D&D Movie/TV Check Out The D&D Movie's Cast -- In Costume!

At San Diego Comic Con, next year's D&D movie, Honor Among Thieves, is getting a preview. Additionally, there's a 'tavern experience' where visitors can interact with D&D monsters and drink 'dragon brew', and at which is also displayed images of the cast of the movie in costume! everything below comes from that tavern experience, but there is an official panel/event later today (Thursday)...

At San Diego Comic Con, next year's D&D movie, Honor Among Thieves, is getting a preview. Additionally, there's a 'tavern experience' where visitors can interact with D&D monsters and drink 'dragon brew', and at which is also displayed images of the cast of the movie in costume! everything below comes from that tavern experience, but there is an official panel/event later today (Thursday).

rege.jpg

Photo: ComicBook.com​

Various media outlets are there and are posting previews and photos:

poster.jpeg

Jaeger

That someone better
I think it's the 'cheapness' of how it looks. The Witcher and LotR didn't have costumes and armor that look like they're from the Spirit Halloween store.

Or maybe it's just the style or something, Just seems....off.

I find the costumes to be par for the course if your reference material is current WotC D&D illustrations.

I can't point to when the trend began but the way clothing has been drawn in D&D has had a very 18th century, stylized look to it for quite a while now.

BRayne

Adventurer
That's how Tieflings did look like back in 2e. They had varied appearances and if the player wanted to they could roll something 1d4 times for appearances features (which includes horns, certain skin colours, a tail, six fingers, etc) on a table. That would be a Tiefling that rolled 1 on the 1d4 and just got horns.

I believe some features were more subtle too. Stuff like "smell of brimstone follows you around" and "eyes flash red when angry" might not scan on a poster as well.

Last edited:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is Annah, a 2nd edition tiefling from Planescape: Torment. Greyish skin, cloven hooves, tail, no horns.

As already mentioned, when first introduced (in Planescape) tieflings had a random table of features. The small horns and a tail is the 3rd edition/Pathfinder look. The buffalo horns are 4e.

Dude has more hair than I did at half that age, let alone now!

He's 61. And in makeup for a character who is supposed to be old. He can't play Charles from Four Weddings and a Funeral forever.

All three previous D&D movies have tried to be serious (and tried to be more and more serious as they went on), and that didn't work out for them (though of course the movies has more than just that going against them!).

Yeah, my hope is for a fun GotG-style film. Also, I don't know that there's a market for a serious fantasy flick right now. That's all migrated to television seemingly.

Trying to make a serious D&D fantasy movie would be very risky. The number of successful serious fantasy films that have been made is pretty darn short. The ones made in the last 20 years is even shorter - it's what Lord of the Rings? On TV you have Game of Thrones but that's television where prestige drama is allowed to wallow for a bit in critical acclaim before it finds popular success - in film it would be a lot riskier. Especially since the market for serious films in general seems pretty low these days - it's not what people are looking for in their action movies.

Targeting a Guardians of the Galaxy or a Fast and Furious vibe for a D&D movie, on the other hand, is lower risk. It seems to be what people want right now. Especially for an initial outing of what you hope to be a franchise where you don't know if the audience is even going to show up for a movie that is based on a game.

I'm just hoping for a fun action movie. If they can pull that off I'll be pretty happy.

I like the designs of the costumes, but will refrain judgment on how they look on screen until I see a trailer and some images not taken from a smartphone.

The poster has me a little worried - if all those creatures are in there, I hope the CGI is up to it. I got nothing on lifting the Intellect Devourer art directly from a Pathfinder product, though. If they were going to do that, it mystifies me why they wouldn't just take the actual Monster Manual image.

I find the costumes to be par for the course if your reference material is current WotC D&D illustrations.

I can't point to when the trend began but the way clothing has been drawn in D&D has had a very 18th century, stylized look to it for quite a while now.
Take a deco at Neverwinter Nights 2 (3.5 edition rules). The fashions are quite similar, so that would push it back quite a way.

Scribe

Legend
Really don’t like how they made the tiefling look like a typical attractive girl but she has cute little horns! Teehee! 🙄 Couldn’t even bother to give her red/blue/purple/whatever skin.

This is what peak tiefling looks like. You may not like it, but its true. (just a meme, mostly ;))

Jer

Legend
Supporter
All three previous D&D movies have tried to be serious (and tried to be more and more serious as they went on), and that didn't work out for them (though of course the movies has more than just that going against them!).
I know that this is objectively true and yet my mind rebels against it because of how the final product actually turned out.
The poster has me a little worried - if all those creatures are in there, I hope the CGI is up to it. I got nothing on lifting the Intellect Devourer art directly from a Pathfinder product, though. If they were going to do that, it mystifies me why they wouldn't just take the actual Monster Manual image.
I suspect that it's a graphic designer given too much freedom. Or the movie centers around a heist where the team has to retrieve a baby owlbear from the clutches of a magical animal collector who has it locked up in his menagerie without him discovering them.

Hold on - I think I might have an idea for my next session...

Remove ads

Remove ads