D&D 5E Origin New Edition Panel

Blackbrrd

First Post
Most Magic players spend well over $50 per set. A few drafts will run that. It's not unusual for many players in our store to buy a box of each set (36 packs, about $120 locally). Some (like me) buy cases! (6 boxes)
It's not really comparable though? The revisions would probably have pretty minor changes, while a new magic set basically gives you a new game. Drafts are really fun to play too, but again, it's just not comparable in my opinion.

Btw, try out Dominion if you haven't already. ;)

Personally, I think that if errata/small changes just went to the pdf's/digital tools, and newer printing of the books, it would be fine. Even if I tried playing non-errataed 4e in a fully updated 4e game, it wouldn't really create much problems.

talking about process of change for the game. Using constant specific feedback from the community to adjust.

#dnd will be more of a living game and a conversation rather than Wizards dictating what the game should be.

Starting next spring, surveys will go out to assess how rules elements of the game are faring.

It seems that I'm alone on this, but I'm reading the above comment more as WotC showing an intention of taking further developments in their line in the direction seen through feedback. Basically, I believe they will use feedback to decide where the game is going next, not to create periodical updates of the basic rules.

At least, that's what I want it to mean... :)

the Jester

Legend
People dislike the edition treadmill because it forces them to choose between making all of their prior purchases obsolete and being able to make use of new releases.

The living model avoids this dilemma - the game updates automatically, new releases are always compatible with older releases (because the older releases always use the most up-to-date rules), and nothing becomes obsolete.

Hmm.

Some people dislike the edition treadmill because it constantly undermines their mastery of the system. These people tend to dislike errata for essentially the same reason.

I think automatic updates are fine as long as 1. You can easily opt out if you don't want 'em and 2. The quantity of errata is minimal.

By minimal I mean "Nothing even close to what we've seen for 3e and 4e."

Redbadge

Explorer
It's not really comparable though? The revisions would probably have pretty minor changes, while a new magic set basically gives you a new game. Drafts are really fun to play too, but again, it's just not comparable in my opinion.

Btw, try out Dominion if you haven't already. ;)

Personally, I think that if errata/small changes just went to the pdf's/digital tools, and newer printing of the books, it would be fine. Even if I tried playing non-errataed 4e in a fully updated 4e game, it wouldn't really create much problems.

That was my point, basically. Magic Core Sets have relatively few changes, with mostly the same cards from prior sets (and AFAIK they do sell somewhat less). However, though experienced players will often buy and/or draft Core Sets it's mostly for new players (which is why the Magic Core Sets include the basic rules inserts but do not bother with the more advanced mechanics introduced with each expansion). The expansions/splats (rules modules? Adventures? Both in one?) would be the big money makers each year. Much as I don't feel the need to buy new Path to Exile cards in the Core Set just because they say "exile target creature" while mine says "remove target creature from the game", I won't be compelled to buy PHB 2016 just because great axes now have brutal 2. Either my table will incorporate the "update" (not errata) or it won't (perhaps because we don't even know it's been changed). If a new player buys the latest book and brings it to the table, we'll do the same thing we do in Magic: either "Really? That's great. I'll update my sheet" or "Well if you don't mind, we'll keep the old way". Obviously, OP will use the most up-to-date release, much like the difference between Magic kitchen table play and tournament play.

At any rate, it was just conjecture. I wasn't saying it would work, only that WotC would probably really like it to.

Last edited:

Dannager

First Post
Some people dislike the edition treadmill because it constantly undermines their mastery of the system. These people tend to dislike errata for essentially the same reason.

I feel like the sort of person who is dedicated enough to claim mastery of the system is probably dedicated enough to keep up with a handful of updates every once in a while. And the sort of person who doesn't care about mastery of the system is the sort of person who probably doesn't mind forgetting about an updated rule every once in a while.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It seems that I'm alone on this, but I'm reading the above comment more as WotC showing an intention of taking further developments in their line in the direction seen through feedback. Basically, I believe they will use feedback to decide where the game is going next, not to create periodical updates of the basic rules.

At least, that's what I want it to mean... :)

Yes. They said at the panel that changes are to be reflected in future products.

damngravity

Explorer
Taken from Chris Tulach's twitter feed

Mike wrote a sidebar on THAC0 for the DMG! DMG will be more like a "hackers guide" to the game.

And that seems to be that.

Mike said he wrote a sidebar for converting to THACO. He also said it might not make the cut for the DMG.

Redbadge

Explorer
Yes. They said at the panel that changes are to be reflected in future products.

Which I still don't think tells us much since "PHB 2016" is a future product in the same way that Duels of the Planeswalkers 2015 is a future product (or NBA2K15, for that matter).

But perhaps you were already agreeing...?

Last edited:

Good stuff. For a long time now, D&D has been all about a group of game designers deciding in a vacuum what they think would be cool for the game. In fact, even when WotC voiced concern over what players would want from them, it was something like "our bestselling books have the words dragon and magic in the title, so we created this book called Dragon Magic, enjoy!."

Remove ads