[Adventure] BH1: Merryl's Rescue (DM: Velmont, Judge: renau1g)

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Ok, so let me rephrase. If Bell had reason to believe that she would do damage before taking the damage, then she would have made the attack.

If she though she would take damage first, and thereby waste her attack, she would not take the attack.[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
[sblock=Corrections]Sorry to bring more corrections up, but Rhole is actually in B5. Presumably that grants him cover from Frederic's attack, which might then miss.[/sblock]
Knowledge Arcana 26

Rhole's music pitches briefly, in the wake of the dreadclaw's assault. The effect is intense enough to create local turbulence, taking Charina a few paces.

[sblock=Actions]
Virtue of Cunning: Charina can slide a square when she was missed.

By sliding to A7 or A8 she'll be out of Frederic's aura, and can thus attack him without taking his 5 necrotic damage. (Attacking Frederic seems optimal given Bell's Focused Sound)
[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Sorry, I think the confusion came from in my head, Moonwalking was Shifting... but nothing would have prevented you to walk there... In that acse, Rhole wasn't hit.

Also Charina can slide. I will update later today, but I'll like to know if Charina want to slide.[/SBLOCK]

Velmont

First Post
Sherryl move foward. As she does so, Martelai and Bell feels her aura. It is glacial, but not cold, more like someone would be draining them from there life force. And they are quite sure that while within her aura, they will be able to heals from any wounds.

Seeing both ghouls on Ikni, Sherryl shouts "Take care of the others, that one will become my pawn." she release a bolt of darkness that hit Inki. He feels the darkness surrounding him. Everyone see him disappear. In the back of the room, a column of darkness appear, coming down from the free hand of the angel. In the column, Ikni reappear. Jemny stare at Ikni, floating out of her reach.

"Half-elf, you stop to move there!" She then throw another bolt of dark energy that fully hit Martelai. Feeling the pain, his legs seems to barely support him.

Seeing an easy prey, an ghoul move next to Martelai and tries to bite him, but he miss his mark as Bell's song give some quickness and courage to Martelai.

The other ghoul, being confused by Bell's blade, simply move next to Bell, the nearest enemy he saw, but is unable to focus more to do any attack.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Sorry, big week-end. Worked 28 hours in the last 3 days. Now, things relax a bit.

Ikni turns happen between Sherryl and Ghoul, but being stunned, he cannot do much except roll his save, so I did the Ghoul now.

Frederic Aura: Anyone attacking him and within his aura take 5 necrotic damage before the attack. That means Bell didn't spend his AP.

Sherryl Aura: Any creature within her aura cannot regain hit points and undead have +1 to hit, damage and defenses.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Mechanic]Rhole wasn't hit by Frederic. Rhole have no damage and is not Prone.

Derien made his save but fall unconscious before.

Bell takes 5 necrotic damage before her first attack, so she didn't spent her AP and never used her Malevolent Mischief.

Sherryl
Move: Walk to J4

Minor: Hurl into darkness vs Will; Ikni (1d20+6=15, 3d6+6=17) Bonus to hit include combat advantage (for being stunned), cover (not superior) from sarcophagus and -2 penalty to ranged attack against prone opponent. Barely hit for 12 necrotic damage, stun him UEoNT, weakened (save ends) and teleport him at T8. He is floating at 15 feet in the air, out of reach of any melee attack. Levitation will last UEoNT. Thanks to his necrotic resistance, Ikni is at 1 hp and not dying.

Standard: Death bolt vs Fort; Martelai (1d20+6=26, 1d6+6=12) Crit for 12 necrotic damage and is immobilized (save ends)

Ghoul[G7]
Move: Walk to F2.
Standard: Ghoul Bite vs AC; Martelai (1d20+9=17, 3d6+4=11) Miss... Thanks to Bell's Song of Defense. The +9 was accounting the concealment and Sherryl's Aura, but Martelai's AC is 18 because of the Song.

