D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Standing up from prone draws AoOs?

El_Gringo

First Post
I'm just going off the DM screen that came with this month's Dragon. My books won't come for another week. :(

Is it true that standing up from prone draws attacks of opportunity? If that's so, the next BBEG I make will be a frost giant wielding a spiked chain. Throw in Improved Trip and he'll get to trip them, attack them immediately thereafter, and then lay the smack down as soon as someone tries to get up.

Li Shenron

Legend
El_Gringo said:
I'm just going off the DM screen that came with this month's Dragon. My books won't come for another week. :(

Is it true that standing up from prone draws attacks of opportunity? If that's so, the next BBEG I make will be a frost giant wielding a spiked chain. Throw in Improved Trip and he'll get to trip them, attack them immediately thereafter, and then lay the smack down as soon as someone tries to get up.

In 3.0 I think it doesn't provoke AoO. Shouldn't be changed in 3.5.
If it provoked an AoO it wound be very annoying, since the "tripper" can try to trip again as the same AoO. Reminds me of that awfully sickening situation in Neverwinter Nights...:rolleyes:

DWARF

First Post
Okay, despite how "abusive" constant Trip attempts could become, think of it this way; How does bending over to pick up my sword, or a torch or whatever from the ground provoke an AoO, but laying on the ground and then getting up doesn't?

Situation 1: You've got a Rogue in combat dodging and weaving, he parries an attack, but his gaze is averted as he grabs a potion that fell to the ground, and his opponent takes advantage and strikes him. Okay...

Situation 2: A Dwarf in Full Plate armor, looking much like the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz is knocked down by a giant. He rolls to the side as a nearby Orc tries to attack. Then, the Dwarf musters his strength, rolls onto his front and pulls himself to his feet.... while the orc and giant courteously wait for him to finish...? What? Somethings wrong here.

Maybe a Tumble check to do one of those "flip-ups" to go from prone to standing. But there's NO way that getting up from the ground in Full Plate (or whatever else) DOESN'T provoke and AoO, but grabbing a nearby torch does.

Darklone

One of the first things you learn in martial arts is how to get up without being beaten in oblivion... No flick ups necessary. And with a weapon in your hand, it's lots easier (assuming you didn't fall INTO your weapon).

BTW: You can do flick-ups in fullplate :D

DWARF

First Post
Yeah, but at the same time, you can also grab a quarterstaff off of the ground without making yourself open to attack, now don't you? Despite what martial arts may say (and I'm an amatuer martial artist myself...) I'm saying that the mechanic doesn't hold water. If getting up off the ground DOESN'T provoke an AoO, then why does picking up a weapon off of the ground?

Remove ads