Heroes #13:Duels/Dec.2008

drothgery

First Post
Is there any possibility at all that Sylar stays dead? Because he really ought to this time. He's unconscious, can't regenerate, and in a burning building. He's not getting out on his own, and neither Meredith nor her brother would even consider rescuing him. It's hard to think anyone would, in fact.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Is there any possibility at all that Sylar stays dead? Because he really ought to this time. He's unconscious, can't regenerate, and in a burning building. He's not getting out on his own, and neither Meredith nor her brother would even consider rescuing him. It's hard to think anyone would, in fact.

Ma Patrelli would.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer

Hopefully so.. But we all that Zachary Quinto has been seen on set of Volume 4. This means A) Sylar has a twin/clone and is dead. B) Sylar is alive or C) Sylar has a twin/clone AND is alive.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Peter with powers. It's been reset, it seems...which is good. He'll quickly regain his status as "the guy who can try to fight Syler," I expect...but someone has to be that guy. At least he won't be getting invisibility or time travel again. No Elle-Lightning either. Might work out. [/sblock]

Not really...for the very reason you state. Peter is the counter to Sylar, the one Hero strong enough to fight Sylar on his own terms (Hiro aside, perhaps).

And just as that result will mandate some confrontation between the two, the moment Peter comes into contact with Sylar, he will absorb Sylar's powers. Most of those powers he does not know about and so cannot easily access them...

But a few of them he does know about and will be able to access instinctively. Telekinesis, Lightning, and Superhealing at a minimum, will return to Peter's instant power repertoire.

(My guess is that they will conveniently forget that Peter knows "how to fix a watch", too. They won't reactivate the hunger in Peter Petrelli.)

That's the nature of Peter Petrelli. He's just monstrously powerful if you let him get out of control. The show has constrained those powers by:

1 - making him emo stupid, rather than intellectually clever;
2- hobbbles him by making it difficlt for him to access the powers he has abosorbed that require some sort of focus to open up the acquired power to ordinary use;
3- Seems to prevent him from using most of his acquired powers well, or at the least, multiple powers at the same time (there are exceptions to this, clearly); and
4- Places moral constraints upon the exercise of his powers

All of this works together to achieve the same result: prevent Peter;s power from breaking the show.

I think the one power they have realized is becoming increasingly difficult to deal with in terms of plot pacing and writing is time travel. That's a power and plot element they want to de-emphasize (for a while, at least).

Last edited:

Xath

Moder-gator
Has anyone considered that Peter might not actually be "reset?"

My theory is that the serum gave him the power of flight. We've seen that power types can run similarly in bloodlines. Nathan was different because his powers were fake. Now that Peter's powers are fake too, perhaps he was just gifted with the same power as his brother. So instead of being set up as a foil for Sylar, Peter is instead being set up as a foil for Nathan.

drothgery

First Post
Hopefully so.. But we all that Zachary Quinto has been seen on set of Volume 4. This means A) Sylar has a twin/clone and is dead. B) Sylar is alive or C) Sylar has a twin/clone AND is alive.

Can I at least hold out hope for
D) Flashbacks and dream sequences
E) Time travel
or
F) A shapeshifter or illusionist pretending to be Sylar?

DonTadow

First Post
Good episode and seems a strong indication that things are fixing. The stories were nice, but nicer was the fixes.

The writers didn't want to 100 percent get rid of time travel, that's cool. But they did want to seriously nerf it. The fact that it takes two people to travel through time works for me. Its someting they don't want to risk too often.

Hopefully peter's power has been nerfed as well. I'd like it if he can only manifest a power of someone he is near.

I hated Knox's death, but it was the strongest indication that this fixes the future.. or at least makes the future uncertain again. That works as we.

I am not sure if Sylar got the puppet guys power, he killed him before cutting his head open.

I hope suresh returns to season 1 suresh... before he first tried to kill sylar and just didn't put a bullet in him.

NOw, if season 3 is going to end good, it has to end with sylar's death.

FoxWander

Adventurer
Well I don't have much to add that hasn't already been mentioned. They reset the most plot-breaking powers and thinned the herd a bit, so I'm hopeful for next season. I just popped in to correct someone's nitpick...

First off, the totally nitpicky thing out of the way first, so people can slam me on it. :p The bottom of a vacutainer (the tubes the formula was in) is blunt and pretty resistant to breakage. I know this because I was a med tech for a while, and had daily contact with them. I almost died laughing when Ando "stabbed" himself with one.
Those weren't vacutainers holding the formula, they were autoinjectors. The military uses them for injecting chemical weapon counter agents (atropine and such). Being in the Air Force I actually thought it was a nice bit of verisimilitude as they were intending to give the formula to soldiers.

Anyway, that's all- at least LightPhoenix can go back to thinking the ep was pretty good and now nitpick free!

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Is there any possibility at all that Sylar stays dead? Because he really ought to this time. He's unconscious, can't regenerate, and in a burning building. .

Well, he's "dead" with a piece of glass in his neck which is preventing him from regenerating. Eventually it will get hot enough to melt the glass or he'll fall through the burning floor and the glass will get knocked out or a coroner cleaning up the scene will pull it out and he'll start regenerating again.

Remove ads