very aggressive themed and increases damage on a crit, another gives an extra skill proficiency, etc.

The balance point would probably be things balanced against a skill proficiency.

*my goal with a new PHB would be to make it so compatible with the 5e PHB that you can use literally every 5e book without adjustment.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
my goal with a new PHB would be to make it so compatible with the 5e PHB that you can use literally every 5e book without adjustment.
I think that's a worthwhile goal, and for DM tool or Monsters, easily achieved. However, to be able to do any really worthwhile (as in, worth the work and hassle of a new Edition) changes, there would have to be at least a minor level of disjuncture in player character options (though perhaps fixable with a conversion guide). That's why I hit on the idea of "modular compatibility": maybe you couldn't use the Horizon Walker Ranger with a 6E base Ranger, but bringing a 5E Ranger to a 6E game would work in play.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
I think that's a worthwhile goal, and for DM tool or Monsters, easily achieved. However, to be able to do any really worthwhile (as in, worth the work and hassle of a new Edition) changes, there would have to be at least a minor level of disjuncture in player character options (though perhaps fixable with a conversion guide). That's why I hit on the idea of "modular compatibility": maybe you couldn't use the Horizon Walker Ranger with a 6E base Ranger, but bringing a 5E Ranger to a 6E game would work in play.
This seems achievable just by keeping to 5e's Bounded Accuracy range. (Which I am absolutely in favor of.)

Remove ads