Heroes #16: Building 26-Season 3 2009

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
You guys are evidently going to some pretty cool laid-back comic book shops then.

There may be some cutie goth Suicide Girl wannabes in the comic books stores I frequent, but the blonde All American in crowder cheerleader types wouldn't be caught dead in a comic book or gaming store.

(For the record, I married a cutie goth Suicide Girl wannabe. But I'm not going to confuse the two species, either)

Perhaps Toronto is a haven for the Old Skool and a conservative backwater.... but I doubting that more than just a little.

Well, wait a minute here. I feel like there's been some goalpost moving along the way in this thread. First it was "Are there girls in comic shops?" To which many of us answered "yes." Then it was "are there cute girls in comic shops," to which we again answered "yes." Now it's "but are those cute girls all-American cheerleader types."

Frankly, I'm quite happy that the comic shop I frequent in Chicago has several very cute "goth/suicide" girl types that attend and/or work there (If only I were 10 years younger and single!).

By the next round, I fully expect the argument will be "yes, but has Hayden Paniteirre every shown up in fully cheerleader regalia in your local comic shop." At which point I'd have to admit that, no, she hasn't. You win.

fodigg

First Post
Well, wait a minute here. I feel like there's been some goalpost moving along the way in this thread.

Well, what threw me was when my comment was taken as me saying "there are no shops that follow the stereotype" or "the stereotype never reflects reality". I thought I had made it clear I was railing against the "support" for the stereotype and that it is a false stereotype that I don't think should be perpetuated.

The fact is that "girls like comics" just as much as "boys like comics". The more that stereotype is broken down the more the statistics and demographics will show this.

My sister found out later that she had been admitted into her college sorority because the other girls thought it was "cool that she reads comics". This was two years ago. I'm not making that up. Superheroes are "cool" now. Just look at the movies coming out in 2009.

So yes, can we match anecdote with anecdote for shops that either follow or don't follow the new trend? Of course we can. But the basic premise that "girls don't like comics" is offensive and false. It's no different than saying "girls don't like books", "girls don't like politics", or "girls don't like math". That said, the writers have every right to portray an ignorant character if they want, which is why I directed my comments to the character of "Alex" and not to the writers themselves.

Frankly, I'm quite happy that the comic shop I frequent in Chicago has several very cute "goth/suicide" girl types that attend and/or work there (If only I were 10 years younger and single!).

What shop in Chicago? I'm in the NW burbs.

F5

Explorer
As to the issue of Tracy doing exactly what was needed at the time to provide funding...I don;t see the problem with that.

Based on Nathan's conversation with the Hunter, it was pretty clear that the escape attempt was orchestrated. And, based on his conversation with Tracy, she knew it, too, and played along. Her glare at the beurocrat-woman during the hostage scene pretty much sealed the deal.

I don't see that as bad writing, I see that as good writing, that showcases the fact that the Hunter is dangerous, manipulative, and knows what he's doing. In a show that hasn;t had a history of such bad writing, I think that would have come across more.

Overall, I liked the episode. I'd give it a 6/10. The only thing I couldn't accept at face value was how easily Ando convinced the indian woman to cancel the wedding. "You're making a terrible mistake! Look, my hands sparkle, so it MUST be true!" I thought her reaction was meant to be sarcastic, but then the scene kept going...

Steel_Wind

Legend
But the basic premise that "girls don't like comics" is offensive and false. It's no different than saying "girls don't like books", "girls don't like politics", or "girls don't like math".

[time out]

You were doing fine ...right up to the math part.

You might want to do a little reading up on the math issue before you casually lob that one out as a "baseless sterotype".

[game on]

DonTadow

First Post
As to the issue of Tracy doing exactly what was needed at the time to provide funding...I don;t see the problem with that.

Based on Nathan's conversation with the Hunter, it was pretty clear that the escape attempt was orchestrated. And, based on his conversation with Tracy, she knew it, too, and played along. Her glare at the beurocrat-woman during the hostage scene pretty much sealed the deal.

I don't see that as bad writing, I see that as good writing, that showcases the fact that the Hunter is dangerous, manipulative, and knows what he's doing. In a show that hasn;t had a history of such bad writing, I think that would have come across more.

Overall, I liked the episode. I'd give it a 6/10. The only thing I couldn't accept at face value was how easily Ando convinced the indian woman to cancel the wedding. "You're making a terrible mistake! Look, my hands sparkle, so it MUST be true!" I thought her reaction was meant to be sarcastic, but then the scene kept going...
Rewatch the conversation beween nicky and Nathan. Nicky does not say that her and hunter are in cohoots with one another. Only after the fact does she realize that it was orchestrate it. Yeah Hunter manipulated her, but it had nothing to do on Nicky knowing.

Then go back and watch the breakout scene. IF the two orchestrated it she surely wouldn't be breaking through the chains.

Actually I buy the indian woman a lot more than that. Mysticm is an important part of Hinduism culture to many Indians, and the idea that a god would send a sign would be more than enough to follow your heart. That religion still produces what we would call "miracles"

[time out]

You might want to do a little reading up on the math issue before you casually lob that one out as a "baseless sterotype".

[game on]
But all of those are similiar stereotypes based on old data. http://www.livescience.com/technology/080307-girls-science.html

Girls not liking math is based on the same sterotype of girls not liking comics (based off of old boys club stereotypes) and girls not liking books. It's all stereotypical.

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
[time out]

[game on]

Paging Lawrence Summers. Will Lawrence Summers please report to the media lounge.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Lawrence Summers resigned because of politics; not because the hard scientific data relating to spatial 3d awareness tests between males and females did not draw a correlation between mathematical aptitude and 3d spatial awareness in both male and female test subjects.

However, women consistently do not do as well in spatial 3d aptitude tests. That's not phantom data. It happens to be a politically and socially inconvenient truth.

Research published subsequent to Summers' resgination - some of it even published by female researchers - lends weight to the 3d spatial differences as well. The human brain differs between the sexes. That is not an excuse to keep one in the kitchen, and it is not a hard and fast rule that applies to all individuals.

It does, however, apply to broadly gathered data sampled over whole populations and across cultures. Even when you don't like the implication of the data.

Last edited:

fodigg

First Post
I said "like" math.

Besides, your supposed data in no way limits a woman from contributing to the field of mathematics in a meaningful way or for a woman to be successful in a math-related occupation.

Remove ads