D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

Riley

Legend
Don't know yet.

Wolfgang Baur (who might know more than anyone else outside WOTC) wrote:

"Do you know what license the next edition of D&D will be released under?

We don’t know, and under our agreement with Wizards, we don’t really need to know in order to design Tyranny of Dragons. Wizards of the Coast is the publisher; Kobold Press is a design studio. It’s a bit similar to the way that a video game studio might create a video game that another, larger firm brings to market.

Will Kobold Press continue to publish products compatible with other RPGs?

Our primary publications are compatible with Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, and our secondary line is the 13th Age RPG. We’ll continue to focus on those games, and others as it makes sense.

The agreement we’re operating under for Tyranny of Dragons is a one-time deal: Kobold Press doesn’t have blanket permission to produce products for the new edition of D&D."

http://www.koboldpress.com/k/front-page18037.php

Last edited:

lkj

Hero
Mearls was asked:

"How long until we hear about what kind of license and software options that will be availible?"

He responded:

"It'll be a bit - we want to make sure that when we announce something, we have something to show"

That's from twitter.

AD

P.S. And of course, I bow to Morrus, master of D&D news, who has slain my feeble attempt to get breaking news.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I really hope WotC creates an open licensing option for D&D 5E. They need to find a sweet spot in between the OGL and the GSL.

Fingers crossed.

Michael Morris

First Post
Hmm.

4e went out of its way to be as incompatible with OGL products as possible. If 5e isn't OGL then I presume that it too will still contain rules and systems placed there for no purpose other than to be incompatible with competing OGL products. I'm really not interested in incompatibility for its own sake.

Also, while its incredibly unlikely that I will ever publish anything ever again, it would be nice to have that option. If that option doesn't exist with 5e, why should I bother with it??

Halivar

First Post
I hope that the "players can make characters" line for the Starter Edition is an indicator here; if there are no char-gen rules in the box, they will have to be somewhere. An OGL or OGL-like license with an SRD would accomplish this easily.

Remove ads