5E: Fifth Edition Monster Variants Inspired by Fourth Edition Sources

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Ok have aligned the shamen - went for recharge 4-6 for jaws of ruination (is cool, wanna see it used a bit in combat)

Attachments

• gnollshaman.png
    gnollshaman.png
    939.7 KB · Views: 64

Cleon

Legend
I was thinking we could give it one or two other actions inspired on the original's Encounter Powers or Daily Powers, but would have to look up the original Chosen in Monster Manual 3 to remind me what it had.

From my calculations, it's better if the Shaman's Conjure Pack summoned a fairly substantial number of hyenas since the shaman sacrifices a standard attack action to do so.

Remember, the Jaws of Ruination can summon three hyenas AND can do 6d6 damage. Summoning one extra hyena instead of 6d6 damage seems to be a poor trade.

I think it'd work better if Conjure Pack was, say "The gnoll beast shaman summons up to six spectral hyenas from their Spectral Pack, which appear within 30 feet of the shaman."

Not sure whether it needs the pack conjuring needs a Recharge too, will have to think about that.

Oh, the draft is missing a full stop at the end of Conjure Hyenas in its Bonus Actions.

Cleon

Legend
I was thinking we could give it one or two other actions inspired on the original's Encounter Powers or Daily Powers, but would have to look up the original Chosen in Monster Manual 3 to remind me what it had.

Y'okay, we've already got versions of pretty much all the Chosen of Yeenoghu's powers, although they differ in details and may be renamed, most are a bit stronger in our version than the 4E one. The Jaws for example can make three attacks instead of one.

Hmm, I suppose we could change the Jaws so it teleports already summoned spectral hyenas rather than summoning new ones. That'd follow the original monster more closely.

Also, the original's To the Front ability would teleport EVERY ally, not just one of them. That's pretty potent!

I'd be OK having it teleport multiple allies but would rather it only work on spectral hyenas!

How about adding a Recharge After a Short Rest power with the name Call Beyond the Grave but some more exciting mechanic than just summoning a few hyenas. Maybe it causes psychic damage, fear and/or paralysis over a largish radius or cone, and afterwards spectral hyenas who "hear the call" and pop into existence on their turns during the following round?

Cleon

Legend
Yeah I can live with restricting To The Front to the hyenas.

Rereading To The Front I realized the original was also restricted to allies adjacent to the Chosen (i.e. in a neighbouring square, which is a quite significant restriction).

Okay, so maybe change the name too?

Release the Hounds! Any [?] spectral hyena of the shaman's Spectral Pack within 10 feet of the gnoll beast shaman teleports to a spot within 120 feet of the shaman that the shaman can see. The hyenas arrive exactly where the gnoll beast shaman desires.​

So what about the idea of changing Jaws of Ruination so it teleports instead of summons?

Jaws of Ruination (Recharge 4–6). The gnoll beast shaman makes three ranged spell attacks (+6 to hit) with a range of 120 feet. On a hit, the target takes 7 (2d6) necrotic damage. Each attack can also teleport a spectral hyena of the beast shaman's Spectral Pack from a spot within 10 feet of the shaman to a spot within melee range of the target; the hyena teleports regardless of whether the attack hits or misses.​

That keeps the range consistent for teleport abilities of the Gnoll Beast Shaman.

Yeah, maybe 7 (2d6) psychic damage and fear over 60 ft radius?

I was thinking maybe a graduated "If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more" effect like the Dreadful Glare of a Mummy, so it goes Nothing/fear/paralyzed and any psychic damage (if it does damage, which I haven't quite decided on could be similarly graduated to, I don't know None/1d6/2d6).

