Citadel of the Iron Crown - Burglars in Mirkwood

Fenris

Adventurer
"Why was I convinced? I have never known thrushes to lie. Has a thrush ever lied to you master dwarf?" asks Thalion

Dlsharrock

First Post
[SBLOCK=Spoiler/Binder_Fred]Nice roll :) He could learn much from the maker's of the staff if he were given time to scrutinize the craftsmanship up close and over time. The staff is beautifully made, clearly a work of art. This is a good roll, so I'll allow a more specific ID. We'll say he's come across wood of this type during his... what? Apprenticeship days? Furthermore, anything you can find online relating to this type of wood, I'll allow Baran to know (common sense on source reliability). There are numerous legends and myths, here are some hooks to get you started: Nimbrethil is an ancient and extremely valuable Elvish wood. The legend as he knows goes thus: in lost Beleriand (the sunken northland of the ancient Elven races) there grew many fair white birch trees which were called Nimbrethil in the tongue of the Grey-Elves. 'Vingilot', the mighty ship that Earendil the Mariner sailed over Belegaer, the Western Sea, to the Undying Lands, was built with timber from these huge ships. As Baran studies the staff he will notice some of the celtic carvings seem related to the sea. Waves and fish etc.

Baran has heard of the speaking birds of the mountains, but always assumed this to refer to the Great Eagles who were sometimes seen near the mines of Moria and who were known to be intelligent and capable of speech. Thrushes as friends to Dwarfs is a new one to him, though, of course, he isn't a native to these parts.[/SBLOCK]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Baran leans back with an exasperated sigh : clouds, clouds, clouds and more clouds. Oh, and some elves too.

Well, it's not like he was planning to sleep tonight in any event : "Granthan has never lied to me either, Healer. Yet *still* I don't rush about the countryside on his say-so... Look, I don't mean to be-" overly "-rude, but you *are* asking me to up my livelyhood, trek to a place where I'm not invited, for reasons you won't tell me... So would you care for a chair, healer Thalion?" He's up and off his stool as he says it, actually, leaving the round wooden surface quite free.

Binder Fred, in for the long haul.

P.S. Thanks for the info, Dave!

Last edited:

Fenris

Adventurer
"I don't know who or what Granthan is. What I do know if that you've managed to break that perrianath's skull back there, that she is marked, that this is the first of many seekers who will find you and that you must accompany me to the Lonely Mountain before the vapor reaches these woods. I have told you the reasons, evil is afoot, and it searches for you master dwarf. And it has found you. I do not know what it wants, but it is coming. I have told you what I know, I can tell you no more than that." replies Thalion declining the stool by standing.

Shayuri

First Post
"Thalion," Aranel asks, unable to restrain herself.

"Is this...vapor...a threat to the elves of the wood? Thranduil and his domain? If so, they must be warned."

Binder Fred

Baran chews air 9 times : healers are hard to find. He's starting to understand his Longbeard cousins though...

Shayuri said:
"Thalion," Aranel asks, unable to restrain herself. "Is this...vapor...a threat to the elves of the wood? Thranduil and his domain? If so, they must be warned."
"It's a *physical* thing?" What with all the 'scouring' and dwarven 'stones' in non-existant arches, he'd quite lost track.

Binder fred, tagging out, exhausted. ;)

Fenris

Adventurer
Binder Fred said:
Baran chews air 9 times : healers are hard to find. He's starting to understand his Longbeard cousins though...

"It's a *physical* thing?" What with all the 'scouring' and dwarven 'stones' in non-existant arches, he'd quite lost track.

Binder fred, tagging out, exhausted. ;)

OOC: Middle earth spell casters have class requirements to speak in allegories and metaphors. It's required ;)

"It doesn't matter if it is or is not. The poisoned air of a befouled mine may kill as easily as a black-feathered orc arrow. It is a vapor of malice and it will kill.

And yes, Aranel, all of Greenwood is in danger and the King needs to be alerted. I will arrange that. Although, if Baran would listen to my words, we may lessen the danger."

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Fenris said:
OOC: Middle earth spell casters have class requirements to speak in allegories and metaphors. It's required ;)

<OOC: You're certainly a middle earth spell caster then. :)

"Oh I'm listening," contradicts that worthy as he drops on an iron-bound laundry chest. "What I haven't heard is who 'Him' is, what 'They' are or what trekking to the ends of the woods is going to accomplish."

Binder fred, roots run deep.

Dlsharrock

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC rhubarb for all]
Fenris said:
OOC: Middle earth spell casters have class requirements to speak in allegories and metaphors. It's required

If you check the RAW more carefully you'll see that in fact this class requirement extends to everyone except hobbits ;) And Sauron, but he's technically mute :D

Binder_Fred, feel free to roll Sense Motive.

Everyone, a question about XP, I'd appreciate any player input/experience on this.

It's been suggested to me that I review the way I give out XP, as pbp D&D can be quite long winded and increasing levels/XP is equally long winded unless the game is combat intensive, has anyone any suggestions for allocation of XP?

When I played 2e I used to allocate XP for successful Skill rolls, though not all players like this.

I'm a bit inexperienced with D&D on forums, so I'm fretting a bit about how the XP will work out. Thoughts?[/SBLOCK]

renau1g

First Post
Binder Fred said:
"Oh I'm listening," contradicts that worthy as he drops on an iron-bound laundry chest. "What I haven't heard is who 'Him' is, what 'They' are or what trekking to the ends of the woods is going to accomplish."

"Baran, where's your sense of adventure? You be afraid to go in the woods, maybe a pointy-ear will help you out. They can go find out who came after your scroll for you and take care of it while you wait here if you'd like. Maybe I can scrounge up some warm milk and cookies for you too..." Ulfang says, hoping to rile the dwarf up to go.

[sblock=Disharrock]
It's definitely hard dealing with XP in a PbP format as everything that's transpired so far would take about an hour or so in a RL game. I personally would think you can award XP based on your judgement. Essentially RP experience, which I give out in RL games also.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads