• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City of the Spider Queen (mini-campaign)

grufflehead

First Post
OK PM, looks like we've got requests for 3 PCs from the others, with options of bard or wizard, artificer and archivist. We're lacking some sort of cleric and some stand up fight power by the look of it, and are left with the little guy in front and the big guy with the shield. I'm just kicking around some options but jump in and tell me which you'd prefer so I can narrow my searching down a bit.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I would prefer the big guy, I can go melee build fighter or cleric. Even combine them both, I suppose. I have an 8th level Fighter/Cleric/Stormlord build around here somewhere.

HM, are we locked into the apparent race of the picture? He could be Draconic instead half-orc. His size matches Goliath, but not the ears. What about Bugbear?

Actually working on a build really depends on the resources allowed.
Such as the Complete Books, to include Champion and Divine if I am looking at cleric. What about Unearthed Arcana?

Also I still need to finish my Swashbuckler Privateer first anyway. But I am thinking about this. :p

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Your going in the wrong direction thinking on classes and builds. Just want to know about the character. I was going to us the guy with the shield as a 4e warlord but that game dropped :(

Now looking at the big guy what do you see? Green skin, long ears, musclar build. So he has some orc blood? if so maybe the other parent wasn't human. And then in another direction don't trolls have green skin and pointy ears? And what about those elemental templates maybe he's some kind of fey creature.

In D&D the possiblities are endless, :D but if you are worried about builds and books nothing is off the table yet. And no one has a character yet as I said characters to go to the best concepts not first come first serve as that is unfair to those across the pond.

So do up a couple if you have the time but don't worry about classes or the best race combo for now.

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Well, I usually build mechanics first and think about the rest as I find a good picture. That's just me, waiting for creativity to start.

Given an open ended choice I still prefer the big guy. And based on your answer, he could have dragon blood and maybe his skin is a little scale-like when you get closer. But that could be Bugbear blood too. Too many choices. :p

Now if someone wants to fight over the choice, I can come up with something for that wizard looking chick next him as well. I don't have any sorcerer's in play at the moment.

jkason

First Post
Wow and this is why I wanted to do this I didn't even think of that, I was leaning toward ssomething else won't say yet so others can post about her.

If you find time to finish up please do I think the picture has a balanced looking party.

Not sure if you meant me to throw out my ideas on the others as 'finishing,' or expand on the female charater, so let's just try both, though my weakness for trying to go against type means my ideas may not make an especially balanced party ;) :

* Man on the left I thought might be an interesting rogue / ranger hybrid type, obviously specialized for range attacks. I don't have any sources other than the online SRD and what I can glean from Crystal Keep, so I'm not sure if there's a better class that does that all on its own. Actually, I'd originally thought of an assassin type, but I believe the actual Assassin class is evil-only?

* Tall man, as others had mentioned, seemed kind of a secondary caster / fighty type. What about a druid? The leather armor fits, carries a healing wand to help, and as the 'nature guy' he might fit into a leader role by helping the party navigate / find shelter.

* I can't help but want the little guy to actually be the stabby one. Barbarian goblin, maybe? Always itching for a fight, with the others having to talk him down. (yes, rather like Belkar)

* As for the big guy, that sheild looks rather ornate, and I started wondering if it might not actually be a holy symbol for a war-focused god. Half-orc cleric, then?

Like I said, not exactly balanced. I mean, there's no primary arcane caster, though a lot of folks who can help with healing and buffing. In any case, on to trying to flesh out "the girl":

Talhia Shen was born a slave, raised to do whatever it took to keep herself and her family safe. Despite the squallor of her living conditions, she grew into what her master called "a comely wench." He promoted her from maid to his personal 'dancer.' His intentions seemed painfully clear.

What her master didn't realize, what Talhia herself was not fully aware of, was that her maturing body was also maturing into an untapped power. When she danced, her finger cymbols chiming and her lilting voice filling the room, she didn't just entertain: she enthralled. And so it was that, after each command performance, it was Talhia and not her master who gave the orders. In the wake of one of her dances, he was always a perfect gentlemen, though he was never quite sure why when he woke alone the next morning.

When she finally realized what powers she could channel, Talhia used them to arrange for the freedom of herself and her mother. Then she set off into the world, seeking to turn her powers into profit she could use to see that her mother's 'retirement' would be a comfortable one.

Ever the performer, it's often difficult to tell what the young woman is thinking, even when she tells you. She can be simultaneously the center of attention and absent the suspicious thoughts of everyone in a room. Forget a fly on the wall; if you want to know something, you want to put Talhia in the room.

Mind you, I'm not sure how you *build* that character. 3.5 bards aren't made to use Dance for most of their abilities, and she feels like she needs a lot more social skills than, say, a sorcerer character would get. Ah, well, that's the idea that the image created, in any case.

jason

renau1g

First Post
Oi! My brain hurts after reading the Artificer in Eberron... too complex for my tastes.

Maybe class-wise he could be a cleric of Gond or maybe a wizard...maybe for the gun, it could be how he channels his spells? I.e. cast magic missile? Aim the gun and fire a bolt of energy. Hmmmm..... that might be a lot of fun. Maybe focus on evocation magic....

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
Mind you, I'm not sure how you *build* that character. 3.5 bards aren't made to use Dance for most of their abilities, and she feels like she needs a lot more social skills than, say, a sorcerer character would get.

Have you taken a look at the Beguiler class from the PHB2? That'd fit your description perfectly, I think, and they're a boatload of fun to play.

Remove ads