Heroes #4--I Am Become Death/Oct 2008

GlassJaw

Hero
I got around to watching this after the debate.

Ugh, I find this show utterly frustrating. It's getting worse. Whoever thought making time travel the core of this season's storyline is a moron. And the plot only gets more convoluted with each "jump". Sylar and the kid and him going supernova almost did it for me. The phrase "nuked the fridge" came to mind.

I'm enjoying Fringe much more than Heroes this season.

Mallus

Legend
How is this any different from a normal (read: not great) comic book? Especially one that basically needed a reboot.

I think the expectations for this show are too high.
So do I. I think you've made a great point JC. Heroes simply has all the flaws of your average mainstream superhero comic. It embodies rather than transcends the genre. I'm enjoying this season of Heroes -- particularly the last episode-- even though it doesn't really make a lick of sense. I'm judging it for what it is; a superhero comic brought to television.

(I suspect part of the problem is that superhero comics are a odd duck, genre-wise; a medium meant for kids that's now almost exclusively consumed by adults. The same conventions that the target audience demand also don't bear up to adult scrutiny and expectations vis-a-vis plot/character continuity.)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Good point about the scar...though I'm not sure how he can 'lose' a power.

One thing about Peter that's interesting, and may or may not be relevant:

Peter's power is empathic. In the scene with Claude, he says that to use a power, he has to connect with that person emotionally. To concentrate on how that person makes him feel.

This might help explain why he sometimes has trouble using powers, to my mind. As well as why he didn't connect with Sylar's powers before this. Maybe Future Peter is so disconnected from Future Claire that he can no longer "interface" with her power. Of course, I'm sure there's a dozen instances where this idea is weakened or negated, but it's something I haven't seen brought up before.

As for the rest:

Evil Claire feels forced and wooden. Oh wow, she tortures people now. Still not scary. It's meant to be a shock, but it comes off as trite.

I liked the interplay between Daphne and Parkman and Molly.

I was curious about Sylar's wife, and if his son has powers. I got the impression he was trying to keep his boy well away from powers, no doubt because he didn't want to feel an urge to look at his brain.

Peter didn't try to get at Nathan's brain for his power, he wanted to "understand" Nathan. What his motivations were. What he wanted. Telepathy didn't give him the answers...Nathan's mind was too disciplined. Peter didn't trust what he saw. There was another way...an easier, surer way...and all he had to do was take a look inside...

Just thoughts.

DonTadow

First Post
A plot hole.

That is not correct. Borrowed powers may work differently but Peter did come back to life in season 1. I forget how but Peter got a shard of glass in the back of his brain and he was dragged to Ma Patrelli's house. Peter was 100% dead at that point and then the shard was removed. Peter then came back to life. Now at that point Claire was nearby but she was also nearby when Future Peter was on the slab dead.

What I mean is if the hatian is arround and a glass goes to Claires head, I bet she won't stay dead. I think because her power is inherent and pure, that the hatian can not turn hers off. That's why Marlo makes a point of saying she's the one who can never die.

DonTadow

First Post
to the Daphne-mobile... :D It is always been an issue, Peter and Hiro don't just teleport, they teleport through time...to the exact moment of plot!

Oh its far more worse. Remember the first dozen episodes and it seemed like Noah was everywhere all the time. Dallas, New York, Las Vegas. There was a rumor for a mineute that he had the power to teleport. Nope its just the writer always putting everyone in the exact spot they are suppose to. The worst Heroes moment was when the twins happened to find Sylar on the side of the road. Millions of roads, Millions of places, MIllians of doctors they happen to meet one another.

I do agree with a previous poster that this is based off a comic and there is little growth in the comic. However, every now and then there is just enough to keep us reading.

Krug

Newshound
Was quite disappointed. The premise had good potential, but the writers seem to be in a mad rush to squeeze the story into one episode. Couldn't they let it breathe a little and stretch it out? I thought future Sylar was interesting. Who did he marry? The irony of him not using his powers in a world that everyone has them would have been potentially intriguing.

Bringing Adam back just seemed... dull. Once again, the writers can't just let the dead stay dead. It seemed a sign of pure desperation.

Frankly, it doesn't look good for the series: Ratings: 'Dancing With the Stars' stays strong, 'Chuck,' Heroes' continue to decline | Ratings, TV Biz, TV Ratings | Hollywood Insider | EW.com

Heroes tallied just 8.2 million at 9 p.m., a loss of about a million viewers from last week, and well below last year’s 11.6 million average.

Vocenoctum

First Post
How is this any different from a normal (read: not great) comic book? Especially one that basically needed a reboot.
::snip::
My roundabout point is that the show is still getting everyone in this thread to tune in every week. It's doing more than 95% of people give it credit for.

The thing is, folks tune in dispite the writing rather than because of it, just like comic books with bad runs resulting in folks complaining about it while hoping it returns to quality. Heroes emulating questionable quality and relying on the past to keep folks interested doesn't seem like a winning strategy.

And no, not everyone in this thread tunes in every week. It depends on how invested you are in the show. Haven't seen anything about the shows ratings for this season, so not sure how the overall public is taking it.
::edit:: I read the link and even less folks view this season than last season, which was down from first season...

Last edited:

WayneLigon

Adventurer
The thing is, folks tune in dispite the writing rather than because of it, just like comic books with bad runs resulting in folks complaining about it while hoping it returns to quality.

Or, there are people like me who see absolutely nothing wrong with the writing or the characters and think both are great. It's still the best show on TV, period.

JoeGKushner

First Post

Such reboots usually happen every 10-20 years, not every season.

Spider Man not married?

Super Man's Pa Kent dying?

Crisis of Infinite Earths?

These things happen once every blue moon, not once a season.

Remove ads