HEROES Vol 5 #1 & 2:Orientation/Season 4/09

Felon

First Post
I'm not sure if we're supposed to feel like the mystery is resolved. Claire's "push, jump, fall" test indicated a jump, but then what's this business with a suicide note appearing out of nowhere and the girl being shown to have everything to live for?

The new friend is the prime suspect of course, by simple virtue of being the only suspect we have. She'd have to be a real psycho to murder someone just to open a roomie slot so she can hang out with someone she just met, but whatever, that's Heroes for you. The real question is, will she conveniently turn out to have powers? And if so, what power is it? Invisibility or illusions perhaps? Mind control?

The new friend is the prime suspect of course, by simple virtue of being the only suspect we have. She'd have to be a real psycho to murder someone just to open a roomie slot so she can hang out with someone she just met, but whatever, that's Heroes for you. The real question is, will she conveniently turn out to have powers? And if so, what power is it? Invisibility or illusions perhaps? Mind control?
She could be a puppeteer just like Doyle.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Ah well, at least Heroes made it farther than The 4400, eh?

First, a caveat: I have not, as of yet, watched Heroes this season. Not that it really has any bearing on the post I'm about to make, but I thought I'd throw it in, for the sake of full acknowledgment.

I think that there's an interesting parallel to be made between Heroes and The 4400. Both of their first full seasons were pretty good. I say "full seasons" because the actual first season of 4400 was the mini-series. However, after that, they both started to go significantly downhill. I think the reason for this is that both shows tried to do the same thing: keeping the formula the same without significantly altering the plot. Sure, there were episodes here and there that moved forward (more so in The 4400, IMO) but overall neither seemed to have a focus towards its endpoint. All they could manage were more ways to increase the number of powers.

There's a story I recall the writers making about The 4400, regarding the miniseries. The twist at the end of the first season wasn't originally going to be shown, but held back as the "series secret," so to speak. When they didn't think they'd get a second season, someone decided that the twist should be included. It turned into a great ending for the miniseries. Writers, and specifically IMO the writers of Heroes and The 4400, were too scared of revealing secrets, especially those that would move the plot significantly. I think this is born out of a justifiable fear that if you change things too much, you'll lose viewers and be out of a job.

Anyway, I think it's an apt comparison between the two shows.

Zzzzz... here we go again. Well I think this will definitely be Heroes last breath.
It's always so hard to say. I finished watching the opener and the latest episode and... it didn't suck. Damning with faint praise, of course, but they might - just MIGHT - be able to pull it out. Would have been merciful if they'd just cancelled it because for utterly inexplicable reasons I am clearly compelled to watch it to the last.

I finally decided to give them a chance, and indeed, they were actually kinda good. The actors are generally solid, and now that the plot isn't ridiculously stupid, I might actually enjoy this show again.

Remove ads