• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E BREAKING 5th Edition!

was

Adventurer
Tragically, the moderation of message boards created a new endangered species.:p

Attachments

• InetTroll.jpg
    InetTroll.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Werebat

Explorer
...people who miss unmoderated newsgroups are free to set up an unmoderated, all-comments-posted, no-holds-barred, trolls-welcome website, for as long as they actually enjoy the results.

Falsehood dressed as truth, and you know why.

Here on Enworld, there's an direct metric for how many people find your posts amusing or useful. Are you getting those responses? Are other people getting those responses? What are they doing differently?

I've gotten more such positive feedback than you have, so there's that.

Werebat

Explorer
Tragically, the moderation of message boards created a new endangered species.:p

Yes, but there were other things lost, too. If you don't know what, well, then you don't know what.

It can be difficult for those on heavy tranquilizers to remember exactly what it was other than the pain that they dulled, as they are herded up the hill towards that strange looking house.

Werebat

Explorer
Honestly, every version has always been on the DM. A DM can always make up for min/maxing and too powerful characters by going off script and bulking up the opposition. RPGs are living things that appear to have rules but have always been guidelines. And I really don't see much problems with RAW in 5e yet. All the threads I've seen here asking about interpretations and the like - the written as rules of 5e all appear very clear to me; if someone at a table suggests a different interpretation of a particular rule, a logical explanation of the DM's opinion should be quite sufficient as it's normally backed up by the exact wording.

For younger/newer DMs, rules lawyers can be a problem.... but a DM can always compensate for power gaming.

Yes, "Rule Zero" and all that. But a system that intentionally doesn't address certain situations that are likely to come up in game is taking a different approach than a system that creates rules (or "guidelines", if you prefer) for as many situations as possible -- and this difference is important.

The more a DM deviates from the RAW, the more likely his players will be to get upset. If the DM decides to give full arcane casting to all classes that don't already have it, the wizard's player is most likely going to be irked (assuming the DM doesn't also give wizards some equally juicy goodie). So yeah, the DM always had power to change the rules (consider E6), but there are prices to be paid for exercising that power.

In 3E and PF, advantage went to the masters of min/max as well as those who could "fake it" by doing web searches for "ultimate builds". From what I can see, 5E is shaping up to be a game where advantage does to the players who are best at manipulating their DMs. I've already pointed out that given the easy dissemination of information in our society, this is probably the lesser of two evils.

was

Adventurer
It can be difficult for those on heavy tranquilizers to remember exactly what it was other than the pain that they dulled, as they are herded up the hill towards that strange looking house.

Like those who fail to realize that they basically keep having the same discussion over and over again?

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?358027-5th-Edition-Help-Me-Break-the-Game!

Or simply enjoyed annoying other posters so much that they needed to repeat the experience?

Last edited:

Werebat

Explorer
Well, except for, well...you know.

(This is actually fun).

Ha! An excellent example of what I was talking about.

Of course (as opposed to the difference between rules-based resolution and DM fiat based resolution), this would be more about the difference between a game with a DM and a game with no DM.

Except that it isn't a game (unless you make it one).

Remove ads