• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Store To Buy A New PC?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
HP has a pretty decent rep for computers, and you can buy them just about anywhere - from Best Buy to Wal-Mart to online. I know a lot of people who dislike Dell intensely, and Gateway has a poor rep. Fresno seems like the likeliest place for you, after a quick look at Google Maps.

Rackhir

Explorer
Well what is it you want the computer to do for you?

FWIW, the problem with most tier one vendors is that they often use non-standard parts. One of the most common things to die on a computer is the power supply. With a "white box" computer you can just go to the corner computer store and pick up a replacement. Dells (or HP or for that matter Apple) typically have custom power supplies.

Now I realize you don't think you have the knowledge or skills to build a computer, but for the most part it really isn't that difficult to do as long as you have basic instruction following skills.

My personal recommendation would be to go to a white box vendor, that assembles a computer out of standard parts. They are typically only a little more expensive than putting the pieces together, offer tech support and will test things out for you after the computer is assembled.

We bought a couple of computers from this place for my job and have been happy with the results.
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

IME, consumer tech support from most tier one vendors (dell, HP, etc..) sucks horribly. You are almost invariably dealing with a drone in India, who is only permitted to run you through a script and has no ability to actually problem solve. I would only consider buying one, if I got one of their business machines, since then you would be talking to their business tech support. Which understands that you have a brain and they can actually be helpful.

Last edited:

Remove ads