TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Ugh, y'know, it used to be a truism that one should never get into a land war in Asia, and this is also true of an Edition War involving D&D. I'm trying to be fair and reasonable about both sides of the argument, but maybe I'm doing more harm than good. I'll hop out of this thread except as a reader so as to avoid the possiblity of anything I post further fanning the flames.

By the way, Gary - I just bought a very nicely preserved copy of the 1e AD&D DMG; my copy is stored away across the country, and falling apart, to boot. The new copy looks pretty close to brand new; the colors on the cover - the Sutherland picture of an efreet fighting a trio of adventureres - are still bright and vibrant. As I paged through it, I was again struck by just how useful a book it is, even today. One of the truly great books of the RPG hobby. Great work.

Gray Mouser

First Post
Give it a rest

Wow, talk about a thread high-jack. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the Gary Gygax Q&A thread, right? If people want to go an extended debate about different editions, people who defend/bash different editions and whether people have the right to express their opinions then perhaps someone should start a new thread. As it is I have very little interest in reading such debate in a thread that isn't devoted to it. So what do you say? Start your own thread and have a ball so people can get back to actually having a Q&A with EGG.

Gray Mouser

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Heh,

Be very thankful you guys don't frequent Gary's Political Talk lists. ;) If you get miffed at what version of D&D Gary endorses, I'd hate to see some people's reactions to his political leanings. :uhoh:

Deogolf

First Post
Quasqueton said:
I agree with everything ColonelHardisson has said.

And relatedly, I used to have great respect for Gary Gygax. I defended his game from many detractors through the quarter century I've played it. I've explained who he was to many new gamers.

But today, reading the last couple days worth of his (and other's) posts, I've lost all respect for him. It's like a child hearing Santa say that he actually dislikes modern toys. I'm actually, truly saddened. Damn, but I shouldn't have read this thread. He's left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Quasqueton

That seems a little much. What would have Babe Ruth thought about how the game of baseball is played today (I'm a baseball nut :) ). As much as the game has stayed the same, things have also changed quite abit. Most players today have better nutrition, work out facilities, catered "everything" - they don't want for much! They get paid alot more than players back in the day (inflation and cost of living included). The old players actually had second jobs to make ends meet. They had to take long train or bus rides to get to the next city. Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I'm sure that the Babe would have some few choice words for the players that whine today about "this, that, and the other thing". "In our day, we had to..." I think you get the point.

Its hard to compare players from different eras. Whether its baseball, football, or D&D. Things change. Everyone has their own opinion about things, obviously. If I found out Gary didn't like some of my favorite music groups, I wouldn't stop listening to those groups. I've known Gary for over three years now and played both LA and D&D for the same amount of time. He's a great guy and alot of fun! Very inventive and has a very sharp mind! Do we agree on everything, I doubt it. But we do agree on one thing - Have fun and enjoy the game! That's what it is, a game. Nothing more, nothing less. But, it is a great game - no matter what version!

:D

dcas

First Post
JohnRTroy said:
Heh,

Be very thankful you guys don't frequent Gary's Political Talk lists. ;) If you get miffed at what version of D&D Gary endorses, I'd hate to see some people's reactions to his political leanings. :uhoh:

I agree. Gary is much too left-leaning for my taste. ;)

Hello Gary!

Can you tell me any information about scrubby miniatures? I think thats what they are called.

Also, could you fill me in on what miniatures you guys used back say circa 71-74 for the fantastic supplement of Chainmail?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Well, yeah, I can be. That's why I asked. Vertical intergration went the way of the dodo in the movie business, and it seemed to do so in the gaming business. It's a different era.
Right....

And that's why there are conglomerates such as hasboro, eh?

Get serious, amigo. Good business practices differ, and hobby games are a rather specialized field NOT being served by wither WotC or Hasbro,

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Well, ...I mean, do chess players sit around denigrating checkers players, and wonder how said players could possibly be having fun? I doubt it.
If chess players deign to noyice them at all, you bet they disdain then :p

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
I don't think that many were left behind. ...
As a matter of fact approximately 50% of the AD&D audience left the game when 2E was released.

I'd say that qualifies as "many."

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads