• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes #7: Eris Quod Sum/Oct 2008

Cor Azer

First Post
Let see If person born with power is called X and a person is given a power is Y, then you could get XX, XY, YY, or YX, so the question now coes down to who falls into which group.

XX - Rare power by birth - Peter, Sylar
XY - Normal Power by birth - Adam, Matt, Heiro, Pa Petrelli, Matt's father
YX - Artifical power at birth (normal) - Nathan, Tracy
YX - Artifical power at birth (defective) - Claire, Elle

I'm not sure I follow you here. How do you intend this to be read? Unless you intended the (defective) line to be YY, and trying to imply that maybe Meredith is also an artificial. But Bob (Elle's father), is in all likelihood a natural (being one of the Company founders), so the would have to move Elle up at least one "notch" on your scale.

I'm of the opinion that Claire and Elle's powers are not "defective" though, merely evolving... just not in an immediately enjoyable/beneficial way. There was an implication, at least with Parkman, that powers could grow over time and with use, and by tying the in with Ted Sprague, are not always entirely controllable.

Felon

First Post
Couple of unrelated questions spring to mind:

Have we ever seen Meredith use her powers to do anything besides ignite her palm?

Did Hiro ever encounter that dinosaur that Isaac painted?

Cor Azer

First Post
Couple of unrelated questions spring to mind:

Have we ever seen Meredith use her powers to do anything besides ignite her palm?

Did Hiro ever encounter that dinosaur that Isaac painted?

Well... Meredith did apparently cause the fire that burned down her and Claire's house before Claire was adopted by the Bennetts.

And I believe the intention behind the Hiro vs T. Rex painting was showing when Hiro and Ando were inside the museum when they found the fake Kensai sword (Hiro threatened/posed against the dinosaur bone exhibit).

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
<SNIP>

She ignited the passion within Nathan's heart...
[/cheese]

Seriously, besides for the minor fire tricks and heating up the container they haven't shown her do anything major on screen.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I'm not sure I follow you here. How do you intend this to be read? Unless you intended the (defective) line to be YY, and trying to imply that maybe Meredith is also an artificial. But Bob (Elle's father), is in all likelihood a natural (being one of the Company founders), so the would have to move Elle up at least one "notch" on your scale.

I'm of the opinion that Claire and Elle's powers are not "defective" though, merely evolving... just not in an immediately enjoyable/beneficial way. There was an implication, at least with Parkman, that powers could grow over time and with use, and by tying the in with Ted Sprague, are not always entirely controllable.

yep that was to be YY.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
So far I'm liking this season. Much better than the last season. And better than the first half of season 1 which I didn't like. I prefer the fast paced comic book style stories where stuff and plot twists come quickly.

Things I have liked:

Pa Petrelli is a great villain. I felt that Adam's death was very Whedon-esque and also served to illustrate immediately how badass Pa Petrelli was. I disagree strongly with the people who didn't like that scene. I thought it was perfect.

I'm not quite sure what his master plan is yet. Although, the idea that someone posted of him wanting to give people powers just so he can take them all and become a god would make sense.

At first, I didn't like the Sylar redemption story but now its starting to grow on me. Sylar makes a great anti-hero. I liked how he pretended to side with Pa Petrelli in order to help Peter. It made the Sylar redemption much more acceptable to me. If the writers really pull off a believeable Sylar redemption and this isn't just a gimmick for the third season, I'll be impressed.

I liked how Matt tricked the guy with the fear based strength, though I saw it coming from a mile away.

Things I have disliked:

Claire is a naive spoiled brat. I haven't liked her emo whining in this season at all. It also is like she hasn't grown as a character at all and is acting just like her first season self.

I love the character of Noah Bennett, and there has not been nearly enough of him in this season. He is kind of like Batman in the sense that he always is thinking about 5 steps ahead of you. I love that about him. He really is the guy that should be leading the good guys against Pa Petrelli. He is a master tactician.

Things they should and should not do in the future:

If they "redeem" Sylar he should stay redeemed. None of this, he's bad, he's good, and now he's bad again!

No more Peter time-travel storylines.

I want them to fully embrace comic book style storylines. Minus the tights.

For example, I want to see the next season have a sort of coming out where the larger world becomes more aware of powered people and the heroes all have to deal with that. There are far too many people with abilities running around for someone not to have gone public with their power. Let's do that storyline. The X-men comics have dealt with this sort of thing for years. Make the new villains be the Heroverse version of sentinels. Some sort of secretive government hero hunting agency that the heroes have to oppose while trying to defend their civil rights and win the PR war against a scared public.

I also want to see a big throwdown between one of the uber heroes like Peter against an uber villain. I'm talking Superman/Doomsday, or Hulk level here. I want to see people getting thrown through buildings, I want to see people hitting each other with cars. I want a superpowered throw down that trashes half a city.

I also think it would be fun to have an alien invasion storyline. Where the heroes band together to fight a big threat comparable to Galactus or Darkseid invading from Apokolips. But please avoid the tired and cliche body snatcher motif.

Anyway, I know that most fans probably want to keep the show somewhat grounded, but I think some over the top comic book inspired storylines would be fun as long as the writing is good and we continue to care about the characters.

Last edited:

Taelorn76

First Post
Maybe the big reveal is that Lyle is the Turtle. Some folks can fly or read minds or project flames. Lyle can turn in to a turtle. Some luck.

Either that or Lyle will be given powers by the formula and turn in to the baddest villian of them all.

You know you just gave the witters their next hook with this one. :erm:

Felon

First Post
Things I have liked:

Pa Petrelli is a great villain. I felt that Adam's death was very Whedon-esque and also served to illustrate immediately how badass Pa Petrelli was. I disagree strongly with the people who didn't like that scene. I thought it was perfect.
Not quite Whedonesque. Whedon would have played up the scene, making us think Adam and Arthur were forming a deadly, unstoppable alliance. Adam would've gotten to monologue a bit. Then the other shoe drops, and he's promptly reduced to a heap of dusty bone chips.

Whedon plays with expectations. The folks behind Heroes, OTOH, seem to operate under the premise that the viewers have no expectations.

Remove ads