D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Standing up from prone draws AoOs?

Lab Monkey

First Post
Spatula said:
Yes, and the outcome of the AoO affects the resolution of the action that provoked it. If you try to stand up and I knock you down, then you didn't succeed at standing up.

That's one interpretation. Nothing in the rules states that this is the way it works. Plenty of other actions can be successfully resolved following an AoO- casting a spell if you make your conc. check, ranged attacks, etc. Nothing precludes you standing up after you've taken the hit/trip from the AoO. As DM, I certainly wouldn't allow the never ending trip/attack sequence. It's tantamount to the whirlwind, great cleave, bag of rats trick from 3.0.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Lab Monkey said:
That's one interpretation. Nothing in the rules states that this is the way it works. Plenty of other actions can be successfully resolved following an AoO- casting a spell if you make your conc. check, ranged attacks, etc. Nothing precludes you standing up after you've taken the hit/trip from the AoO. As DM, I certainly wouldn't allow the never ending trip/attack sequence. It's tantamount to the whirlwind, great cleave, bag of rats trick from 3.0.

Generally, however, it's possible to interfere with someone's completion of an action either by using an AoO or by readying an action. And I *do* think that someone ought to be able to ready an action to re-trip someone who is trying to stand up -- that's good clean cinematic combat, and it's not overpowering.

Your interpretation would also prevent the readied-retrip, I think. It would, however, remove the AoO-retrip, which is a very good thing.

I'm just going to houserule that standing up doesn't provoke an AoO any more than opening a door does.

Daniel

I think the change is kind of neat. If you're fighting only one opponent, and he doesn't have Combat Reflexes, then he can only AoO you once, so if you're trying to stand up for your first action and get tripped, you can always get up for your second action.

Note also that crawling back before standing up doesn't help because crawling 5' is a move action regardless of speed and it provokes an AoO as well.

I think a nice houserule would be that if you are armed (in the sense that you threaten squares), then you can get up from prone as a full-round action without provoking an AoO. Like in the movies, you'd hold your weapon (for instance) forth, keeping everyone at bay, as you slowly get up, keeping your guard.

Remove ads