Heroes #3--One of Us, One of Them/Sept 2008

LightPhoenix

First Post
You know what's finally occured to me about this show? It would be much, much improved if they didn't put everyone in the same episode. The Hiro/Ando/Daphne storyline might have made an amusing episode all on its' own. The same with the HRG/Sylar team-up. Same with Parkman's spirit-walk. We won't forget the other characters exist, if we don't see them for a few weeks. Honest, we won't...

One of the best episodes, if not the best episode, was Company Man, in the first season, which only had Matt, Ted, HRG, Claire, and Mrs. Bennett. There were a few supporting characters (Lyle, the Haitian, Thompson, Mr. Muggles) but overall not many. I think that backs up your point pretty well.

I didn't think it at first, but I'm slowly coming into the camp that believes there are too many characters and that's hurting the show. Not that I particularly find any of the characters overly tedious (except possibly Hiro, and maybe Sylar), it's just that 10-15 minutes an episode (42 minutes total) doesn't even allow for a good vignette to be told.

Victim

First Post
I didn't think it at first, but I'm slowly coming into the camp that believes there are too many characters and that's hurting the show. Not that I particularly find any of the characters overly tedious (except possibly Hiro, and maybe Sylar), it's just that 10-15 minutes an episode (42 minutes total) doesn't even allow for a good vignette to be told.

Yeah. Just look at the list of actors/characters in the first post.

Krug

Newshound
Boy
those villains didn't last long.

And couldn't they get a prophetic painter that painted like Alex Ross?

I also wanted to scream at the screen when they used the word 'Buffet' again. WE GET IT.

Thankfully, no Super Suresh.

DonTadow

First Post
I looked at the scene again. Heidi had just talked to Nathan, and was ambushed by Angela outside his room. Angela tells Heidi that Nathan has been having delusions, and even talked about how he thought he could fly. She also mentions that Nathan's father also had similar delusions, before he killed himself, and asks that Heidi not mention this to anyone, in order to let Nathan keep his dignity.

Throughout this conversation, Angela is very touchy-feely with Heidi, and the camera focuses a lot on Angela touching Heidi's arm, playing with Heidi's hair, and so on. That's not the kind of thing you do if there's nothing fishy going on.

I don't think Angela has quite the Voice of Command that Eden did, but it's possible that she has some sort of projective empathy.
Hey wait, remember at the end of the first season and Peter was loss in the parking lot, wasn't that mama petreli too. It makes more sense if she has some type of mind command or suggestion power.

Wait, hold that off. She does. Remember the interrogation scene last year and she pushed Parker out of her mind. I think its all one related power (dreaming, suggestion) just hasn't been identified fully yet. I do think its suggestion though and not domination (as with parker and family).

Felon

First Post
Wait, hold that off. She does. Remember the interrogation scene last year and she pushed Parker out of her mind.
Personally, I don't buy it. She had experience dealing with Parkman's dad, so she just focused her surface thoughts on yelling at Parkman to get out of her head, which shocked him into doing just that.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I feel like they've run out of ideas because we've seen many of the things on this season in both previous seasons and sadly, done better.

No more time travel, no more visions of the future, no more stupidly using or ignoring your powers whil talking about what you'd like to do if you had that power. Need to kill Sylar with the Haitian around and can't quite figure it out? Put the gun to your own head and shoot because it can't be any easier amigo.

Dire Bare

Legend
Wow, surprised by the negative reactions. I enjoyed this episode. Already this season is several steps up from what we got last year. I'm not quite understanding the "plot based on the stupidity of character" complaints, but to each their own I guess.

I will say that I don't like the way Claire is turning out; she is a caricature of teenage angst. It's not that interesting. And I felt that Nikki's storyline was cut so abruptly that I want some closure with that. Perhaps Tracy's character will give us that, perhaps not. It's like a reversal of the Dr. Who thing (same actor, different character) and is really not so stupid as some claim. If the story is done well, we can get some answers.

I'm glad The Haitian's back. He's my favorite.
Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually seems to like the show and think it's well done! The whole "gosh-these-heroes-are-stupid" thing came up a lot last year on the boards too, and I never understood it then, and I don't now. Many of our heroes make suboptimal choices, also choices based on ignorance, and sometimes even flat out stupid choices . . . but to me this makes them more real and human and less like spandex wearing uberheroes from the four-color mags. It's kind of the whole point really.

With Claire, it's not that the teenage thing is taken too far, but that it is taken inconsistently too far. Remember, the character IS a 16-year-old teenager who is adopted, has issues with both biological and adoptive parents, and has been effectively raped by a really creepy guy. I think the direction she's taken so far in Season 3 makes sense, except for the fact she did so much maturing as a character during the last two seasons. But then again, it's been a while since I've hung around with teenagers, so maybe the "I'm-mature-today-but-angsty-tomorrow" thing is pretty realistic . . . .

Dire Bare

Legend
The only negative issue I have so far with Season 3 is the lack of each hero's "supporting cast" (with the notable exception of Claire and HRG's family). This really started in Season 2, but I've really started to notice it this season.

One of the things I loved about Season 1 is the heroes trying to figure out their new powers, their place in the world, and what the heck was going on, while at the same time having to deal with the families, friends, and jobs.

For example, while I love Parkman's character (don't understand the rampant Parkman hate on the boards), I do think the character is weaker now that he doesn't seem to be struggling with a real police job, his wife is written out of the picture, and he's not teamed up with the FBI agent chick (played by the awesome Clea DuVall). Same is true for Nathan and several of the other heroes.

I feel like they've run out of ideas because we've seen many of the things on this season in both previous seasons and sadly, done better.

Though I agree they need to do storylines that connect the entire season together and this is the crutch that they are using. There are other ways of doing it. But it means taking chances to do it.

Explore the "Company" more then discover either the government or a foriegn government has similiar "Companies". This could connect many people together as one company wants the heroes/people of another and kidnappings happen using powers and so on and so on.

But for now, this formula works and ratings are (were) holding so they won't change it. I mean- look at Smallville. They ran 7 seasons with the same plot devices. The Love triangle of Clark, lana and Lex with Jor-El / His devices messing with things. 7 Seasons.

Remove ads