D&D 5E Attack Cantrips

Rhenny

Adventurer
Just because they took Lance of Faith out of this package doesn't mean it won't be in the final. They may have both Sacred Flame and Lance of Faith. Actually, I think they need to have more cantrips with more flavor/effects so that each type of caster can be more customized to taste.

I am a huge fan of cantrips that do limited to no damage, but have chances to effect the world or a foe in other ways.

F5

Explorer
I had a thought that the cantrips themselves should be minor, useful effects that do not scale, but that they could be applied to some other spell/ability, that would deal the actual damage, and that is what would scale. Something like a 1st-level "Magefire Orb" spell, that creates a floating globe that does scaled-per-level damage to anything that comes in contact with it, but does not move on its' own. Then, Mage Hand becomes your "attack cantrip"; you use Mage Hand to throw your Magefire Orb at the bad guys.

But the more I thought about it, the more I'm convinced that it's cute, but unnecessarily complex. Just let the "attack cantrip" scale, and be done with it. Mechanically, it's the same except that you don't have to waste an action summoning your orb before you can attack. I don't like it, but it works.

lkj

Hero
To each their own, but I like attack cantrips. it just makes sense to me that adventuring casters might have access to a simple spell that they have practiced over and over again to help them in a pinch.

I do wonder if we are seeing the front end some more major changes to the classes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a 'laser' cleric becomes a build within the cleric class. Much the same way I think that the new crit rules are the first indication that there will be classes that specialize in doing more substantial critical damage. Which is what the Read Me file suggests anyway.

AD

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
One advantage of making the attacks cantrips rather than class abilities is that it requires an investment:

players need to choose that this is how their characters are going to create damage. With certain divinities, it is with an attack cantrip (shocking grasp, chill touch, now sacred flame). If your divinity doesn't grant you one, then you need to choose it over save the dying, or thaumaturgy or any of the other cleric cantrips. It is a choice -- and one not all clerics will make. Some will be very happy with their weapons, thank you very much, and want their at will abilities to make their eyes go all weird with Thaumaturgy. I like this being an element of the build, rather than just an ability all clerics possess.

Paraxis

Explorer
I agree not all clerics should posses a class ability that allows them to make a magical attack every round, but some should. The cleric builds that don't get extra weapon and armor proficiency should get it and so should the ones where it is part of the idea behind the build like the sun clerics.

Wizards should be able to either choose what type of damage it is at first level or it should default to force, and have the implement possibly change it up so a generic wizard's wand allows them to arcane bolt for Xd6 damage but they could find a wand of acid, cold, fire, lightning, ect....

The default wizard action for single target direct damage should be this arcane bolt class ability even at higher levels. Spells should be utility, crowd control, area affect attacks, ect...

Remove ads