• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yuan-ti PC Race

darkInertia

First Post
One of the players wants to play a yuan-ti; she has a snake tail instead of legs (which will result in some RP, and game-play challenges). Below are what we're using for her racial traits. I'm having trouble deciding on the appropriate damage for the encounter power, so critique for that would be excellent.

• +2 Str, +2 Cha
• Speed 7
• Normal Vision
• Languages: Common and Draconic
• +2 racial bonus to Nature and Religion checks
• Poison resist 5 (increases to 10 at level 11, and increases to 15 at level 21)
• Can use tail to make grab attacks (see page x, PHB) as a move action. Cannot move while she has a target grabbed with her tail.

• Constrict encounter power:
o Standard Action
o Range melee 1
o Requirement: You must be grabbing the target with your tail.
o Target: The creature you have grabbed.
o Attack: Str/Dex/Con + 2 vs. Fort
o Hit: 1d8 + Str/Dex/Con mod damage. Sustain Minor: The grabbed creature takes an additional 1d8 + Str/Dex/Con mod damage (until escape). Attack bonus increases to +4 and damage increases to 2d8 + Str/Dex/Con mod damage at level 11, and attack bonus increases to +6 and damage increases to 3d8 + Str/Dex/Con mod damage at level 21.

Omertalvendetta

First Post
Personally I think that the race is well balanced, but that's just me... I feel that it may be a little situational, however. For example, races should be somewhat general, and by the above all yuan-ti's are not to have legs, have tails instead, and would want to use them to grab. That's something I would love to do, but maybe the next person that reads this may not... anyways, I don't know what I'm really suggesting. I like your version of the race; maybe all I'm suggesting is a more general version of the class so that everyone would want to play one. Don't get me wrong, though, great concept!!

circadianwolf

First Post
A bonus to grab is situational in that not all players playing a race will make a melee Str-based character; however, since you're building this for a particular player, it's not an issue.

In the same vein, grabbing as a move action is very powerful in certain niche builds (brawler fighters), but if this player isn't doing that, then it's fine. (Though why the "player can't move"? A player grabbing a creature already can't move without letting the creature go unless they make a Strength vs. Fort check that rapidly becomes impossible due to no bonuses.)

All that said, the only real suggestions I have are for the racial power. First, the attack bonus should be +3/+6/+9, to include Expertise bonuses (which racial powers can't get). Even WOTC is uneven on doing this, but it is necessary if the player wants to hit at higher levels.

Second, the sustain effect is too powerful for an encounter power (it's equivalent to an epic level feat, Crushing Grab, albeit only on one grab per encounter), and also confusing. Sustaining a grab is already a minor action--is this a minor action *in addition to* that? In any case, I'd make the sustain damage just Str/Dex/Con damage.

Saagael

First Post
You'll probably want to up the attack bonus on the racial power to +3/+6/+9 to match up with the changes that were made in PHB3 due to the expertise feats being taken by nearly everyone.

Other than that, I'd say the sustain on the racial power is overpowered, while the grab is situational. Since Yuan-ti can have a snake's body or have legs (as shown by MM1 artwork), I would make the racial power be some sort of poison-spit attack, leaving the choice to have legs or a snake tail. Perhaps the racial power deals a small amount of damage and makes the target grant combat advantage until the end of your next turn.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads