• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Adventure] BH1: Merryl's Rescue (DM: Velmont, Judge: renau1g)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Post above is edited and finished!

You wish is my command, matron mother to be! :p

Fred is adjacent to Sheryl in I5, ghoul from F6 slid to H5. So if you have any burst 1 or better you can get them all three...

Unlucky for us, I missed with Cutting words otherwise there would be four creatures next to that ghoul in the corner :(

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=Martelai]Minor: Curse (The nearest ghoul (the one at F2, as shown in status) is alreday cursed. Moving to you and attacking needed two action and the uncursed ghoul was dazed last round and only shift toward Bell, while the cursed came to you. You might want to wait after your teleportation to curse the other ghoul.)

Move: Teleport at E7. You are at E3. That makes 4 squares move, you power allow to teleport 3 squares. Do you want to teleport to E5, which would allow the same close blast area?

Standard: Cutting words: Miss

AP: Decree of Khirad: Hit and Hit.

I'll assume you teleport to E5 and curse the not cursed ghoul. If you want to change something to this, tell me.

Frederic: Claw (1d20+9=23, 1d6+2=3) Hit for 3 necrotic damage and SHerryl takes 5 necrotic ongoing damage.

Ghoul: Claw (1d20+13=28, 1d6+4=9) Hit for 9 damage and Frederic is Immobilized (save ends) [/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Status]Map Updated

Initiative:
27: Ghouls - Acted
23: Charina
21: Rhole
19: Martelai - Acted
17: Dreadclaws
11: Derien
11: Bell
7: Sherryl
3: Ikni

Heroes
Bell [E6]: 2/30, 1AP, Prone, Song of Defence (sustain Minor)
Charina [B8]: 34/34, 1AP
Derien [D6]: 13/36, 1AP, Bloodied, Prone
Ikni [T8]: 1/43, 1AP, Bloodied, Immobilized (save ends), Stunned (save ends), Weakened (save ends), Stunned UEoNT(Sherryl), Levitating UEoNT(Sherryl)
Martelai [E3]: 21/33, 1AP, Immobilized (save ends)
Rhole [B5]: 29/29, 1AP, Song of Courage (sustain Minor)

Enemies
Harold [E10]: -0
Jemny [K5]: -52, Bloodied
Ghoul [H5]: -7, Cursed, Dazed
Ghoul [F2]: -7, Cursed
Frederic [I5]: -19, Dazed, Attack crit him on 18-20 UEoNT(Bell), Immobilized (save ends)
Sherryl [J4]: -3(-8), 5 necrotic ongoing damage (save ends).

Frederic Aura 5: Anyone attacking him and within his aura take 5 necrotic damage before the attack. That means Bell didn't spend his AP.
Sherryl Aura 5: Any creature within her aura cannot regain hit points and undead have +1

Bystanders
Dockworker [O1] : -0
Merryl [O6] : -0, Unconscious, Helpless (Bounded to Altar)
Ricky [L12] : -0, Helpless (Bounded by Ropes)
Jane [M12] : -0, Helpless (Bounded by Ropes)[/SBLOCK]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Charina hustles up to the front, past Ikni and Bell. She loads a special bolt with an hollow head filled with a special powder of her own creation. As the attention of Frederic, a ghoul and Sherryl is on her, she invokes Lolth curse to wrap herself and her surroundings in shadows. Then BAM! From the darkness comes the attack, the bolt exploding in the middle of the enemies and causing havok. A high pitched giggle can be heard from within the cloud.

[sblock=Actions]
Move: 6G
Minor: Cloud of Darkness
Standard: Blinding Barrage with SA (they don't see me)
vs AC 1:Ghoul 2:Fred (crit 18-20) 3:Sher (1d20+11=22, 1d20+11=22, 1d20+11=13, 2d10+6=15, 2d6=7)
Miss half damage

If this hit Frederic, he gets the sneak attack so it would be:

Ghoul: 15 damage, Blinded (Save ends)
Frederic: 22 damage, Blinded (save ends)
Sherryl: 7 damage
[/sblock]

