HEROES Vol 5 #1 & 2:Orientation/Season 4/09

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I recorded volume 4 but was bored so I didn't get beyond about episode 4. Was it worth going back to and watching through? Is volume 5 any better or worse from where we are at the moment?

Amazing. I missed it entirely. But then again, I didn't miss it at all, though I would have watched it anyway. Tell me if I should actually bother, otherwise I'm just gonna go back to playing Aion.

fba827

Adventurer
I recorded volume 4 but was bored so I didn't get beyond about episode 4. Was it worth going back to and watching through? Is volume 5 any better or worse from where we are at the moment?

Amazing. I missed it entirely. But then again, I didn't miss it at all, though I would have watched it anyway. Tell me if I should actually bother, otherwise I'm just gonna go back to playing Aion.

It was a lot of "setup"
seeing where people are now and getting a hint at what is to come for each of them.

there wasn't anything ground-breaking.

hints at what was there ...

[sblock]

* sylar's taunting was fun (though i agree with an above poster, should have kept the taunting to matt, and not have nathan 'feeling' sylar quite so soon in the season)
* the result of claire's jump/push/fall test did feel a little bit like a let-down from the buildup.
* hiro was manipulated way too easily
*peter showed a little manipulative side (patrelli showing through ;) )
* HRG calling tracy as his bed buddy (not to mean it as i just made it sound) seemed forced
* there was no mr muggles
* the death that tracy witnessed (won't say who to avoid spoiler though you can probably guess) was a quick death in of itself, but the real focus came in to what the 'killer' was after... which was mainly used as (as far as we can tell for this episode) a macguffin to get certain people together.
* i normally like angela's scenes because she pulls off a good 'cold manipulator' but a couple times she came off as paniced/desperate/heavyhanded forceful rather than manipulative which seemed off to me
* we got a taste of the new carnival characters
* when Samuel stabbed (Ray Park's character) with the ink pen and the ink was shooting up his body, it was actually forming in to a hand choking him at the neck... it was subtle, but a cool image.
* clarie's roommate is/was annoying (which was on purpose)
* there weren't any plot twists that made me feel surprised. it was either x leads to y which leads to z. and the one or two 'we'll do it as a surprise' type things felt predictable (but then, i saw a 5 minute promo a couple months ago, so maybe i remembered stuff from that)
[/sblock]

but as i said above.
it's nothing ground breaking - just a set up opener for the season to know where characters are and hints as to where they might be going.
if you're going in expecting a lot you'll be disappointed.
if you go in expecting a lot of new stuff, you'll be disappointed (the focus was on characters we already know while only getting a small taste of the new characters from the carnival; so it will be a lot of the same inner-conflicts that you've seen before

fba827

Adventurer
Your comment about Hiro - hasn't that been a running theme now.

Eh, he makes a lot of bad choices on his own and that self-stupidity* was the running theme before. This is (that I can remember) the first time someone else was actually manipulating him towards the bad decision.

I guess that makes him a high Int, low Wis PC ;)

*I say self-stupidity because they were poor choices, but they were (sometimes) entertaining choices none the less - and it's a tv show to be entertaining, not 'real.' So I don't really mean that term in a 'bad' way.

Felon

First Post
I think Mohinder survived; I'm assuming Peter is still in touch with him, hence the powers he had. (I don't remember what Peter's last powers were at the end of last season, but I'm pretty sure they weren't Mohinder's, and he had them to start out.)

Peter last had the shapeshifting power he used to get the drop on Sylar, right?

The basic issue I have is it doesn't feel like they're going to stop making crap up as they go along, sloppily resolving some subplots sloppily while dropping others altogether.

We now have this compass mcguffin. Is it just a momentary thing, or do we have another catalyst on our hands?

Possibly the biggest problem is the continued sense that they want their audience to acept something simple-minded. Peter is still too-good-to-be-true, Hiro is still a manboy, and Sylar just won't go away.

Oh, and those damned awful mawkish-as-all-get-out opening sequeces with some pedant spouting drivel to the tune of lame-o new-age music.

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
I enjoyed the premiere episodes quite a bit, and look forward to next week. However, the newspapers are reporting that ratings really sucked . . . so unless there is miraculous change this will be the last season of Heroes. I hope we get at least a full season!

Taelorn76

First Post
We now have this compass mcguffin. Is it just a momentary thing, or do we have another catalyst on our hands?

Not sure what is so bad about the compass, I think it is to early to tell what it can be used for.

My thoughts are that it only works for supers or can be used to find them.

But wither way I think it is still too early to tell.

Remove ads