Ceramic DM autumn '03(final judegment: new ceramic dm champ!)

Maldur

First Post
Damn this was hard.

But the judgements are in.
Justa seat of the pants, rough feeling judgement though. really hard to choose.

Good luck in the next round for alll the winners. And I hope to see all the ones that didn't make it this time, in the next episode of ceramic!!

:D

alsih2o

First Post
cool hand luke vs. macbeth

maldur-

macbeth:
A long, choatic story of a hardened criminal and a bumbling cia agent. All I
can say is ... Odd.

cool hand luke:
A long and chaotic story about a hardened criminal and a crazy shaman. All I
can say again is odd.

My vote goes to cool hand luke, as I like the story better, but this was
some strange round!

speaker-

I sent this in twice. The first time, cyberspace swallowed it. Or the
mafia got hold of it. I'll just be short, sweet, and too the point. I know
you two are about ready to go after us with pitchforks already.

Macbeth: The pictures flowed well with the story. Don't waste a cow.
Venmon mafia.

cool hand luke: I want to hear more. No fair leaving us with a
cliff-hanger :). Head from sharks stomach = great image.

Final Judgement.

Are you sure you want it?

Ok. I vote for Macbeth.

alsih2o-

macbeth, funny, and odd as all get out. i feel this is a great basis for a story, but that the writer needs more familiarity with the genre. the skipping back and forth between the serious actions and the dork character were entertaining, but could have been a little smoother.

cool hand luke- i am not a big fan of the unfinished story, but writers sem to be :) i liked how the characters were mostly handled, and the bit with the head was great.

if he promises not to use pics in his body again i will vote for macbeth.

Result- 2-1 for macbeth

alsih2o

First Post
gregor vs. p-kitty

maldur-

Gregor: Great story, great characters! One of the best stories I ever read in ceramic DM so far!

Piratecat: wow, after reading a great story by gregor, another really great story.

verdict: damn this is hard. By far the best entries are up against one another. Both deserve to continue to the next round.
but I have to choose for gregor this time! Sorry P-kitty

speaker-

High quality entries. Absolutely impressive work from both contestants.

Gregor: A thought-provoking story of revenge. Justice? Vengeance? Atwixt
the two, perhaps, and all ending in death. The depth of writing your piece
holds is impressive, both in diction and form. You captured the pictures
effectively and bent them to your tale.

Piratecat: Also makes an exceptional showing of it, with a cunning
protagonist who is at the same time a James Bond like figure and one that
somewhat defies that tradition. The language you use is stylistic and
fitting. I particularly enjoyed the subtle fragments of Spanish you added
to the dialogue. Your use of the pictures and archetypes of the
spy/thriller genre was direct and effective.

I wavered, I made lists, I argued. And in the end, my vote goes to:
Piratecat, by a whisker.

alsih2o-

gregor- i was not fond of the ending, or of the rape scene, and still i loved this story! when you can write about ugly stuff like that and hold my interest your are really writing. this is some great stuff. in some minor way the sumolady pic seems tacked on. i am not sure how well it works withing the story, but when the script is realeased for the movie i am sure it will be my favorite scene :)

p-kitty- i love this one too, the only real weakness i see is the quick glossing of the entry into the sumolady's compound. but i really enjoyed the hero. his attitude and concern left me with a urge to hear moe about him, and that is good writing.

i had a really hard time with this one. i expected big from p-kitty, and gregor lit me up as an unknown quantity. if i had known what gregor had up his keyboard/sleeve i may have posted a warning to p-kitty instead of him. similar sensations in how the timeline was handled but drastically different heroes. if i just keep writing this summation maybe a winner will spring into my mind :) four reads later, i just want more form each of you. but i have to go with piratecat, but barely and only by his more unusual handling of the pics, through going modern and having the woman be the bbeg.

result- piratecat at by 2-1, probably more like 1.6 to 1.4 if we could break it down that way...

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
sooo...

when i get check-ins the next round starts.

matchups-

"stoned" sparky
vs.
"lady-killer" piratecat

AND

"caught up in art" mythago
vs.
"never cross the mafia" macbeth

alsih2o

First Post
cool hand luke said:
good job macbeth.

You guys were left hanging, because my long term goals was to try to string together this story through the length of this contest.

i love this idea, but it has yet to be succesfully pulled off. when someone does this, i start attaching prizes to ceramic dm :)

cool hand luke

First Post
I figured it would be very hard to do, but what the heck. I used a setting I'm most familiar with, and that has agood degree of flexibility to attempt it.

I guess I should concentrate on just winning one round first, huh?

Macbeth

First Post
Well, cool hand luke, we both had entries that were good enough to win, but we can't both win. I want to thank you for some great competition (2-1, Wow) and for you entry. You see, I've been reading entires during breaks in studying for midterms, and you guys are about the only thing keeping me sane right now. All of the contestants deserve my thanks for giving me something else to think about besiade midterms. Thanks.

All I can say us: I;m glad I'm not up against piratecat, now lets get going. I want to see if that "none of women born shall harm Macbeth" thing holds true against Mythago

Gregor

First Post
My thanks to the judges for their thoughtful responses! One of the things I love about this contest is the plethora of responses from all judges, it really helps us to improve upon our work.

I knew this was a though match going up against the illustrious PirateCat and unfortunately I lost. However, I had a great time writing, waiting and reading.

I wish you the best of luck PirateCat, your prose was fantastic and I dug your lead character. If I were a judge I would have swayed towards your tale as well. I'll be cheering from the sidelines for you in the rest of this tourney...but you owe me a re-match! :D

On a personal note to Alsih2o: I knew the rape scene was a little strange and frankly I was not to sure of it myself. I wanted to do something dark and depressing and when it started to depress me, I knew it had to stay. I took a chance with a controversial topic and unfortunately it wasn't your cup of tea. Either way, I look forward to the next and my third Ceramic DM contest!

Thanks again to everyone!

Remove ads