Heroes#10: The Eclipse : Part 1/Nov2008

DonTadow

First Post
Not sure how anything you say here amounts to begging to differ.

The basic concept for Heroes is fine. But building on it, they should've taken into account proper scaling of abilities. It's not like comic books are jam-packed full of superheroes that have the power to travel back in time and change history. There's a reason for that. The ability to copy other folks' powers is usually the realm of a BBEG (e.g. Amazo, Super-Adaptoid); when Heroes can do it, it's usually with significant limitations (Rogue, Mimic). Conversely, most comic book writers would understand the limited potential of a character that's a petite little girl with a purely defensive power. For some reason, the writers of Heroes thought they could get away with it.
I'm sorry, i only meant to highlight a comment (and that said that heroes was like a comic book my bad) but your'e absolutely right. What i was trying to say was in a graphic novel with a beginning and an end, you can have heroes who have amazing powers like power absorbtion and not worry too much about nurfing them, justh having villians that can challenge them. But what you cant have is a contious series with a hero who can auto take any power he comes in contact with and not expect him to be more powerful than any villian he comes across. This and time travel are typical BBEG abilities.

YOu're right, the writers of heroes wrote themsleves into a corner, having a great first season (the graphic novel) and not knowing where to go from there. Thus the heroes with the most extrodinary powers are treated as being total idiots. Another problem was that the heroes are stuck with characters with very very basic powers like flight. Fight is usually a basic ability of a hero, so it seems so forced when they constantly try to maneuver ways to make flight "viable."

And, because it seems that everyone in the heroes universe has the "warp" ability and always know where to find who they need at the right time, flight (and to an extent instant teleport) are only used as huge plot devices and comes off as forced.

LIke i've said before heroes is one of the better scifi shows on television, a remnant of its former self, and my digust is more or less like a guy watching something he enjoys head to cancelation city. So its difficult for me to just smile and nod at the horrible paths that will prevent a 4th season.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
How about this: when Claire got hurt, he's not sure how badly she's injured until after he's gotten her away from Elle and Sylar. After all, unlike us, he didn't know her power wasn't functioning as a result of the eclipse, so he has no idea what's going on with her. At the time of the "whisking away" she could've been dying for all he knew.

So, he gets her out of harm's way, ascertains that she doesn't need urgent medical attention, drops her off, then runs back to snipe the two nutjobs--just in time for the eclipse to end, of course, and be unable to seal the deeal.

Then it's not really a choice with consequences.

Also, he couldn't check on her at the house quickly, while Elle and Sylar were manhandled? After all, he didn't even get her on the couch before proclaiming it was a flesh wound.

Also, once he figured out the powers weren't working... given all three failed... he wouldn't take five seconds to cap the two of them?

Ironically, I find the second half much more satisfying... HRG as to make a choice to stay with Claire or persue the baddies... chooses the latter, and then Claire gets worse. That's consequence, of a minor sort I suppose.

I'm assuming that someone who is essentially a trained assassin, like HGR, would know that the wound was serious or not.

I'd disagree. HRG probably knows nothing about medicine except for the barest of first aid procedures. It's highly doubtful he's proficient enough to diagnose a gun shot - that's why they have scanners to detect fragments.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Here's a thought: If you are Sylar and Elle, two people who have first hand experience dealing with someone as ruthless and relentless as HRG, would you even stick around in the house after seeing HRG leave with Claire?

It's highly doubtful he's proficient enough to diagnose a gun shot - that's why they have scanners to detect fragments.

Yeah, but considering where she was shot its also easy to surmise that the wound would be serious (if not fatal) even if the bullet some how managed to miss her ribs, shoulder blade, or spine before leaving her body.

The best case scenario: The bullet hit Claire beneath her shoulder, essentially hitting her arm pit, while missing several nerves and arteries and her ribs.

Last edited:

GSHamster

Adventurer
I think you guys are overthinking the HRG thing. Claire is his weak point (his kryptonite, if you will) where he becomes irrational.

He saw her get hurt, so his first priority was to get her to safety. After she is safe (bandaged, at home, asleep), his rationality reasserts itself and he goes back to take out Sylar/Elle.

DonTadow

First Post
I think you guys are overthinking the HRG thing. Claire is his weak point (his kryptonite, if you will) where he becomes irrational.

He saw her get hurt, so his first priority was to get her to safety. After she is safe (bandaged, at home, asleep), his rationality reasserts itself and he goes back to take out Sylar/Elle.
I somewhat buy the scene, but it did feel like one of those instances on heroe where the hero goes stupid to keep people alive. It only takes a few seconds to plug someone with a bullet hole, not to kill them, but to protect your daughter. To leave both alive, with a gun endangered him and claire.

Sure it was a frantic situation, which is why i somewhat buy it. But that little nagging of "just shoot them both now" is still there.

Krug

Newshound
The reason I keep watching is that there are some good segments in there. Too bad for the last episode it was just... sucko. Characters behaving bizarrely, acting stupidly (yes what STRANGE EVENT IS CURRENTLY OCCURING THAT IS DRAINING ME OF MY POWERS) and just little sense overall.

Oh well lets hope for lotsa permanent death in the next ep. They need it if they're gonna cut their $4 mil an episode budget.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
Then it's not really a choice with consequences.

Also, he couldn't check on her at the house quickly, while Elle and Sylar were manhandled? After all, he didn't even get her on the couch before proclaiming it was a flesh wound.

Also, once he figured out the powers weren't working... given all three failed... he wouldn't take five seconds to cap the two of them?
The way I see it, it's not an issue of what decisions could have or should have made so much as it is whether or not the impulse he acted on is credible. Isn't it likely that by the time he got Claire home he had a better idea that her condition was stable than he did in the middle of a melee with a couple of guys whose powers might, for all he knew, turn back on in an instant? Is HRG enough of a loving father to act on pure protective instinct in the spur of the moment? I'd say yes in both cases, and can give them a pass on that particular inefficient decision.

Right. And besides, although the trip between point A and B happened off-camera, that doesn't it only took two minutes. He probably had time to assert that her pulse wasn't fading, she wasn't bleeding out all over the upholstery, or showing the signs of internal bleeding, et cetera.

Sure it was a frantic situation, which is why i somewhat buy it. But that little nagging of "just shoot them both now" is still there.
I don't disagree. That's one of those reactions we're used to from watching movies and playing RPG's. Go for the kill.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
I'm sorry, i only meant to highlight a comment (and that said that heroes was like a comic book my bad) but your'e absolutely right. What i was trying to say was in a graphic novel with a beginning and an end, you can have heroes who have amazing powers like power absorbtion and not worry too much about nurfing them, justh having villians that can challenge them. But what you cant have is a contious series with a hero who can auto take any power he comes in contact with and not expect him to be more powerful than any villian he comes across. This and time travel are typical BBEG abilities.

YOu're right, the writers of heroes wrote themsleves into a corner, having a great first season (the graphic novel) and not knowing where to go from there. Thus the heroes with the most extrodinary powers are treated as being total idiots. Another problem was that the heroes are stuck with characters with very very basic powers like flight. Fight is usually a basic ability of a hero, so it seems so forced when they constantly try to maneuver ways to make flight "viable."
Yep, to all of that. They keep giving themselves great situations to write out these characters, and they keep trying to play fake-out instead.

Do we even know yet how Nathan came back from the dead if Linderman was never actually around to heal him?

Remove ads