• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes #7: Eris Quod Sum/Oct 2008

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Reshoots would cost more money (which I am sure is one of the concerns) so it's unlikely.

True, but remember a lot of that money that went into the show was spent on adding special effects to various scenes. I'm pretty sure that if they decide to reshoot it would be to change what powers are used during the fights to eliminate the need to spend money to add in lightning, fire, or ice effects.

No matter what, I'm expecting there to be a dramatic decline in the usage of special effects.

Krug

Newshound
True, but remember a lot of that money that went into the show was spent on adding special effects to various scenes. I'm pretty sure that if they decide to reshoot it would be to change what powers are used during the fights to eliminate the need to spend money to add in lightning, fire, or ice effects.

No matter what, I'm expecting there to be a dramatic decline in the usage of special effects.

Which would be good; if I wanted to watch good special efx I'd watch something in the theaters.

F5

Explorer
Parkman also does pretty well with a lower special-effects budget.

Flight, TK, time-stop, ice-touch, and super-speed? Probably not so much.

I was going to say that Elle might be on her way out, too, but they've been doing lightning effects for almost as long as they've put special effects to film...how hard is it to draw in some zaps in post-production? Easier than regrowing a severed toe, I imagine.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Parkman also does pretty well with a lower special-effects budget.

Flight, TK, time-stop, ice-touch, and super-speed? Probably not so much.

If I had to guess at ranking them (can you tell I'm bored? :)):

TK is probably the easiest; often it can be masked with framing, or small shoves or pulls. Sylar closing a door can be done by attaching a wire to the door and having someone off camera pulling it. Using TK on a person is basically just pulling the actor in the same way, if it's not acting. The hardest part is probably Sylar using TK to cut open someone's brain.

Flight is basically a harness and wire-work: somewhat difficult to set up, but it's also been around a while.

Ice Touch is probably insertion of time-lapse recording of an object in liquid nitrogen, although they might do that all CGI.

Super Speed is probably having people stand still while Daphne runs around and speeding up the footage. The trail is added post-production, and may be intensive, I have no idea on this.

Time Stop, if I recall correctly, involves almost no CGI and is all actors holding poses and holding things in the air with strings.

fba827

Adventurer
Flight is basically a harness and wire-work: somewhat difficult to set up, but it's also been around a while.

I realize you're just guessing, so allow me to add more info....

There was a show called Charmed (yes yes, not the greatest but it was alright). Anyway, in that show, the sisters had powers of: telekinesis, premonitions (basically cut scenes of something later in the episode), and time stop. As the show continued they also had some explosive powers, some flight powers, and some lightning and fire bursts and such.

ANYWAY, after they started doing the flight power, they had to start cutting it back (and eventually removing it from the sister that could do it) because it was reported as one of the more expensive effects that they used. Perhaps not _the_ most expensive effect but it was apparently up there (or at least the most expensive one that they could cut since it wasn't one of the core powers).

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I guess Parkman, Noah, the Haitian, and even a lot of Sylar and Hiro effects could be fairly inexpensive to handle. Watch them start to introduce new heroes and villains with powers that are cheap to produce, like Micah's machine-talking power.

Remove ads