D&D 5E Pages from the PHB

Ichneumon

First Post
As the game unfolds, I expect to see suggested alternatives for the more problematic wild surge entries, and variant surge lists (e.g. a list comprised entirely of amusing but harmless effects). It wouldn't surprise me to see a wild surge app, where you shake your phone and a result pops up. The list we've seen is set in stone - though hopefully the typos will be ironed out pre-printing. But unless your game is set in stone, tweaking the list is always an option. Or you could pick a subset of results and map them to a smaller die range. (Who remembers d8+d12?).

To hazard a guess as to what will invoke them, I'd say they're tied into the sorcerer's points mechanic.
This Legends and Lore article http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140224 mentions that points can be used to modify spells, cast additional spells or perform sorcerous abilities. Perhaps the chaos sorcerer('wild mage') can spend multiple points at once, but runs the risk of wild surging from doing so. A mechanic like this would fit the concept of the chaos sorcerer as a gambler, ready to risk it all for one glorious moment.

I've seen comments about how the picture of a warlock looks like a witch. Yes, I agree, but don't find it unfitting, as there's a real possibility that 'witch' could be the name of a warlock subclass - fey, if so, and yes, the name works for both male and female warlocks. The picture does look a bit cartoony, but there's a hint of menace, which I appreciate.

And finally, the amount of content that you, I or anyone else needs for their D&D gaming is entirely subjective. It's misguided to pick one's own preference as the objective norm, and tell others that they're playing a deficient or bloated version. Introducing the Coffee Analogy

Black Coffee - Basic D&D
Coffee with milk and sugar - Standard D&D
Mochacino with sugar, whipped cream and cinnamon - Advanced D&D.

Whether your coffee is complete depends on what you want to drink in the first place. Same with D&D.

GSHamster

Adventurer
Actually, depending on the specifics of alignment rules, it could mean something quite different. It could be that your personality and behavior stay the same, but your alignment as a mechanical element gets changed. So if you were previously Lawful Good, you still behave in an honorable and upright way, but you now detect as evil, are burned by holy objects, et cetera.

Basically, the wild magic surge shorts out your karma. :)

Heh, that would be pretty funny. You're still a good person, but now you detect as Evil. Probably end up as a wacky comedy where you're running away from paladins trying to kill you.

Or if you're evil, maybe your comrades start thinking you've gone straight and are now working for the cops. Though an Evil character might find looking Good to be more of a benefit.

This might actually be a pretty interesting thing to do to your PCs, because it doesn't change the PC, it changes how other people perceive the PC, and that's fair game for a DM, imo.

gyor

Legend
Kaiilurker, those that plan on restricting thier games to just the core 4 are not representive of 5e fans as a whole, it a particular and very loud subset, but by no means the majority, 5e will be doomed if it was,, they have no reason to buy the PHB!

No most will be more flexible then that and I'm sure you can find a game for you that supports you playstyle.

Also note that most of those that don't want anything outside the core 4 come from a particular background, very earily d&d, and DMs that cut thier teeth in 3.5 and 4e and to a lesser extent AD&D 2e will be more flexible.

As for organized play it has its own rules and it will not restrict your class, especially stores which want you to have reasons to buy new D&D books! So fear not KaiiLurker.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Ah, the wild mage from 2E was a fascinating concept.

As the DM (and for some of the players), it was fun for me because the randomness meant that even I didn't know what was going to happen. However, some of the players ended up feeling that the whole thing was a distraction - and an annoying one at that.

Suffice to say, it may split the party.

In the final analysis - I don't miss it for the adult games I run today.

However, when I play with my kids....

tuxgeo

Adventurer
As someone who is actually in a game with Sam, she asks that you stop referring to her as him. . . . ;)

Like this?

11-01-2002.gif

mechascorpio

First Post
...again looks like a lost leader or teaser version of the game.

(emphasis mine)

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

A loss leader is one thing. A lost leader is unfortunate.

And these days, a free, introductory digital product is neither.

Last edited:

Paraxis

Explorer
(emphasis mine)

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

A loss leader is one thing. A lost leader is unfortunate.

And these days, a free, introductory digital product is neither.

Good catch I always thought the term was "lost" leader.

I still say the term applies to Basic D&D.

Remove ads