Ghoul[G5]
Move: Shift to F6. He cannot do anything else while being dazed.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Status]Map Updated

Initiative:
27: Ghouls - Acted
23: Charina - Acted
21: Rhole - Acted
19: Martelai - Acted
17: Dreadclaws - Acted
11: Derien - Acted
11: Bell - Acted
7: Sherryl - Acted
3: Ikni

Heroes
Bell [E6]: 2/30, 1AP, Prone, Song of Defence (sustain Minor)
Charina [B8]: 34/34, 1AP
Derien [D6]: 13/36, 1AP, Bloodied, Prone
Ikni [T8]: 1/43, 1AP, Bloodied, Immobilized (save ends), Stunned (save ends), Weakened (save ends), Stunned UEoNT(Sherryl), Levitating UEoNT(Sherryl)
Martelai [E3]: 21/33, 1AP, Immobilized (save ends)
Rhole [B5]: 29/29, 1AP, Song of Courage (sustain Minor)

Enemies
Harold [E10]: -0
Jemny [K5]: -52, Bloodied
Ghoul [F6]: -0, Dazed
Ghoul [F2]: -7, Cursed
Frederic [G4]: -10, Dazed, Attack crit him on 18-20 UEoNT(Bell)
Sherryl [J4]: -0

Frederic Aura 5: Anyone attacking him and within his aura take 5 necrotic damage before the attack. That means Bell didn't spend his AP.
Sherryl Aura 5: Any creature within her aura cannot regain hit points and undead have +1

Bystanders
Dockworker [O1] : -0
Merryl [O6] : -0, Unconscious, Helpless (Bounded to Altar)
Ricky [L12] : -0, Helpless (Bounded by Ropes)
Jane [M12] : -0, Helpless (Bounded by Ropes)[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Ikni, thoroughly confused and battered by the sudden events, counts herself lucky to hold on to her weapon. She concentrates, and manages to regain her center. She lets out an involuntary squawk of surprise as she suddenly realizes that she is suspended in the air.

[sblock=ooc]

Ikni succeeds at saves vs. weakened, stunned, and immobilized.

[sblock=Pointless rules lawyering]
There's an argument to be made that Ikni can't be stunned (TENT) while she's already stunned (save ends), due to the overlapping durations rule:

PHB p.278 said:
Overlapping Durations: If a target is affected by multiple powers that have the same effect but end at different times, the effect with the most time remaining applies.

The argument would be that since "save ends" has the potential to last longer than "end of next turn", that it has the longer duration, and therefore the stunned (TENT) condition never actually happened, and Ikni is now free of any conditions (except Levitating. And, of course, bloodied.)

To be honest, I kind of disagree with that argument myself. But it's not up to me, it's up to you as DM.

And, of course, I think it's pointless in this case, since there's nothing useful Ikni is likely to be able to do away from her turn, 15' in the air and well away from the battle. But it's an interesting philosophical question.
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]As you do your save at the ends of your turn, that mean you are stunned this turn anyway, unless you have a power that allow you to save at the start of your turn.

Also, you are levitating at the moment, but as you can see, that's UEoNT of Sherryl... you'll be alive if you can reduce your falling damage. Or if someone can come to your rescue.[/SBLOCK]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Martelai makes strange grabbing sign toward closes ghoul and light around it increases just a fraction, marking it for the kill.

"You think you control these creatures, drow? It's an illusion. They are controled by magic and any powerful enough creature can warp the weave and take over.

Observe. Bell, look what I learned on the island."

With that Martelai becomes shadowy and appears by Bell's side, slightly transparent, shadows weaving in and out of his body.

He beckons
"First step. Setting your pathetic ass. Come here you rothe feeder and prove you're strong one."
Waiting for a moment seeing she resists magic-laced taunt he continues pointing Frederick anf the ghoul:

"By decree of Khirad you're now under my command! Go forth and destroy your mistress!"
Seeing both undead obey brings grim smile on half-elven lips.

"Now, when the ghoul attacks your living flesh do you think you can resist it?" he taunts

"Get them!" - he shouts to his companions

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Curse ghoul closest (F3)
Move: Ethereal Stride to E7 gaining +2 do all defenses and concealment from shadow walk
Standard: Cutting words vs. Sheryl's will (1d20+7=18, 1d8+5=11) if that hits pull her to H5
AP: Decree of Khirad vs Frederick; Ghoul; Damage; Curse (1d20+7=21, 1d20+7=26, 1d6+5=7, 1d6=4) - attacks Will; if hit Frederick goes to I5 and makes basic attack vs. Sheryll. On miss, he takes 7 psychic damage; Ghoul moves after him to H5 and makes basic attack vs. Fred. On miss 7 psychic damage; Hit or miss, he takes 4 curse damage.

OOC: Unfortunately, 19 is vs. ghoul, but this power isn't really critical heavy.

Saving throw (1d20=6)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
AC: 17 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 17
Bonuses: +3 to AC; +2 NADs; +1 to attack

HP: 21/33 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 8
CURSES: both ghouls

FEATS
Level 1: Sacrifice to Caiphon
Level 2: Improved Fate of the Void

POWERS
Eldritch Blast