• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Battletech/Mechwarrior PbP: "Days of the Jackal" [closed]

Festy_Dog

First Post
3025 merc unit sounds good to me, my next choice would probably be post Clan invasion Davion (they're the house with lots of Clan stuff, right?).

Ah yes, someone had put up a brilliant link in the other thread which lead to an extensive database of mechs and their stats. I had it in my favourites but after reformatting I lost it, anyone remember where it was?

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
Festy_Dog said:
3025 merc unit sounds good to me, my next choice would probably be post Clan invasion Davion (they're the house with lots of Clan stuff, right?).

One of them. The Clan invasion was fought purely on Steiner planets, but both by Davion and Steiner units, as they were still a "Federated Commonwealth" back then. But there is also Kurita and (due to their desperate need for troops) several merc units to managed to pry Clan tech away from the Combine as part of their contracts. (Whereas Davion and Steiner didn't give any away. [Unless you are part of the Kell Hounds, of course. :) ]

The most extensive concentration is surely within ComGuard's Invader Galaxy post Tukkayid.

Festy, I will search for that link and post it here.

Folkert

Douane

First Post
Festy,

here is something for you.

Please keep in mind, that, depending on the final decision, some designs might simply not be available. (Or rather, only with a very fitting background, which we'll have to create. :) )

Folkert

Urbanmech

Explorer
I would really prefer Steiner or Davion since they are probably the easiest to relate to. I think a House game would be more interesting than a Merc game Since one of the things I like about 3025 Battletech was all the House intrigue and being a merc you loose some of that. I think you should stay away from Kurita and Liao since it is harder to role play that asian flavor (not to mention Liao getting kicked to the floor in the 4th Succession War).

One quick character generation question, how does title break down as far as advantage points go?

Douane

First Post
Urbanmech said:
I would really prefer Steiner or Davion since they are probably the easiest to relate to. I think a House game would be more interesting than a Merc game Since one of the things I like about 3025 Battletech was all the House intrigue and being a merc you loose some of that.

But being house could limit your freedom rather severely. As we are talking about lance level here, it might make the PCs a rather small cog. Besides, well, remember the fate of the Syrtis Fusiliers and the 10th Lyran Guard? :D

(not to mention Liao getting kicked to the floor in the 4th Succession War).

Yes, but did it happen yet? ;)

Besides, don't you want to be the one to stop the onslaught?

One quick character generation question, how does title break down as far as advantage points go?

Sorry! Need to get my butt in gear (and find my stuff). But from memory (which should be correct) it goes:

1 - Knight
2 - Baronet
3 - Baron

Folkert

Last edited:

Douane

First Post
I think you should stay away from Kurita and Liao since it is harder to role play that asian flavor

Please remember that especially the Combine is not a monolithic asian block. While asian culture and traditions might be dominant throughout the Combine, they are not everywhere.

Douane

First Post
Just to confirm the title ranks:

1 Knight
2 Baronet
3 Baron

The noble title alone does not grant any land. You could also decide to be an heir to a title, in which case it costs 1 point less (though no Knight, of course).

Shalimar

First Post
I'd be most interested in splitting the difference, ie a House merc. A unit like the Kell Hounds, Eridani Light Horse or the Northwind Highlanders, they have a long term garrission contract with a house but they then have supplemental contracts sending smaller forces out on individual contracts.

Personally I have a few ideas:
1)All the players are independent of each other and on either Galtea the Merc world, or Solaris, and one of the players, or an NPC is putting together a merc unit, hiring people with Battlemechs or infantry training, or tech training, or whatever.
2)A conventional lance, or some other force in one of the house militaries
3)An unconventional house force, like what Katrina Steiner did with the Red Corsairs, or Death Commandos, or any intelligence service
4)Or we could just play some pirates :p

I like number 1 the best, it gives us the chance to interact getting to know each other, it also gives us a big hand in forming it. I like that it also removes the ability to have seeming unlimited resources as a house unit.

If we go with Merc I have an Idea or 2, The first is a distant relative of the Steiner Family who left in disgrace after her Company (Isn't nepotism grand?) was ambushed and destroyed by a Kurita ambush, she was ransomed off, and offered another command but it was only a ceremonial one with absolutely no chance of combat, so feeling bitter about it, she leaves, heading to a Merc recruiting world under an assumed name to hide any difficulties brought about by her past. She would be a good but not very experienced mech warrior who is dispossesed.

Is there any bonus for being dispossesed since the size of your battle-mech seems to be factored into your other stats. I would want Her to start dispossesed but later pick up a mech at some point during the game as salvage, or buy stealing one in furtherance of a contract.

Douane

First Post
Everyone,

I'm very, very sorry about this but I miscalculated the skill points rather heavily in the combinations I gave above. If you already did some design work on your PC, please recheck the values. Thanks!

Folkert

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads