D&D 5E Are you happy with D&D Next so far?

Are you happy with D&D Next so far?

• Yes.

Votes: 110 50.0%
  • No.

Votes: 50 22.7%
  • Need more material before a more accurate opinion can be given.

Votes: 60 27.3%

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Now that you've playtested the new rules, are you happy with how the game as turned out so far?

I'm not really impressed so far. I know it's just a playtest and it's not everything but going by what we have so far, I'm just not that excited about it.

Right now I can see our group playing it just to try it out and maybe playing it on days where we need a break from our current games but I don't see our group tripping over themselves and dropping other games to play it.

As more things are being mentioned the attitude for it gets better and then something else will come out that will make the attitude go down again so I really don't know what the future will bring but right now, in my opinion, it doesn't look good.

What do you think?

BobTheNob

First Post
Am I completely happy with the playtest? No. But that is absolutely the wrong question. Couldnt be more wrong.

It a playtest, a prototype. Its meant to have bits that are wrong. Drawing any conclussion at this stage based on a prototype are completely specious. You just cant pay attention to it.

The one thing I CAN pay attention to is the things that the guys at WOTC are saying. Frankly, I have had some real issues with previous editions and the stated objectives of 5E directly address what I had issues with. Its like they read my mind.

At the same time they are responding adequately to feedback and communicating. Adding a level of transparency.

Frankly, my opinion is its looking great.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It could be worse. From a game design perspective, from a customer relations perspective, it could be worse. And has been worse.

But that isn't the bar.

Do the playtest mechanics look like a modern, cutting edge piece of game design? No. Do they capture the classic D&D "feel"? No. Do they fix all the many issues of the 3.X engine? No. Have they reversed course on the mistakes of 4e? No.

The playtest rules are a mixed bag at best; a combination of old-school simplicity (too simple, in some cases), 3.X standardization and fairness, and 4e non-sequiturs.

It's only one playtest, and there's definitely plenty of opportunity to fix things, but as to the OP's question, right now it's not looking as good as it could or it should, so I'm not happy with it.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I see nothing of 5e that my favored edition doesn't already offer.

That said, I'm not looking for excuses to drop $90 on another set of core books, so I'm okay with being totally non-plussed about 5e. :)

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Is it a game I am familiar with? Yes.

Does it have elements I am NOT familiar with? Yes.

Do those elements seem to make a better more fun experience and, from what I understand about the later editions' play styles, more "balanced" experience? Yes.

Do I approve of 5e (could we drop the "Next" business, pleeeease?!?! SO lame...SO like saying it's D&D XXTREEEEEMEssss!!! HATE IT!) in the info from the play test I've seen/read thus far? YES!

Am I happy with 5e thus far? Yes.

ren1999

First Post
I started out surprised and a little angry.
Then I went to cautiously a little hopeful.

But after seeing recent comments by some designers, I'm very optimistically happy that they are at least responding to our praises and criticisms.

I'm just bored waiting for more play-test material.

So last night I designed a Dark Sun "Slit Horror". I didn't have some information so I just limited its stats to 20 and gave it 3 attacks per turn with 1dice damage. I pitted this tentacle beast against the party and allowed the party to join forces with a Hook Horror and a Dark Adept. The math and combat mechanics were fast and fun. 5E has real potential in my opinion.

If you're bored and want to try..
My Dungeons & Dragons Hybrid Game for Firefox and Chrome kira3696.tripod.com/CombatTracker.rar

If you actually have downloaded this game, you'll notice that I haven't been making many improvements. I could turn this into a fully playable game loading all the maps and monsters but I would then be competing with Wizards and that is not my intention. This is just a tool to test one encounter and some skill challenges. I do use this on my laptop when running a tabletop game. It helps me to track numbers and conditions.

fjw70

Adventurer
I have been pretty happy so far. I really like the philosophy of the design. I like all editions but am not entirely with any of them so a rules set that will allow me to mix and match from different editions is very appealing.

I like the basic design around character creation (I.e. race/class/background/theme) and not having a defined skill list.

While I can quibble here and there with a thing or two, on the whole I think they have nailed the "ultra core" set of rules. Most importantly, I think there is a whole stack of room to turn it into "my" D&D; and I am hopeful they are going to provide the bulk of the extras to help me do that. I think they've got the foundation right, and it will be interesting to see the myriad of directions different people will be able to take it.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Oni

First Post
So far? Yeah, I'm quite happy with the direction things are going. Are there things I would change? Sure, and it's obviously not finished, but in general I feel very positive about it so far. My initial inclination is that has the potential to be an improvement over the last couple of editions.

Remove ads