• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heroes# 12: Our Father/Dec 2008

Felon

First Post
See, I thought this was almost a perfect episode.

I'm glad Kyle Baldwin got a better power this time around. :)

I liked Sylar's return to a) serial killer, and b) dark humor. However, what I also liked was they didn't completely negate his growth this season, especially in regards to Peter.

Peter is, of course, still the moral compass by which the others are judged. However, I like that he had the guts to fire... albeit a little too late.

This was, for me, the perfect use of time travel, with regards to telling Hiro and Claire's stories. I thought both were interesting and poignant, and completely believable from the point of Hiro's Mother and HRG. Both are immersed in worlds where the impossible is possible... so they both accept Hiro/Claire immediately.

Then... they crapped all over that, with Arthur. Ugh, I almost turned off the TV when that scene on the rooftop happened. Way to make the whole time travel thing utterly pointless. Hell, my friend, who likes the show but isn't a fan (and didn't know the Haitian could disable people like that) immediately said to me, "Why didn't Arthur do that in the first place?" Even he was upset. This is why the numbers are down... it's not just the hardcore fans complaining, it's the general audience.

Of course, that bullet was not to the back of the head. Hopefully Sylar got it right.

[EDIT]Matt/Daphne/Ando was cool... I believe Matt is the only one besides Future Peter to have experienced all three modes of Enhanced Travel (Speed, Flight, Teleport). I liked his line about teleporting.

Also, I can chalk it up to being excited, but Ando should know he doesn't get Time Travel, he gets Red Lightning. Small continuity thing there.
Well, Ando doesn't know that he gets red lightning. Hiro told him that he saw him using red lightning to kill Hiro in some possible alternate future, but obviously Ando rejects that future as being inevitable or even likely.

Otherwise, I agree with your commentary. A better episode than most for this season. Hiro's inability to communicate with Claire was actually a meaningful plot device. It meant Claire had to play along without the benefit of certainty. And Arthur showing up was a real disappointment. If he was portrayed by an actor with presence, it might actually be spooky that Arthur seems all-knowing and unstoppable. But Robert Forster is the guy you call on to play Joe Sixpack, not the menacing BBEG. There's not much menace there.

And as soon as Hiro gets his memory, he's de-powered, complete with yet another fake-out death.

And speaking of fake-out's, does anyone actually believe Arthur won't be up and around again next episode?

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
Then there is the nerfing the Hatian. We've allways seen his power as a blanket ability. As a matter of fact we've seen him plenty of tim4e including several this season not even know heros are around and nerf their powers. But for some reason, this time, he has to concentrate (despite having nerfed heros powers whom had just as many (peter, sylar). ) Then to kick us further in the balls sylar comes in using his powers like ..hatian... what hatian. And, sylar does not even go after the hatian's power (considering how he has some type of mastery over it).

While I don't disagree his power has been written very inconsistent, we actually have seen heroes get around the Haitian's ability - way back in season one, Matt plucks Claire's name from HRG's mind with the Haitian next to him when he's being held, and he gets Primatech's name from HRG as well, giving himself a nosebleed in the process.

I don't even want to mention how silly it is that speedster can travel with two people and not break their molecules apart.

Um, you're watching a show where people rapidly regenerate, fly, shoot lightning, slow/stop time... sometimes you have to accept things aren't real.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I don't even want to mention how silly it is that speedster can travel with two people and not break their molecules apart.

Yes. That's the silly part.

However, the Pa Petrelli moment was really frustrating, particularly when he says to Hiro "Now I will have all your powers..." (or something like that). Didn't he already have his powers? How else would he have gone back in time if he didn't?

Got that power from Peter, IIRC.

fba827

Adventurer
Some good parts, some less than good parts. ;)

But one random thought
[sblock]
Even if Pa Petrelli knows he's not Sylar's father, who is to say Ma Petrelli isn't still the mother?
For that matter, who is to say Pa Petrelli is Peter and/or Nathan's father (adoption, or Ma Petrelli had affair(s)) ?
[/sblock]
Not necessarily likely, but it was just a random thought that popped in my head when I saw that scene between Sylar and Pa Petrelli.

Last edited:

Mark

We could use a still from the company to see which characters are left unexplored. Who has the best photo?

011.jpg

Mark

How recent is that pic? Did they replace the pic with a new one with an actor other than the one being pointed to as Pa Patrelli? That doesn't look much like him and I am sure I've seen an episode where the pic they showed had Pa Patrelli clearly shown, and facing forward, IIRC.

Anyway, are there two more company members, the women on the left, who are yet to be utilized in the show? Is there anyone else down in front on the right obscured by the hand?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads