Heroes #4--I Am Become Death/Oct 2008

DonTadow

First Post
Kind of surprised no one has connected future Sylar to Bennett, horn rimmed glasses, in the house where Claire grew up, the dog and the son named Noah...

And what did Clair mean when she said that sylar took it look from her. This has me speculating that ...none of that was real.. well the house and kid anyway and that sylar recreated his own world to live in, away from everyone.

Last edited:

rowport

First Post
And what did Clair mean when she said that sylar took her look from her. This has me speculating that ...none of that was real.. well the house and kid anyway and that sylar recreated his own world to live in, away from everyone.

That is a pretty cool theory. I did not think of that.

I have been bugged by how two bullets could take out Future Peter, and I have a theory (which also led me to one about Future Sylar/Gabriel). Here it is: That version of Peter did not have fast healing because he never saved Claire in that universe. That would explain his easy death, and also his having the facial scar.

Similarly, Gabriel still has all the powers he "ate" because his mind was never stripped in that universe. I realized that he still had the radiation from the Exploding Man when he went kaboom-- but in our time he only had telekensis left after Season One.

Now, how the above relates to Claire being a bad-a** chick who hates Peter as much as Sylar is not clear to me, but I bet it is because *Sylar* has Future Claire's power-- SINCE PETER NEVER SAVED HER IN THAT UNIVERSE! That would conveniently allow Future Sylar/Gabriel to survive blowing up, even though Future Peter can die from simple gunfire.

Neat, huh? Well, it is a theory, anyway. Poke holes in it, people! :)

I have been bugged by how two bullets could take out Future Peter, and I have a theory (which also led me to one about Future Sylar/Gabriel). Here it is: That version of Peter did not have fast healing because he never saved Claire in that universe. That would explain his easy death, and also his having the facial scar.
I got the impression that it was a future where Peter saved Claire, since the one where he didn't was the one that Hiro prevented from happening.

John Crichton

First Post
The thing is, folks tune in dispite the writing rather than because of it, just like comic books with bad runs resulting in folks complaining about it while hoping it returns to quality. Heroes emulating questionable quality and relying on the past to keep folks interested doesn't seem like a winning strategy.
Never said it was. Was just saying that the show was NEVER that great to begin with. Some shining moments, yes. Overall, not so much.

And no, not everyone in this thread tunes in every week.
I'd say most people watch the show and don't miss an episode. That was my point.

Such reboots usually happen every 10-20 years, not every season.

>snip<

These things happen once every blue moon, not once a season.
That's fair. I was referring to last season that was panned universally (not that I agree) and the reaction of the production team basically starting over.

Darkwolf71

First Post
I have a theory (which also led me to one about Future Sylar/Gabriel). Here it is: That version of Peter did not have fast healing because he never saved Claire in that universe. That would explain his easy death, and also his having the facial scar.

<snip>

Now, how the above relates to Claire being a bad-a** chick who hates Peter as much as Sylar is not clear to me, but I bet it is because *Sylar* has Future Claire's power-- SINCE PETER NEVER SAVED HER IN THAT UNIVERSE! That would conveniently allow Future Sylar/Gabriel to survive blowing up, even though Future Peter can die from simple gunfire.

Neat, huh? Well, it is a theory, anyway. Poke holes in it, people! :)
Biggest hole? It's a different 'future' not universe. The past is unchanged. I'm not sure how that works with FP's scar. They will have to address that eventually, but even 'if' it was a different universe, Pete doesn't have to have saved Claire to gain her power, only have met her and we saw them together in the season opener. :p
So, how about a wild thought...Sylar's Noah was HRG Noah in the future! :-S By a power Bennett could have been reverted to a kid!
Unlikely, but freaking hilarious! :D

Arnwyn

First Post
Kind of surprised no one has connected future Sylar to Bennett, horn rimmed glasses, in the house where Claire grew up, the dog and the son named Noah...
As another said - noticed, didn't care. Time-travel is a struggle to enjoy at the best of times, and I don't particularly care about a doomed future.

John Crichton said:
That's fair. I was referring to last season that was panned universally (not that I agree) and the reaction of the production team basically starting over.
Too bad they're doing exactly not that. It's just S2, continued.

Felon

First Post
So do I. I think you've made a great point JC. Heroes simply has all the flaws of your average mainstream superhero comic. It embodies rather than transcends the genre.
This "emulating the genre" rationalization has been tossed out plenty of times. Of course, when someone makes reference to some element of the show being too boring and mundane (say, Parkman), then we get some screed about how the characters of heroes aren't comic-book characters, but rather ordinary people. So, they get an easy out either way.

Bad storytelling is bad storytelling, doesn't matter what the genre is.

Felon

First Post
Don't understand your point here. He gets his powers by proximity. He's been close to Claire plenty of times.

Similarly, Gabriel still has all the powers he "ate" because his mind was never stripped in that universe. I realized that he still had the radiation from the Exploding Man when he went kaboom-- but in our time he only had telekensis left after Season One.
As has been discussed before, we can't read a lot into this because Sylar has almost always relied on telekinesis to the exclusion of all else. He's never used any of the other offensive powers, like the freezing and melting powers he supposedly acquired from previous victims.

Claire said a bullet in the brain stem would take Peter out. Did Future Pete get shot in the head, or was it torso shots only?

Mallus

Legend
This "emulating the genre" rationalization has been tossed out plenty of times.
I was explaining how I viewed show. I feel it more-or-less successfully disarmsmy criticisms by being sufficiently comic book-like.

Bad storytelling is bad storytelling, doesn't matter what the genre is.
I'm a firm believer in the idea of 'appropriate criticism'. I don't read an X-Men comic the same way I read Jane Austen. Different specific criteria exist for different kinds of literature (though you're absolutely right to say certain universal exist -- mostly).

Really, you can't apply the same criteria to every type (or instance) of story.

Remove ads