• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 5e isn't a Golden Age of D&D Lorewise, it's Silver at best.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'm not asking for a screed, just on a philosophical level, what principles impact the ethics of pricing this product? No need to bring politics or religion into it.
To answer that you would have to follow all the extra revenue that came in the door and see where it ended up.

If in the pockets of suppliers....an unavoidable increase to be sure. If in payroll to keep up with inflation, kudos for doing the bare minimum. If in the pockets of the employees to both cover inflation and give a raise, very admirable. If in the pockets of shareholders or executives as bigger dividends or bonuses than normal....shrug.

This has 0 to do with lore, however, so can we drop the politic adjacent fork?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
To answer that you would have to follow all the extra revenue that came in the door and see where it ended up.

If in the pockets of suppliers....an unavoidable increase to be sure. If in payroll to keep up with inflation, kudos for doing the bare minimum. If in the pockets of the employees to both cover inflation and give a raise, very admirable. If in the pockets of shareholders or executives as bigger dividends or bonuses than normal....shrug.

This has 0 to do with lore, however, so can we drop the politic adjacent fork?
Well, the overall attitude seems to be pretty dismissive of lore around here (with some exceptions), so what else can we talk about?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, the overall attitude seems to be pretty dismissive of lore around here (with some exceptions), so what else can we talk about?
I like lore, and a lot, actually. But it's like Lego bricks, not Holy Writ: toys that can be rearranged or replaced for the needs of the game.

And 5E is certainly a "Golden Age" of creating access to gameable pieces.of material.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Wow, that was certainly a turn in the thread, to say the least. What do the ethics of capitalism have to do with "the Golden Age of Lore" again?

Yeah, yeah. I hate that Spelljammer costs so much for so few pages as much as the next guy. If I had my way, every setting book would be as long and of as high quality as the Eberron and Wildemount books. But I'm still buying the books because Spelljammer is my favorite setting.

Well, back to the "complaining about 5e's lore" topic of this thread. Maybe it's just because I've never played any previous editions, but I think the lore from 5e's recent releases is of high quality. Notably the Priests of Osybus and Nechricors from Ravenloft, the entirety of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, the lore expansions to Tasha from TCoE and Witchlight, and the Archaics/Oracles from Strixhaven (and I say this as someone that doesn't like the Strixhaven book) as examples from recent releases.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Wow, that was certainly a turn in the thread, to say the least. What do the ethics of capitalism have to do with "the Golden Age of Lore" again?

Yeah, yeah. I hate that Spelljammer costs so much for so few pages as much as the next guy. If I had my way, every setting book would be as long and of as high quality as the Eberron and Wildemount books. But I'm still buying the books because Spelljammer is my favorite setting.

Well, back to the "complaining about 5e's lore" topic of this thread. Maybe it's just because I've never played any previous editions, but I think the lore from 5e's recent releases is of high quality. Notably the Priests of Osybus and Nechricors from Ravenloft, the entirety of Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, the lore expansions to Tasha from TCoE and Witchlight, and the Archaics/Oracles from Strixhaven (and I say this as someone that doesn't like the Strixhaven book) as examples from recent releases.
The biggest difference is quantity, not quality: but WotC can't compete with the Internet for quantity, they tried in 3E and it was notna success. TSR pumped out quantity in a time when, get this, there was no Internet. Different world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads