• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes# 12: Our Father/Dec 2008

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It happened quickly.

When The Haitian's power crapped out Pa Patrelli tried to do the Sylar Buzz Saw attack on Peter which then caused him to fire the gun.
Have to check but think the scar is going to be on the wrong side of Peter's face!

url]

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
Ah, okay, I could be completely wrong about the scar then. I was remembering the scar as being in a different position (or I am remembering the episode from Monday incorrectly)... blah, my brain has gone stupider than Flint and Mohinder combined ;)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Have to check but think the scar is going to be on the wrong side of Peter's face!
Ah, okay, I could be completely wrong about the scar then. I was remembering the scar as being in a different position (or I am remembering the episode from Monday incorrectly)... blah, my brain has gone stupider than Flint and Mohinder combined ;)

Yeah.. it was hard to tell what exactly happened there since the cut, shot and Sylar's entrance happened pretty quickly.

Ok... IT WAS Pa Patrelli and the cut was on his cheek not across his face.

NBC' Video Rewind: Heroe's EPISDOE 12

The cut was at 40:25 in the Heroes episode.
A shot of the wound on Peter's face is at 40:36.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
How recent is that pic? Did they replace the pic with a new one with an actor other than the one being pointed to as Pa Patrelli? That doesn't look much like him and I am sure I've seen an episode where the pic they showed had Pa Patrelli clearly shown, and facing forward, IIRC.

Anyway, are there two more company members, the women on the left, who are yet to be utilized in the show? Is there anyone else down in front on the right obscured by the hand?
Well, the guy being pointed at has his head turned (apparently, he missed it when the photographer shouted "cheese"). I thought that was supposed to be Linderman. I have recollections that one of the women to his right was visited early in the series (and killed off).

Honestly though, I think the past of "the company" has been explored sufficiently. We get it. Let's hope they can devise a way for the show to move forward that doesn't involve shadowy conspiracies.

Taelorn76

First Post
I'm pretty much in line with most people here. I thought it was a better episode overall, with Sylar's and Hiro's story lines standing out as the strongest to me. However, the Pa Petrelli moment was really frustrating, particularly when he says to Hiro "Now I will have all your powers..." (or something like that). Didn't he already have his powers? How else would he have gone back in time if he didn't?
That was my thoughts, how did he get to the past. Unless that was past Pa Patrelli, so now future pa Patrelli has the all spark. ;]

Felon

First Post
That was my thoughts, how did he get to the past. Unless that was past Pa Patrelli, so now future pa Patrelli has the all spark. ;]
Well, he has all the powers that Peter had, and Peter had Hiro's powers. It's the same way he got to the outback to mess with Hiro's memories.

Steel_Wind

Legend
I think the EnWorld forums are now becoming a place where discussion of Heroes has become more of a game and less an exchange of honest opinion.

There have been many disappointing episodes of Heroes...but this was not one of them. It was, in my view, one of the strongest episodes of the series, let alone the season.

There seems endless complaint regarding the show’s reluctance to kill off heroes/villains. Yet this episode, when it was confirmed in a rather forceful and graphic manner that that very thing had occurred...it got no mention here. “Oh well, can’t complain about that this week – need something else to complain about I guess.”

And so on and so on.

If people’s opinion about the quality of Season 3, Episode 12 comes down to Arthur Petrelli’s appearance on the top of the Devaeux Building...then the show isn’t the thing which is broken around here.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Well, he has all the powers that Peter had, and Peter had Hiro's powers. It's the same way he got to the outback to mess with Hiro's memories.

Exactly. Arthur Petrelli never took Hiro's powers - he took his memories. He did not have to take his power. He already had it from Peter.

F5

Explorer
Did Pa petrelli say "Now I will HAVE all your powers", or something more like "Now I will TAKE all your powers"? I wasn't paying much attention at that point, and I haven't gone back to re-watch.

The whole thing could be explained to an extent. He already had Time Control and Teleportation from Peter. He wanted to eliminate Hiro as a threat, so he lobotomized him (reduced to a 10-year-old), then intended to wipe his powers (but got interrupted). He doesn't want to kill Hiro outright, because he knows Kaito hid the last bit of the formula in a person, somehow, and while he suspects it's Claire he doesn't rule out that Kaito hid it in his own son.

One problem with Heores is that, if this is what's going on, it's never spelled out explicitly. It's barely even implied. You have to follow the show closely in order to puzzle out possible explanations and motives, that a better writing team would make self-evident.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I think the EnWorld forums are now becoming a place where discussion of Heroes has become more of a game and less an exchange of honest opinion.

There have been many disappointing episodes of Heroes...but this was not one of them. It was, in my view, one of the strongest episodes of the series, let alone the season.

There seems endless complaint regarding the show’s reluctance to kill off heroes/villains. Yet this episode, when it was confirmed in a rather forceful and graphic manner that that very thing had occurred...it got no mention here. “Oh well, can’t complain about that this week – need something else to complain about I guess.”

And so on and so on.

If people’s opinion about the quality of Season 3, Episode 12 comes down to Arthur Petrelli’s appearance on the top of the Devaeux Building...then the show isn’t the thing which is broken around here.

In my commentary I did refer to the good of killing off a character and others complemented making Sylar evil again. I gave the first half a 7/10 myself. I wouldn't call the first half one of the strongest, but it was above average.

The second half is where it went bad, and it went bad because the writers were inconsistent with past episodes of time travel and time lines. The whole change in the catalyst would have had repercussions on the time line, but it didn't. If the writers hadn't already established that the timeline could be changed it would have been ok, but they have and it isn't. The Haitian was also neutered for story effect and no one learned from the past and figured it was ok to not finish Pa Patrelli off properly.

Remove ads