Heroes #4--I Am Become Death/Oct 2008

Steel_Wind

Legend
- The Hatian was there stopping FP's power, so he dies like anyone else

I will accept that the suppression of Peter's abilities could keep his power of regeneration from going active - but that's only so long as he is there.

As has been pointed out, The Haitian exits the room to leave President Petrelli alone with Peter - and FP's body. At that point, FP should have come back to life.

A plot hole.

- Gabe was telling Noah II to get out. Apparently too afraid of himself to do anything directly. To be fair, it was the thrown table that did the killing (nothing yet had hit him).

I agree with the inner demons angle to the scene - but it felt increasingly forced as the stakes were raised as the scene played out.

It also appears that Gabriel did not want to have his son see him use any power. So I suppose that is another reason. Gabriel did not fear Knox, as to be blunt, given his power of super-healing, there was nothing Knox could do to him. I suppose that is another reason.

Of course, my big beef with that scene was, once again, the lack of use of stopping time. Guess Pete still doesn't have it under control... :erm:

The point has been made time and time again that Peter's understanding of power is limited and inexperienced. Peter is, when contrasted with Sylar, ultra-emotional as compared to Sylar's perfect intellectual command of his powers.

FP is more experienced with his power and had no problem stopping time where required to get out of a jam - until that ability was suppressed.

The Hunger + Absorpton = Redemption?

On a completely different tangent...it appears that the writers on the show have now made the unavoidable link between Sylar's power of "The Way things Work" and "the Hunger". This would suggest that in most instances where Sylar kills (but not the two times he kills when south of the Border with the Snooze twins) he is not responsible for the crime - or at the least - is less morally culpable.

It seems difficult to understand why present Peter Petrelli would start to cut apart Nathan's Head in an attempt to take his power - when he already has it. That one is not going to be left alone. There will be some resolution of that issue during the course of this season, I predict.

Unlike the above plot holes we have been discussing, I don't think this "plot hole" will be ignored by the writers and that this was a path they have embarked upon with deliberate intent. I expect that the combining of Peter's "Power Absorption" ability with Sylar's "The Way things Work ability " will ultimately lead to a possibility of balance between the two powers that will permit Peter to suppress "the Hunger".

But will that avenue of redemption for Peter be extended to Sylar?

Maybe.

I do not think this spin is at all an accident. Indeed, I think it is the intention of the writers that Sylar will ultimately get the chance to open Peter's head - just like Claire's - so that he can get Peter's absorption ability in order to allow him to suppress "the Hunger". That's the way out for the writers to save Sylar in the series - their chance for his character to logically be redeemed and somehow continue in the show as an anti-hero.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
The episode seemed to do three things none of which I find all that interesting

[sblock]

Get Peter Sylar's ability. Yawn, Sylar wasn't an intyeresting Character with it and it looks like it will not dominate Peter

Get Beckman to go after Daphne Speedster

Get Hiro to free what's his name, who was a terrible character before[/sblock]

Lots of unimportant things going on as we know everything in the future will change so it becomes meaningless

DonTadow

First Post

I will accept that the suppression of Peter's abilities could keep his power of regeneration from going active - but that's only so long as he is there.

As has been pointed out, The Haitian exits the room to leave President Petrelli alone with Peter - and FP's body. At that point, FP should have come back to life.

A plot hole.

I agree with the inner demons angle to the scene - but it felt increasingly forced as the stakes were raised as the scene played out.

It also appears that Gabriel did not want to have his son see him use any power. So I suppose that is another reason. Gabriel did not fear Knox, as to be blunt, given his power of super-healing, there was nothing Knox could do to him. I suppose that is another reason.

The point has been made time and time again that Peter's understanding of power is limited and inexperienced. Peter is, when contrasted with Sylar, ultra-emotional as compared to Sylar's perfect intellectual command of his powers.

FP is more experienced with his power and had no problem stopping time where required to get out of a jam - until that ability was suppressed.

The Hunger + Absorpton = Redemption?

On a completely different tangent...it appears that the writers on the show have now made the unavoidable link between Sylar's power of "The Way things Work" and "the Hunger". This would suggest that in most instances where Sylar kills (but not the two times he kills when south of the Border with the Snooze twins) he is not responsible for the crime - or at the least - is less morally culpable.

It seems difficult to understand why present Peter Petrelli would start to cut apart Nathan's Head in an attempt to take his power - when he already has it. That one is not going to be left alone. There will be some resolution of that issue during the course of this season, I predict.

Unlike the above plot holes we have been discussing, I don't think this "plot hole" will be ignored by the writers and that this was a path they have embarked upon with deliberate intent. I expect that the combining of Peter's "Power Absorption" ability with Sylar's "The Way things Work ability " will ultimately lead to a possibility of balance between the two powers that will permit Peter to suppress "the Hunger".