Here's an outline:

Call Beyond the Grave (Recharge After a Short Rest) #1. The gnoll beast shaman unleashes an unearthly howl. Any living creature within 120 feet that is not an ally of the shaman must make a DC ## Wisdom saving throw or become frightened until the end of the shaman's next turn. If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, it is also paralyzed for the same duration.​
 The call summons six spectral hyenas from the shaman's Spectral Pack. Each spectral hyena appears on its turn at a spot within 120 feet of the shaman that the shaman can see. The hyenas arrive exactly where the gnoll beast shaman desires.​
Call Beyond the Grave (Recharge After a Short Rest) #2. The gnoll beast shaman unleashes an unearthly howl. Any living creature within 120 feet that is not an ally of the shaman must make a DC ## Wisdom saving throw or become frightened until the end of the shaman's next turn. If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, it takes 7 (2d6) psychic damage and is also paralyzed for the same duration.​
Call Beyond the Grave (Recharge After a Short Rest) #3. The gnoll beast shaman unleashes an unearthly howl. Any living creature within 120 feet that is not an ally of the shaman must make a DC ## Wisdom saving throw or take 3 (1d6) psychic damage and become frightened until the end of the shaman's next turn. If the target fails the saving throw by 5 or more, it takes 7 (2d6) psychic damage and is also paralyzed for the same duration.​

Wondered about using "must make a DC ## Wisdom or Charisma saving throw (target's choice which)" or just a Charisma saving throw instead of Wisdom. Or maybe, for extra complexity, we use both saving throws!

Also, "Call" is a bit of a vanilla word, how about "Howl" instead?

Howl From the Grave (Recharge After a Short Rest); aka Call Beyond the Grave #4. The gnoll beast shaman unleashes an unearthly call. Any living creature that is not an ally of the shaman within 120 feet must make a DC ## Charisma saving throw and a DC ## Wisdom saving throw. If the target fails the Charisma saving throw, it takes 3 (1d6) psychic damage, or 7 (2d6) psychic damage if it failed the saving throw by 5 or more. If the target fails the Wisdom saving throw, it become frightened until the end of the shaman's next turn, it is also paralyzed for the same duration if it failed the saving throw by 5 or more.​

Any of those tickle your fancy?

Cleon

Legend
I'm still thinking it needs at least one more at-will attack action and maybe some minor Spellcasting. Shamans can usually cast spells, after all.

For the attack, I'd repurpose the "Bolt of Ruination" idea without the spectral hyena addendum. Just have it do damage to a single target, probably with some harmful condition rider. Maybe have the condition be randomly determined for each hit? With the options, say, panicked (frightened and flee in terror), poisoned, slowed (as per the slow spell) and maybe something else Yeenoghu-related?

Maybe call it Bolt of Chaos?

The original spirit hyena's bite attack briefly slowed the target, so I would like a slow effect in this conversion somewhere.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
I like Howl From the Grave (Recharge After a Short Rest); aka Call Beyond the Grave #4.

Also agree with another spell - Ray of Frost is a cantrip that slows slightly. Or could just call it Crippling Bolt and make it necrotic damage, specifically targeting muscles - just lower move speed or slow ?

Cleon

Legend
I like Howl From the Grave (Recharge After a Short Rest); aka Call Beyond the Grave #4.

Updating the Gnoll Beast Shaman.

Are we using the teleporting or the summoning version of Jaws of Ruination?

I favour the teleporting one as that's closer to the MM3 version.

What about the Release the Hounds! bonus action?

Also agree with another spell - Ray of Frost is a cantrip that slows slightly. Or could just call it Crippling Bolt and make it necrotic damage, specifically targeting muscles - just lower move speed or slow ?

We could just give it ray of frost in Spellcasting. I wouldn't overburden it with spells though, I'm thinking Innate Spellcasting with a limited repertoire rather than full caster. It ought to focus on using its unique Actions against the enemy, not boring standard spells!

Will put those possibilities in the Enworld version.

Innate Spellcasting. The gnoll beast shaman's spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14; +6 to hit with spell attacks). The shaman can innately cast the following spells, requiring only verbal components:
  • At will: spell, spell
  • #/day each: spell, spell
OR
Spellcasting. The gnoll beast shaman is a #th-level spellcaster that used Wisdom as its spellcasting ability (spell save DC 14; +6 to hit with spell attacks). The shaman has the following spells prepared [OR "has the following druid spells prepared"?].

• Cantrip (at Will): spell, spell
  • 1st level (# slots): spell, spell

Ta da!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases