• Tom Welling

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Tyler Hoechlin

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Other thing that I forgot

Votes: 2 2.2%

MGibster

Legend
thats a good point, my opinion is that BS was okay as a Batman movie, but was terrible as a Superman movie. Snyder entirely missed the point of Superman being the Boy Scout - and just packaged up some blatant messiah visuals And an otherwise clueless schmuck driven by angst and a need for approval
At one point, I think Synder expressed surprise and dismay at people still being so attached to the Christopher Reeves version of Superman.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
At one point, I think Synder expressed surprise and dismay at people still being so attached to the Christopher Reeves version of Superman.
I honestly don't think Snyder has read a comic featuring Superman other than Dark Knight Returns. It's not that people are attached to Reeves as Superman, it's that Reeves was playing the traditional Superman. What Snyder was offering has its fans, but it was definitely not the traditional Superman.

dbolack

Adventurer
I love Brandon Routh as an actor in general, and I really enjoyed his turn at Superman, even though his movie had some weird elements to it (stalker Superman?). And when Routh got to reprise the role in Crisis on Infinite Earths on TV, wow, I really enjoyed that.
Routh's Kent was amazing and seamlessly falls in as a continuation of Reeve. It does not get enough love because that plot. Ugh.

dbolack

Adventurer
I honestly don't think Snyder has read a comic featuring Superman other than Dark Knight Returns. It's not that people are attached to Reeves as Superman, it's that Reeves was playing the traditional Superman. What Snyder was offering has its fans, but it was definitely not the traditional Superman.
There are times when I wonder if he'd read anything.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think Henry Cavill could've been a good Superman, but as @Clint_L mentioned, the movies he was in misunderstood the character at its core.
They have a different interpretation to the one you prefer. Early Batman had a gun, Keaton killed people, Supes kills in the comics.

c4be9c8b1a7bf55a-600x338.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They have a different interpretation to the one you prefer. Early Batman had a gun, Keaton killed people, Supes kills in the comics.
While the killing thing gets complained about a lot, it's not the entirety of the critique of Snyder's version of Superman.

And yes, you can do anything with Superman. You could have him wear red shorts and work on a steamship and hang out with Minnie Mouse if you wanted.

But there are certain base level elements that make the character Superman, one of which is inherent decency and optimism. The version of Superman in DKR works because Frank Miller is intentionally attacking the traditional view of Superman -- it's meant to be a critique (especially of Reagan-era jingoism), not his take on who Superman is supposed to be in general.

Cavill is definitely capable of playing the inherent decency -- he radiates it in the otherwise just so-so Enola Holmes -- but that's not a character trait Snyder includes (or, based on his other movies, connects with).

Thourne

Hero
Ok there is confusion that they were killed due to the arrest scene being cut from the final print.
What we saw was them fall into the openings. We did not actually learn it was a death tumble.
It actually wasn't.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Cavill is definitely capable of playing the inherent decency -- he radiates it in the otherwise just so-so Enola Holmes -- but that's not a character trait Snyder includes (or, based on his other movies, connects with).
Or it simply isn't a character trait he necessarily agrees should be present in the version of the character he's portraying.

I mean, the movie is leaning hard into the Christ allegory, and Jesus as presented in the Gospels isn't a jolly Boy Scout.

Remove ads