• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5E classes that discourage "dipping"

corwyn77

Adventurer
Best dips
Cleric
Fighter
Warlock
Barbarian
Rogue

Bad Dips
Wizard
Druid
Bard
Ranger
Paladin
Monk

Now this isn't to say there aren't multiclass combinations that work even with the bad classes, but there's generally very little reason to dip into any of the above classes I've labeled as Bad Dips.

I consider 5+ levels in a class to be NOT A DIP

And yet the 4th level Encounters party I play with has a Wizard/Druid and a Paladin/Bard in it. Go figure.

Corwin

Explorer
* Two levels of any class is great to add options to a character.
I think this is generally true. "Adding options" being the key. There is no weight being assigned to these options themselves. Just a great way to get more of them. So, yes, I agree.

* Two levels of warlock seems to help every class.
The only time this is 100% true is when they are a warlock taking two more levels. Because what these two levels of warlock *cannot* do for other classes is help them get their higher level features. By taking warlock levels you are delaying access to your primary class features. So its not all upside.

thethain

First Post
Most characters will be more powerful at 20 by being 100% single class.

That said, there are a lot of levels before level 20, and multiclassing can make those go by much easier, and lets be honest, what percentage of characters that start at level 1 make it to level 20?

Lets look at a pretty strong option for multiclassing. Level 1 Knowledge Cleric, level 19 Wizard. You LOSE: 2 3rd level spells that recharge on short rest at level 20. Access to higher level spells and feats are delayed a level (altho spell slots per day is the same).

What do you gain? Expertise in two knowledge skills, light,medium,shields simple weapons proficiency, Access to guidance, spare the dying, cure wounds and healing word, trade INT save for CHA save bonus. (Theres simply not many INT saves, CHA is not as good as wis/con/dex, but much more common than INT).

So even if your character does make it to level 20. Which is a BIG if. How long will they adventure at level 20? Will those 2 level 3 spells per day really be more important than the fact you were able to wear actual armor your entire adventuring career?

Really the only time I would worry about capstone abilities is if we were starting a new campaign at 20.
Who would be must have in that case:
Barbarians : +8 Ability bonus and unlimited rages, those are keepers
Cleric: Maybe.. its cooldown limitation is really limiting
Druid: Unlimited wildshapes means you basically have unlimited HP if you can't get killed in a turn
Fighter: 4x attacks are pretty impressive, especially with the additional action surge

Most of the other ones are methods of recovering resources outside of long rests, which are handy in certain situations, but not really game changers unless your campaign has extremely tight time schedule or some other reason long rests wouldn't be viable (which is more difficult when players have access to high level magic)

redrick

First Post
I think there's is a really interesting point that's coming out of this discussion.
As someone plays their PC each new level is compared against the possible dip and it sounds like most people are choosing not to dip.

On the other hand, in games where the PCs start at a higher level I think there tend to be more multiclassed characters. Possibly because the 'build' doesn't have to be worked towards and the player doesn't have to persevere through some of the less powerful levels.

I've seen the same thing in the groups I've played with. When leveling up their character, I've never seen anybody choose to multiclass, but when bringing a new character to the table at anything over level 1, I've seen quite a lot of multiclassed characters. Strictly anecdotal evidence, of course.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads