D&D 5E Any good ideas for Theros PCs?

JPL

Adventurer
I kinda like the notion of a classic Steve Reeves type. Could be a heroism paladin, certainly, but zealot barbarian would keep things loinclothy.

Might make that guy a demigod, and give him an all-mortal half-brother companion. Maybe a rogue inquisitive, for a brains + brawn combo? Or a rogue scout, for more of a scrappy little guy?

Pankration monk would be cool . . . Open Fist + Grapple feat, I guess?

Hexblade warlock might work for a hero entrusted with a magic weapon . . . sort of an avatar of one of the weapons wielded by their patron?

There's a couple of possible options for a sphinx-themed character. Inscrutable, obviously . . . Knowledge or Arcana cleric?

JPL

Adventurer
I have posted this idea before, but I'd also like to try a character or campaign based on The Mighty Sons of Hercules.

Legends say that Hercules begat 50 sons upon the fifty daughters of Thespius. For game purposes, I would assume that this seemed like a good idea at the time, but then a prophecy pointed out that having 50 quarter-divine boys come of age in close proximity could cause trouble. They were fostered out far and wide, to kings and peasants alike. One or more of the PCs discovers their lineage, and mighty deeds ensue.

Needs a little tweaking to use in Theros, but as a campaign, this would be about having multiple guys in the same party who have maxed out their Strength score and are all glory-hungry alpha males. If there's just a single PC along these lines, he could still be running down all of his brother-cousins . . . or they could be looking for him.

Baedalous: This aging human is an artificer, haunted by the betrayal of his patron and by loss of his son to one of his experiments. Now he wanders the world, constantly trying to avoid those who would abuse his knowledge, and sworn never to craft another invention. But the gods have other plans for their plaything...

JPL

Adventurer
Baedalous: This aging human is an artificer, haunted by the betrayal of his patron and by loss of his son to one of his experiments. Now he wanders the world, constantly trying to avoid those who would abuse his knowledge, and sworn never to craft another invention. But the gods have other plans for their plaything...

Bronzepunk artificers are a very appealing option.

JPL

Adventurer
Nyxborn + Lifelong Companion is a nice combo . . . if a god has a favored champion, why not create an ally to look after that champion?

Nyxborn + Lifelong Companion + Divine Sorcerer or Celestial Warlock is especially good . . . a wielder of mysterious arcane powers, to support the more martially-oriented Hero.

Rogue + Athlete + Mobility feat + Expertise in Athletics and Acrobatics could get some gymkata action going.

Feels like there should be a fighter or barbarian build focused on raw strength . . . the guy who chokes hydras to death, one neck at a time.

JPL

Adventurer
Iconoclast + Chaotic Neutral + Monk + Zaheer from "Legend of Korra" would be a cool character, but very hard to incorporate into a typical party, and maybe better as an antagonist. Sort of an anarchist philosopher who rejects divine dominance over mortal beings.

JPL

Adventurer
Minotaur + Eldritch Knight + Sage background + max out Str and Int would make for a good Hank McCoy type --- a beautiful mind in a beastly body.

As a variation on that theme, Minotaur + Eloquence Bard + Courtier background, for the man-bull who talks like Kelsey Grammer and moves comfortably in the halls of kings.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases