Heroes #16: Building 26-Season 3 2009

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
I liked the episode, but I'm easy to please. Looks like next week will have some big reveal about HRG (which I have mixed feelings about; it's good to keep him in the grey, always guessing what he'll do next and why).

Am I the only one who picked up a lesbian subtext in the relationship between the two indian women?

fodigg

First Post
I liked the episode a lot. I'm starting to really see some chemistry between Sylar and his evil sidekick. It's surprisingly satisfying.

Claire's over-acting aside, at least she finally accomplished something in this episode. With the help of her mother, she convinced her father that keeping her safe wasn't the same as doing the right thing, and that it was worth it to do the right thing. I'm really looking forward to next episode focusing on him.

However, what really annoyed me was Alex-the-fish-boy. But not for any fault of the actors. Here's how their first meeting should have gone:

Alex: Oh, we just don't get many girls in here.

Claire: Why not? Where's your manga section?

Alex: Well, we don't really have a-

Claire: What about Sandman? Fables? Nothing by Alan Moore?

Alex: We have Watchmen!

Claire: Everybody has Watchmen. If you don't carry Top 10 and Promethea it doesn't count. Or even V for Vendetta. That has a pretty good love story. Christ, I don't even see any Betty & Veronica in here.

Alex: Nobody reads Betty & Veronica.

Claire: No, you don't read Betty & Veronica. But maybe if you got off your high horse you might find a wider audience. Honestly I don't understand how you can afford to turn away customers like that in this economy.

Alex: I have never had someone come in and ask for Betty & Veronica.

Claire: You wait for people to ask? Why did I make it to the counter before you asked if I needed something? The only way a shop can survive these days is with employee expertise. That was crap salesmanship.

Alex: Look lady-

Claire: Look. Right here. Kirkman's The Walking Dead. You think girls don't go see zombie movies? You think it's too "hardcore" for widdle-ol-cheerleaders? This book is a soap opera with zombies. You should be selling this to every girl my age who walks by your store. Don't wait for them to come in, stand outside and welcome them in. Let them know you have the product.

Alex: But-

Claire: Or here. You have Maus volumes 1 and 2. You could sell this to anyone, regardless of age. You should have someone down at the local library pushing this book. You should be talking to teachers at the local community college and give their students a discount if they cover it in history class.

Alex: Seriously, I'm a little sick of-

Claire: This is the worst comic book store ever. I hope my father kills you.

I managed a comic book store for four years. If you set your store up to be a boy's club it will be. "Girls" were a majority of our customers and a good portion of our employees. One of latter was even a popular blonde cheerleader.

Comics aren't just for boys, Alex. Get over yourself.

DonTadow

First Post
I liked the episode, but I'm easy to please. Looks like next week will have some big reveal about HRG (which I have mixed feelings about; it's good to keep him in the grey, always guessing what he'll do next and why).

Am I the only one who picked up a lesbian subtext in the relationship between the two indian women?

Dumbest episode of the volume. (and no you weren't the only one who picked up on that.. by the way I don't know any old school Indian fathers who would stand for that)

The one good thing about this show, I liked the abduction at the end other than that it felt like they reassembled the writing methods of last season.

The worst was the contrived Nicky insuring the funding angle. Nicky heard the womansay shes shutting down the project, and yet she kills someone in front of her. Looking at he rsquare in the eye. Nicky happened to escape at the right moment of plot and did what she needed to do at the moment of plot. Nicky the politician who is more of an expert of maneuvering herself through vocally than with her power.

Then there was the whole ando kidnapping. How in the world does one grown man discappacitate another grown man, drag him off and hide him ??? in a matter of seconds. At first I thought he had some type of power, (like a shadow ability) but no, it was just crappy writing. And the hiro rushing into a private wedding of a rich man without any type f security. This reeks of Smallville Lex Luthor style of guarding. It felt like they tried to cram this story in to this episode.

As for aquaman, if he can breathe underwater, why not find a lake, river and sleep among the fish for a few days.

I'm real disappointed. It seems that most people in this thread saw the last 10 minutes and gave it a thumbs up based on that, forgetting about the contrived nicky situation, the forced hiro/ando (hiro crybaby plot), and the overacting by claire (and why in the world did she not just say hey i know you have a power there are people coming to take you for it, instead of dragging out the inititial conversation. Plus the ending worked better if Sylar lets the boy be captured, i hate the serial killer with a heart routine. The cold blooded killer is more interesting.

Last edited:

Arnwyn

First Post
Dumbest episode of the volume.

I'm real disappointed. It seems that most people in this thread saw the last 10 minutes and gave it a thumbs up based on that, forgetting about the contrived nicky situation, the forced hiro/ando (hiro crybaby plot), and the overacting by claire (and why in the world did she not just say hey i know you have a power there are people coming to take you for it, instead of dragging out the inititial conversation. Plus the ending worked better if Sylar lets the boy be captured, i hate the serial killer with a heart routine. The cold blooded killer is more interesting.
Whew. For a second there, I thought I fell into some sort of bizarro world, where people were inexplicably lauding the worst episode of this volume.

It was nearly unwatchable. Most of the episode was whiny Claire wallowing in bouts of TEH ANGST that we've seen throughout every bloody season so far. I'm glad other people like this, I suppose, but... :\

And Sylar's story is verging into complete and utter lunacy. Going back for annoying-git-boy just makes me shake my head. Who thinks this story is better with that guy in it? Really? I read the darndest things on ENWorld sometimes. But, I'm glad others like it...

The silliness of Hiro and Ando's 'quick foray' to India has already been noted; same with the set-up at Nathan's HQ. As if we didn't see that coming.

I'll echo another poster: When is the good writer coming back?

Thumbs up on the shining point of this volume so far: the quite-possibly-awesome trio of Parkman, Suresh, and Peter - making off with Bennett! Good stuff.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
Plus the ending worked better if Sylar lets the boy be captured, i hate the serial killer with a heart routine. The cold blooded killer is more interesting.

Double-plus agreed. When Sylar left the kid looking gobsmacked as he drove off, I thought "Great, finally the old Sylar is back" but alas it was not to be.

I did like the conversation about Sylar being a serial killer, though.

Steel_Wind

Legend
The kid is being offered up throughout as a potential genetic "brother" to Sylar. That's presmably why Sylar has not killed him yet.

Possibility: just throwing it out there that mebbe the kid really isn't a kid at all - and that he is, in fact, Sylar's father in disguise trying to figure out what Sylar wants with him before he reveals himself.

Too wierd? I know. Just sayin'.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
See I tought this one was better than the last one because it lacked the complete stupidity of the characters that was episode 2. Sure the Claire and Syler things are played out but I would rather deal with that then be hitting my head against a wall going "Just how stupid are you and why haven't you died of your stupidity yet." I though that when Tracy killed they guy at first, but the writers at least had the forsight to explain her actions. I still think she is stupid, but she is at least playing an angle and is not Darwin Award stupid. I don't think the episode was great but I can at least deal with melodrama and bad acting.

fodigg

First Post
Possibility: just throwing it out there that mebbe the kid really isn't a kid at all - and that he is, in fact, Sylar's father in disguise trying to figure out what Sylar wants with him before he reveals himself.

Interesting, but it would depend on if Sylar's "lie detector" ability works on things that are written down, because the kid gave him an address and it didn't go off.

In fact, the kid even said "here's his address" and it didn't go off.

Remove ads