Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Speaking of Argenti, I was looking to answer her question (As to if Shedrick is hurt) and I realize that I don't actually know. He took 6 points of damage, but my notes claim that he had 7 temp hit points. Unfortunately, I've left this game in limbo long enough that I don't remember how it works - that's Ethian's doing, right? Did he have those at the beginning of the fight? Also, am I correct that (unlike my round one post, which shows Croc Jon injured) everyone is long since healed up, right?
The 7hp is indeed from Ethian but they only last for the duration of Twilight’s blessing.
Cheers,

sg

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Okay, now that things are calming down around here, I'm gonna try to catch up on my games. Thanks for waiting for me.

Interesting. It's pretty vague as to how to rule it if the component is consumed but does not have a cost listed. The spell says it consumes holy water or powdered silver and iron, but it doesn't have a cost listed nor does it imply "how much" of those things it consumes. Let's just say that Ethian has enough powdered silver and iron in his component pouch to cast the spell for the duration of this part of the adventure, and it's one of those things that he'd replace in town as part of his lifestyle expenses.
Ever since that stupid tweet by Crawford, I tend to just buy a vial of holy water and count it as done. As you said, it doesn't say how much holy water you need, and a vial is a pound of water, so that's pretty hefty amount of holy water (25 gp of silver). That's a damn expensive spell if it costs 25 gp to cast a level 1 spell EVERY TIME.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ever since that stupid tweet by Crawford, I tend to just buy a vial of holy water and count it as done. As you said, it doesn't say how much holy water you need, and a vial is a pound of water, so that's pretty hefty amount of holy water (25 gp of silver). That's a damn expensive spell if it costs 25 gp to cast a level 1 spell EVERY TIME.
Right, and if it did cost a whole vial of holy water, then it really ought to say 25gp in the material component. Because it doesn't, I'd assume that it uses a negligible amount.

At any rate, I don't tend to make my players track these things. I do like it when they think about it, though. Enough to add "at the shop I buy enough stuff to fill my component pouch" at least.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I also tend to think it's rather annoying and poor form for a first level spell to have costly material components. I'm looking at you, Chromatic Orb and Identify. Because that just cuts your starting spell list down when making your first level wizard before you have any gold to spend on components.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
This is all aside, but I agree with you on material components. At least in Chromatic Orb and Identify, they aren't consumed -- in that way it's like Thieves' Tools, which many rogues can end up not being able to afford until second or third level (in my experience).

Protection from G&E is worse -- and I think arises from a copy and paste error. Delete "which the spell consumes" and it's all fine and consistent.* (instead, they doubled down on it and added other spells later with this same no-specified-cost-but consumed - yuk.)

*unless you think the honeycomb for Magic Mouth also gets consumed -- I presume "which" refers only to the priced component, the jade dust.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
At least with thieves tools, you can get them with the right background. But you're right. They are expensive, too, and when adventures are written that kind of need a functioning rogue with tools, it's really annoying!

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I thought none of the PHB backgrounds gave Thieves' tools in equipment -- criminal and urchin don't, and they're the ones that grant proficiency.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Huh. I guess you're right. They don't. I thought they did. Same with other proficiencies like disguise kits, too, I guess. And herbalism kits.

Remove ads