• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Aberrant Mind's Psionic Sorcery is officially the most powerful feature.

Hohige

Explorer
So, let's walk through this one more time:

1) Sleep is a 1st level spell. I know this because I look in the spell lists and it's there under first level spells.
2) To make Fireball a higher level spell, the only way available is to cast it in a higher level slot. To do this, you must cast the spell using the cast a spell action and expend the higher level spell slot. Only then do we treat the upcast spell as a higher level.
Its completely wrong. There a lot of way to cast a 5th level fireball without spending spell slot.

Archmage staff expend 7 charges instead Spell slots to cast a 7th level fireball.
Why I cant expend 5 Sorcery Point to cast 5th fireball?
Check mate.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I agreed almost everything, except.
"You cant upcast a Psionic Sorcery"
For me Its completely wrong.
The spell level isnt The lowest level that you can cast.
Lets say.
I want to cast a level 6 Fireball. " Reading rules, The spell assumes LEVEL 6. THE SPELL IS LEVEL 6.
But with Psionic Sorcery, you can cast It with Sorcery Point instead Spell slots as normally.
There isnt any spell level restriction as MAGIC INITIATE feat does.
The Magic Initiate is pretty clear about It, you must cast It as Its lowest level.
Psionic Sorcery has no restriction.

My Point is.
Spell's level is determined when you cast It.
Now I use SP instead Spell Slots

To me Its pretty clear. Specific beat general.
The problem is that it's impossible for a PC to upcast a spell past the highest slot that he has. That limits your sorcery points to the highest slot that he has. WotC isn't going to give any class or subclass the ability to cast 9th level spells at 7th level. You are very clearly misinterpreting this ability.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Since you haven't seen the actual text, I will just mention to you that you cannot use this feature to cast Fireball, since only the spells on your "psionic spells" list can be cast in this way. Whilst you can swap one of these each time you level up, you can only replace it with an Enchantment or Divination from the Sorcerer, Wizard or Warlock list. Which Fireball isn't.
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about that. I just grabbed Fireball to try to explain the concept to him.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Its completely wrong. There a lot of way to cast a 5th level fireball without spending spell slot.

Archmage staff expend 7 charges instead Spell slots to cast a 7th level fireball.
Check mate.
Because the leaps you are making don't make any sense. I can use that logic, too. See if this makes sense to you.

It's completely wrong. There are lots of ways to cast a 9th level Wish without spending a spell slot.

Gods can cast 9th Level Wish spells.
Why can't I expend 9 Sorcery Points to cast a 9th level Wish spell?
Check mate.

Just because something other than you can cast a spell on your behalf, even if you are using that something, does not make it another way for you to personally up cast spells.

Hohige

Explorer
Because the leaps you are making don't make any sense. I can use that logic, too. See if this makes sense to you.

It's completely wrong. There are lots of ways to cast a 9th level Wish without spending a spell slot.

Gods can cast 9th Level Wish spells.
Why can't I expend 9 Sorcery Points to cast a 9th level Wish spell?
Check mate.

Just because something other than you can cast a spell on your behalf, even if you are using that something, does not make it another way for you to personally up cast spells.
I give up. :D
Oh you was ignored.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

Check mate.
Those are specific rules, though -- they clearly spell out the specific change and it only applies there. That they exist doesn't mean it's now a generally approachable thing.

You cast spells using spell slots unless otherwise stated. Psionic sorcery references the level of the spell, not any spell level. If you look up Sleep, it's a 1st level spell. Nothing about psionic sorcery allows you to change this. The Staff of the Magi does specifically state that it casts Fireball at 7th level. Absent this specific kind of wording, the general rule applies, and here when spell level is referred to, it means the base level of the spell because the only way to change that is through upcasting with a slot or a specific callout.

Hohige

Explorer
Those are specific rules, though -- they clearly spell out the specific change and it only applies there. That they exist doesn't mean it's now a generally approachable thing.

You cast spells using spell slots unless otherwise stated. Psionic sorcery references the level of the spell, not any spell level. If you look up Sleep, it's a 1st level spell. Nothing about psionic sorcery allows you to change this. The Staff of the Magi does specifically state that it casts Fireball at 7th level. Absent this specific kind of wording, the general rule applies, and here when spell level is referred to, it means the base level of the spell because the only way to change that is through upcasting with a slot or a specific callout.
7th fireball. Its the spell level. The caster always chooses the level.
Its completely diferent from Magic Initiate that is always the lowest level.
I dont care about using spell slots or Sorcery Point. A 7th spell consumes 7th level spell slots or 7 Sorcery Point.
If The Psionic Sorcery has no restriction, a level 9 Summon Aberration consumes 9 Sorcery Points.
As I showed, you can cast 7th fireball with charges and replaces completely spells slots. Now, I Will cast with Sorcery Points instead Spell slot.

If anyone show me why I cant use 7th Sleep as Psionic spell. Im wrong
Otherwise .Its RAW. Clear as Water.
The Psionic Sorcerer uses The spell' level that can higher level spending more Sorcery Points, equal Staff of Mage expending 7 charges to cast a 7th fireball. Its completely different than Magic Initiate or Ritual caster especifies that cant be upcasted.

No restriction as Ritual Caster or Magic Initiate do. Any Psionic spell can be casted as higher level.
RAW.

Last edited:

Hohige

Explorer
The Psionic Sorcery has no restriction as Magic Initiate or Ritual casting especifies.
Its pretty hard to argue that I cant cast a Psionic spell as a higher level expending more Sorcery Points.

Undrave

Legend
7th fireball. Its the spell level. The caster always chooses the level.
Its completely diferent from Magic Initiate that is always the lowest level.
I dont care about using spell slots or Sorcery Point. A 7th spell consumes 7th level spell slots or 7 Sorcery Point.
If The Psionic Sorcery has no restriction, a level 9 Summon Aberration consumes 9 Sorcery Points.
As I showed, you can cast 7th fireball with charges and replaces completely spells slots. Now, I Will cast with Sorcery Points instead Spell slot.

If anyone show me why I cant use 7th Sleep as Psionic spell. Im wrong
Otherwise .Its RAW. Clear as Water

Look, your interpretation breaks the game... it's clearly not RAI so why do you keep insisting that's how it even works?!

Remove ads