• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Barbarian: Enhanced Vitality is....pretty bad.

Stalker0

Legend
So this result seems so stark that I need some people to check me on this, because if I'm right, the Enhanced Vitality ability compared to Preternatural Awareness just seems pretty weak.

The two barb abilities are as follows:

1) Enhanced Vitality: Barb can use con or armor bonus instead of dex save bonus when going against "dex save for half" abilities.

2) Preternatural Evasion: On "dex save for half" abilities, take no damage on success, half on failure.

The Most Extreme Example you Could Imagine
So lets assume an attack comes in doing 100 damage on a failure, or 50 on a success (the actual damage here doesn't matter for this comparison, this is just for a convenience).

Lets take the absolute worst possible save bonus you could have, meaning you fail the save 95% of the time. But you have Preternatural Evasion.

The average damage you would take is: 47.5.

Now lets say you took Enhanced Vitality instead. And the bonus was MASSIVE.... so much that you now pass the save 95% of the time (aka the highest possible bonus you could ask for in an ability).

The average damage you would take is: 52.5! EV is worse than PV

A High End "Realistic Example"
How about a more realistic example, that is still pretty extreme but is actually possible. Lets say base dex save had a 45% of success, and your con save was a solid +10 higher than that (8 dex vs 20 con, and +4 prof bonus to con...aka about as high as you would expect most of the time). So a 45% vs 95% chance of success. Its now 27.5 for PE, 52.5 for EV (PE cuts the damage in half practically).

Conclusion: When it comes to damage mitigation, there is no scenario that PV is better than EV....none.

The Other Stuff

Ok, so Enhanced Vitality sucks at mitigating damage in comparison, full stop, no debate, no question. The other side of the coin are effects that save for half damage AND have some rider effect. Take a high level dragon breath weapon (Black Dragon as an example), its a dex save for half damage AND you are blind if you fail. Ok, EV will be better in those cases.

I guess the question is how often are those going to occur?

Doing a search of the monster book, there are 206 instances of dexterity saves being used. Of those, here are the monsters that have dex save for half effects that also have a rider if the fail the save.

Planetarprone
Bulletteprone
Spell-Warped Chuulprone
Black dragonBlind (5)
Ongoing Acid (2)
Blue Dragonblind (1)
damage jumps to new target (2)
no Reaction (3)
Green DragonPoisoned (2)
Red DragonOngoing Fire (5)
White dragonSpeed to 0 (2)
Earth DragonBlind (2)
River DragonProne, Push 60
Prone, Push 30
Brass Dragonblind (2)
Ongoing Fire (2)
Bronze DragonNo Reaction (3)
Copper DragonOngoing Acid (2)
Blind (2)
Gold DragonSpeed to 0 (2)
Titanic TurtleBlind
MaridPush 20, Prone
Hill GiantProne
Half-DragonOngoing Fire
Scorpion FolkPoisoned

Note that the vast vast majority of these are dragons (Young and older), so if you don't have a lot of dragons in your game, the benefit is not going to come up all that often.

So based on my readings I just can't see every taking EV over PA. Do you agree, did I miss something, do you think these monster effects are strong enough to warrant the ability?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Lets say that instead of Rugged defense's ac=10+dex mod+con mod the berserker has good int for bonus knowledge(405) & bonus specialties & good charisma to be social& great str/con to hit things & have lots of hp the berserker takes
1637180496095.png
Dumping dex & getting to use your con (or maybe your armor's AC /AC -10?) instead is huge. I'm not sure what exactly the second half of enhanced vitality does though since I don't know of anywhere armor bonus is defined

Stalker0

Legend
Dumping dex & getting to use your con (or maybe your armor's AC /AC -10?) instead is huge. I'm not sure what exactly the second half of enhanced vitality does though since I don't know of anywhere armor bonus is defined
Well note, that there is NO AMOUNT OF BONUS that will make EV reduce more damage than PE. It could be +1000, wouldn't matter. The only benefit of EV is in dex half effects that have a condition rider.

MarkB

Legend
I suppose one scenario in which you'd take Enhanced Vitality is if you've already got a feature, such as a rogue's Evasion, which gives you the effect of Preternatural Evasion. However, that'd be a pretty deep multiclass, and you'd expect a rogue/barbarian to have a decent Dex save bonus in any case.

Langy

Explorer
To balance it, I'd suggest making Preternatural Evasion all or nothing.

Full damage or No damage.
That's much better for balance, yeah. The 'half damage on failure, zero damage on success' effect is strictly better than even a 'always succeed against a save for half damage' effect (in terms of damage mitigation) because even on a failure you always get the damage someone who took the other effect would get on a success.

MarkB

Legend
Another option which would improve Enhanced Vitality, and would also make it run more smoothly at the table: Have it apply to all Dexterity saves, not just those which do half damage on a save. That will increase its damage mitigation, and also means you don't have to ask your DM a follow-up question every time you're asked to make a Dexterity save.

Good point. But maybe there are also other factors to consider: being restrained, grappled, or in general conditions that force to always fail Dex saves (or rolling with disadvantage). I still need to finish reading all the books, but IIRC at least in o5e there's pretty much nothing preventing you from rolling Con saves, so that could balance things a bit. Even considering this, though, half damage on a fail seems OP, also because a Berserker can also have resistance to various forms of damage (bear totem)

Stalker0

Legend
Another option which would improve Enhanced Vitality, and would also make it run more smoothly at the table: Have it apply to all Dexterity saves, not just those which do half damage on a save. That will increase its damage mitigation, and also means you don't have to ask your DM a follow-up question every time you're asked to make a Dexterity save.
I think right now this looks like the best answer. Most dex saves are for half damage anyway, but this at least opens up a good number of other saves to get the bonus on

Remove ads