Dunamin

First Post
[sblock=Karmariffic]
Ghoul: Claw (1d20+13=28, 1d6+4=9) Hit for 9 damage and Frederic is Immobilized (save ends)
Ironically, the ghoul also takes 5 damage thanks to Frederic’s aura. How the tables have turned. :D
[/sblock]
Seeing both ghouls on Ikni, Sherryl shouts "Take care of the others, that one will become my pawn." she release a bolt of darkness that hit Inki. She feels the darkness surrounding her. Everyone see her disappear. In the back of the room, a column of darkness appear, coming down from the free hand of the angel. In the column, Ikni reappear. Jemny stare at Ikni, floating out of her reach.
“Hang in there, rock chick!” Rhole shouts out, pun(s) probably not even intended.

The gnome jumps into the fray, soaring over the heads of his allies with a mighty leap. Naturally, this is accompanied by a suitably wailing pitch from his Great Ultra-Intense Thundering Audio Ripper to heighten the sense of drama. He darts through the battlefield, zig-zagging between blasts of necrotic energy and arbalest bolts, while navigating the scattered sarcophagi.

Finally closing in on the kidnapped children, Rhole dives into a mighty power-slide that takes him at least 30-foot down parallel to the altar plateau. This puts him out of view of most combatants, though you could swear there were hints of sparks from Rhole’s knees during his incredible slide... And that would probably have been pretty uncomfortable, had he not been resistant to fire.

“Stay cool, kids!” Rhole shouts as he passes the prisoners. “Wish I could say "I’ll be right back", but let’s face it: This is a horror scene; uttering those words would be a death sentence!”

“... Wait, uh... dammit!”

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Sustain Song of Courage.
Move & Standard: Rhole runs to O11, keeping against the plateau wall for cover (if his height even allows foes to target him at all).

I’m going for the save. In a moment Ikni’ll drop and be knocked out, making her easy prey for Jemny. Would’ve healed Bell first if I could, though - she might want to get out of Sherryl’s aura ASAP.

Rhole – Gnome Bard 2
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 12
AC 18, Fort 12, Reflex 16, Will 17
Resist 5 fire
HP 29/29, Bloodied 14, Surge Value 7, Surges 8/8
Speed 5, Initiative +2
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers: Cutting Words, Vicious Mockery;
Blunder, Majestic Word: 2/2, Words of Friendship; Fade Away, Ghost Sound;
Stirring Shout, Song of Courage
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dunamin

First Post
[sblock=Formalities]By the way, hope you don't mind that I edited your quote, Velmont; Ikni is female, not male. Not to be snarky, but it’s starting to become a running gag throughout her career. ;)[/sblock]

Velmont

First Post
[sblock=Karmariffic]
Ironically, the ghoul also takes 5 damage thanks to Frederic’s aura. How the tables have turned. :D

Don't push too hard your karma. Frederic aura is doing necrotic damage and the ghoul is an undead, so take a guess what happen to those damage. If it had been Sherryl who had attacked Frederic, that would have been another thing.

Update later today.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Frederic aura is doing necrotic damage and the ghoul is an undead, so take a guess what happen to those damage

Yeah, I didn't count on it. Even immobilization surprised me. Some things in 4e have a way of doing so to long established 3.5 traditions (such as undead paralyzation, sneak attacks and warforged having dragonmarks...)

But we did get +1 to hit and damage from Sheryil aura :)

Velmont

First Post
"You'll pay for it, drow, and I don't need to see you to kill you." shouts Frederic on an angry tone. He unleash again a blast of necrotic energy, but it seems more clumsy and only Martelai doesn't find a way to dodge it, unable to move from where he stand.

Jemny, seeing Rhole coming, quickly move next to him and strike him with a vicious infected wound, before retreating.

Harold, seeing his friend Jemny wounded, alone and against soon two enemies, go to her help and charge Rhole and strike him harder. He then quickly positioned himself to block Rhole advance.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Charina takes 5 necrotic damage from Frederic aura. The Ghoul took none, thanks to his necrotic Resistance.