But will that avenue of redemption for Peter be extended to Sylar?

Maybe.

I do not think this spin is at all an accident. Indeed, I think it is the intention of the writers that Sylar will ultimately get the chance to open Peter's head - just like Claire's - so that he can get Peter's absorption ability in order to allow him to suppress "the Hunger". That's the way out for the writers to save Sylar in the series - their chance for his character to logically be redeemed and somehow continue in the show as an anti-hero.
A plot hole.[\quote]
Not necessarily, more of a plot definition. We have never seen Peter or anyone other than Clair come back to life. (Nathan aside but i think his power is angel) . This to me means that borrowed or stolen powers work a bit different than if you already had the power.

Which leads to another thing you say. What if he doesn't have Nathan's ability like that. Some have suggested that these powers grow with usage, so what if the way they works affects the power in general. Nathan's flight is small beans compared to the ability to heal others, the ability to bring back from the dead.

My hope for the series is that peter becomes a bad guy.. he's just too powerful and i feel thats the direction he should be in. An emotional bad guy who thinks he is doing good but screwing everything up. And sylar becoming this anti hero who refuses to use any power but his inherent detective power and hope that this happens before it gets canceled. Because I can't believe that with this ballooning cast and their special effects budget they can afford to stay on the air after this season.

Also, I liked how the time didn't change in the future. It seems everything still happens the way it is. I hope for Heroes sake that this future is permanent. Then if it does come back, come back at THAT point in the future.

Last edited:

Dog Moon

Adventurer

I'm going to assume that he didn't do it to gain the power, but to understand how it works. It's the first time he's had the real opportunity to be alone with a 'Hero' for a few moments [he didn't have much time with Sylar before they were attacked].

It's like 'Hrm, I know you can fly and I can fly by thinking of your power, but what exactly allows you the capability to fly?'

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
(Yay to seeing Adam, just 'cause I like him. And even Molly. But more characters? *sob*) Stupid hope.

I sort of feel sorry for Molly because she will still look 12 years old when she's 16.

Magical Silver Bullets?

Also, I liked how the time didn't change in the future. It seems everything still happens the way it is. I hope for Heroes sake that this future is permanent. Then if it does come back, come back at THAT point in the future.

Remember how Future Hero and Future Peter were both trying to map out the future during previous seasons in hopes of preventing it from snowballing? I think that the reason why the Future did not change is because FP doesn't know what caused things to go amiss. Instead of tracking down the Powers Formula and preventing it's creation, he's been chasing himself down and thinking that Nathan was the cause of everything. As a result of not attacking the problem he's actually been making things get worse.

At the same time, he may have unknowingly created a Quantum Paradox which might explain why he is hated and being hunted by the Company for being a terrorist/mass murderer (assuming Costa Verde isn't the only place that went up in a atomic fireball). As far as we know, the reason why the Future Peter's relationships with the other Heroes has taken a nosedive could have been because he was taken to the future and given full access/mastery of Sylar's Powers (instead of his having no control over it like he currently has). Thus he has created a second Slyar which might have caused the death of Noah (whose power is being Bad Ass) and Ms. Bennett Ma Patrelli and or countless others.

In essence, last night's episode might have actually been the start of explaining why things gone bad. What's puzzling however is trying to understand how last night's events connects to the world exploding (for days later in that future) and why Heroe and Ando are fighting over the formula after everyone got super powers (assuming its the same formula and not one that kills super powers).

Last edited:

Brown Jenkin

First Post
A plot hole.
Not necessarily, more of a plot definition. We have never seen Peter or anyone other than Clair come back to life. (Nathan aside but i think his power is angel) . This to me means that borrowed or stolen powers work a bit different than if you already had the power.

That is not correct. Borrowed powers may work differently but Peter did come back to life in season 1. I forget how but Peter got a shard of glass in the back of his brain and he was dragged to Ma Patrelli's house. Peter was 100% dead at that point and then the shard was removed. Peter then came back to life. Now at that point Claire was nearby but she was also nearby when Future Peter was on the slab dead.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
That is not correct. Borrowed powers may work differently but Peter did come back to life in season 1. I forget how but Peter got a shard of glass in the back of his brain and he was dragged to Ma Patrelli's house. Peter was 100% dead at that point and then the shard was removed. Peter then came back to life. Now at that point Claire was nearby but she was also nearby when Future Peter was on the slab dead.

Claire pulled it out.

F5

Explorer
Do we ever see Future Peter actually use Claire's power? Future Peter's defining physical characteristic is that scar, which would have healed if he was regenerating. I'm thinking Future Peter doesn't have Claire's power anymore. Hence, bullets to the chest have their desired effect.

Remove ads