Avalanche Hurler and heavy thrown weapons

Turtlejay

First Post
Martial Power has a paragon path called avalanche hurler. It is made for rangers who wish to use thrown weapons. I like this paragon path. I do have a bit of confusion, though. Heavy thrown weapons use Strength when thrown. Ranger powers all specify:

Strength vs. AC (melee; main weapon and off-hand weapon) or Dexterity vs. AC (ranged)

Which to me is very specific. If you are making a ranged attack use Dex, if you are making a melee attack use Strength.

Do I not get it? This is really odd. So, if I build my ranger around throwing heavy thrown weapons using ranger powers using Dex, my basic attack will still use Strength?

Or does the text in the Heavy Thrown Weapon Properties description trump:

You hurl a thrown weapon from your hand, rather than using it to loose a projectile. A ranged basic attack with a heavy thrown weapon uses your Strength instead of your Dexterity for the attack and damage rolls.

Anyone else confused by this?

Jay

themilkman

First Post
AFAIK, the stat listed in the power always trumps the stat used for basic attacks. For example, a basic melee attack uses Str, yet melee attacks with rogue powers use Dex, and Swordmage powers use Int.

So even if you are using a heavy thrown weapon, you should roll Dex if the power tells you to.

That said, rules are negotiable, and if that just doesn't make sense for you, talk with your group about changing it.

Turtlejay

First Post
It is the *idea* of the class and the description of it that confuses me. From the description:

As an ever resourceful avalanche hurler, you
are effective both in close combat and at range.
Rather than mastering one ranger fighting style, you
embrace both, using thrown melee weapons as your
chosen instruments of death. What you lose in range
and damage, you make up for with your versatility,
being able to make attacks against adjacent enemies
and then send your weapons flying against those​
beyond your reach.

In order to be good at that you would suffer from pretty serious MAD. Not that this class should be immune to it. Just seems odd.

Jay

Larrin

Entropic Good
Focusing on Str and Dex isn't killer MAD...heck alot of scimtar TWF builds out there already look like this. You may have to start with a 16 in each stat (after racials), but thats survivable (unless you have a +2 str/dex race). Prime shot might be a usueful ability to make sure you remember and capitalize on. Wis will be less of a focus than usual, but thats fine too. Pretty striaght forward for a split focus build.

Engilbrand

First Post
I'll look when I get home, but I would assume that you're using STR to throw, not DEX. What does it actually say in the power description for the Paragon Path.

Pickles JG

First Post
a) It's designed as a hybrid class path & maxing Dex & Str is hardly crippling MAD.

b) If you just want to chuck throwing weapons you need take any one ranger at will & you can use dex with your heavy throwers. & with twin strike being the dogs bollocks why not?

The level 11 power is stupidly good too , my determindly hybrid ranger is looking at it with some relish.:D

Remove ads