Frederic
Standard: Terrifying Splendor [D3-H7] vs Will (Ghoul, Charina, Bell, Derien, Martelai) (1d20+7=13, 1d20+7=10, 1d20+5=8, 1d20+5=7, 1d20+7=23, 3d6+5=19) Hit Martelai only, for 19 damage.
Free: Save (Immobilized, Blind) (1d20=4, 1d20=19) Save against Blindness.

Jemny
Move: walk to O10
Standard: Claw vs AC; Rhole (1d20+11=18, 2d6+4=7) Hit for 7 damage and 5 ongoing necrotic damage and shift to Q8

Harold
Move: walk to K11
Standard: Charge at M11: Claw vs AC; Rhole (1d20+12=18, 2d6+4=14) Hit for 14 damage and 5 ongoing necrotic damage (don't stack, so ignored) and shift to P11.

I can't believe it, they still hit twice flush. But I so see it coming... Fade Away? If yes, Harold will miss, Rhole would be at 22(17)/29 hp and Harold would be at M11.[/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Status]Map Updated

Sarcophagus are difficult movement square and give cover to anyone

Initiative:
27: Ghouls - Acted
23: Charina - Acted
21: Rhole - Acted
19: Martelai - Acted
17: Dreadclaws - Acted
11: Derien
11: Bell
7: Sherryl
3: Ikni

Heroes
Bell [E6]: 2/30, 1AP, Bloodied, Prone, Song of Defence (sustain Minor)
Charina [G6]: 29/34, 1AP, Bloodied
Derien [D6]: 13/36, 1AP, Bloodied, Prone
Ikni [T8]: 1/43, 1AP, Bloodied, Stunned UEoNT(Sherryl), Levitating UEoNT(Sherryl)
Martelai [E3]: 2/33, 1AP, Immobilized (save ends), Prone
Rhole [O11]: 8(3)/29, 1AP, Bloodied, Song of Courage (sustain Minor), ongoing 5 necrotic damage (save end), Grant CA

Enemies
Harold [P11]: -0
Jemny [Q8]: -52, Bloodied
Ghoul [H5]: -22, Cursed, Dazed, Blind (save ends)
Ghoul [F2]: -7, Cursed
Frederic [I5]: -41, Bloodied, Dazed, Attack crit him on 18-20 UEoNT(Bell), Immobilized (save ends)
Sherryl [J4]: -3(-8), 5 necrotic ongoing damage (save ends).

Frederic Aura 5: Anyone attacking him and within his aura take 5 necrotic damage before the attack. That means Bell didn't spend his AP.
Sherryl Aura 5: Any creature within her aura cannot regain hit points and undead have +1

Bystanders
Dockworker [O1] : -0
Merryl [O6] : -0, Unconscious, Helpless (Bounded to Altar)
Ricky [L12] : -0, Helpless (Bounded by Ropes)
Jane [M12] : -0, Helpless (Bounded by Ropes)[/SBLOCK]

Dunamin

First Post
As the first dreadclaw’s strike connects, Rhole cringes and sticks out his tongue at it. A flash of smoke envelops him - reminiscent of what one would use for a cheap stage performance effect – leaving no trace of the gnome when it fades.

This causes the second dreadclaw to swing at nothing but air, resulting in an impotent display of misplaced force. Somewhere high above the pitched battle, Rock plays a mocking sound on a stone trombone to signify the failed assault.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpXAknykeg&feature=related"]Fade Away[/ame]

[sblock=Actions]
Immediate Reaction: Fade Away.

But I so see it coming... Fade Away? If yes, Harold will miss, Rhole would be at 22(17)/29 hp and Harold would be at M11.
Congrats, you win a dreadclaw puppy. Looks like a real dog, but really an undead poodle abomination. :D

Rhole – Gnome Bard 2
Passive Perception 16, Passive Insight 12
AC 18, Fort 12, Reflex 16, Will 17
Resist 5 fire
HP 22/29, Bloodied 14, Surge Value 7, Surges 8/8
Speed 5, Initiative +2
Action Points: 1, Second Wind
Powers: Cutting Words, Vicious Mockery;
Blunder, Majestic Word: 2/2, Words of Friendship; Fade Away, Ghost Sound;
Stirring Shout, Song of Courage
[/sblock]

Last edited: