Heroes #3--One of Us, One of Them/Sept 2008

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I admit that I've liked this season so far. I think the direction that their taking Sylar is needed. He can't just be an unredeemable monster.

The best bad guys are the ones that have a past and something they care about. Otherwise they are just mindless killing machines.

Take the Terminator. In the first movie it was a heartless killing machine designed to inspire fear in the protagonists and the audience. But in the second movie, with some reprograming, the Terminator becomes an antihero.

Sylar needs to go through something similar but more profound. He needs to have an epiphany. He needs to learn that he won't survive if he makes enemies of everyone.

Perhaps he helps save the world in order to save himself. And perhaps it gives him purpose. Maybe his "addiction" becomes his personal torture as he tries to resist the temptation by isolating himself. He goes through intense withdrawl pains, or something.

He needs some humanizing or we'll all end up hating him for being a stereotypically evil bad guy. If he's going to remain unredeemably evil then he needs to die. Perhaps he encounters someone who he can't kill (i.e. skin can't be pierced) and becomes obsessed with defeating them, which leads to his destruction by his own hand.

just my thoughts.

KF72

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
For example, while I love Parkman's character (don't understand the rampant Parkman hate on the boards), I do think the character is weaker now that he doesn't seem to be struggling with a real police job, his wife is written out of the picture, and he's not teamed up with the FBI agent chick (played by the awesome Clea DuVall). Same is true for Nathan and several of the other heroes.

Agreed. I like Parkman, and I particularly liked him in relation to actual police work and working with the FBI (who apparently have lost all interest now there are nuclear explosions and all kind of other weird stuff, although they were quite interested when it was just a serial killer)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Take the Terminator. In the first movie it was a heartless killing machine designed to inspire fear in the protagonists and the audience. But in the second movie, with some reprograming, the Terminator becomes an antihero.

Now for me, the Terminator in movie 1 was the perfect character, and everything that came after that weakened and cheapened the original.

So for me, following your analogy, I'd like to see Sylar dead at the end of season 1; left as the perfect antagonist in that series, and not ending up cheapened.

I recognise that this is just my view and not one that is generally held, but there it is :)

Remove ads