• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City of the Spider Queen (mini-campaign)

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Hope I am not stepping on any toes, as I thought I would give this a shot....

Xander overlooked the alleyway, his perch carefully selected after weeks of surveillance and patience. It was hard, oh so hard for one of his nature to have been able to find the patience he had never had, but he had no choice. Usually the first one to swing first and ask questions later, even though the foe might not be able to talk, this had been his most frustrating job.

The mark made their presence, as he could hear the coins falling into his coin purse, counting the 350 gold that Old Man Malloy had agreed upon. The hunched figure was bent over the cane, it's rhythmic tapping the only sound that he could concentrate on. As the figure moved down the alley, the glint of the emerald ring on his left hand glimmered in the moonlight, as a grin played across Xanders face.

Not too bad! Nice cut, great shine, brightly colored and sizable. Might even be worth more than the 350 gold Old Man Malloy is offering. Might have to look into that...

His thoughts come back to the figure, as he moves below, into the T section of the alley. Xander makes his move, dropping from the shadows with practiced ease. His footsteps are too quiet for anyone to hear, as he lands in front of the figure, ten paces away, with crossed arms.

"Old Man Malloy sends his regards. Seems that you have something of his, and I'm here to collect."

Patiently waiting, Xander watches the figure stop, peer up from underneath the hood, and slowly remove the cowl.

"Yes. Although, I think I will do the collecting."

No sooner had the figure uttered the words before Xander recognized the voice behind the cowl. Gorren, the everlasting thorn in his side. Feigning surprise, Xander glances about, spotting the other figures coming out form the shadows, two at each of his sides, and another pair to back up Gorren.

Patiently, waiting, Xander does what he does best, as he calmly takes in the little surprise for him. "You sure you want to die today, Gorren? You could just leave now, you know. Turn tail, as usual; walk away; live to feed off the gutters."

Gorren had heard enough, as Xander simply smiled, knowing what would come next. "Get him!" were the words Gorren used, as the figures sprinted forth at Xander, barely making a few steps before the numerous sounds of crossbow bolts tearing into the leather armor of his assailants brought forth their gurgling screams. Before Gorren could even realize what had happened, Xander brought forth his mace, knowing he could take the leader of this ragtag bunch with ease.

He had staked it out for weeks, and knew the double cross was set to ensnare him. Old Man Malloy never cared for Xander, ever since that job long ago went sour. This was to be Old Man Malloys play on power, showing that he could take care of Xander. Yet, today was not the day. Xander had the place riddled with traps that he only activated for tonight, knowing this was the night of betrayal. The hired thugs were no match for his wits, as Xander took one step towards the beady eyed Gorren, who was now looking for a way out of this. The only reply from Xander would be Gorren's last words to be heard. The tapping of the famed and noted wicked mace brought out the meaning of the last two words Gorren heard....

"Let's dance..."

[sblock=The Little Guy]Thought I would take a crack at the shifty eyed little guy. He looks like he's the confident type![/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
What if that's not a shield the big guy is holding up? What if it's a miniature sarcophagus...and there's something in it...?

Mulhorandi pantheon is part of FR isn't it? What about a dwarven crusader, a devout worshipper of Anhur, who willingly transforms himself into a mummy so he can continue the fight against evil. When he's 'off duty', he just likes to go back to his nice warm coffin to meditate on the mysteries of the universe.

I wasn't sure about the Mulhorandi but I googled it and it is in the FR pantheon. So the big guy is the little mummy's bodyguard? Guess it is always good to have a back-up character.

I was intending on playing the Archivist as a healer/diviner sort of guy, so don't worry about making another Cleric-y character unless you want to. I'm not trying to edge anyone out, though--you can never have too many divine casters!

I don;t know much about Archivist (but I googled again) and I think you are on to something there, also making it fit in the underdark theme.

Actually, I'd originally thought of an assassin type, but I believe the actual Assassin class is evil-only?

They make Lawful Evil assassins right and as for your party:

Assassin
Druid
Barbarian
Cleric
Bard

Not bad at all ;)

Oi! My brain hurts after reading the Artificer in Eberron... too complex for my tastes.

Maybe class-wise he could be a cleric of Gond or maybe a wizard...maybe for the gun, it could be how he channels his spells? I.e. cast magic missile? Aim the gun and fire a bolt of energy. Hmmmm..... that might be a lot of fun. Maybe focus on evocation magic....

That's what I was thinking ok my first look at these guys was for 4e and I thought he's a warlock infernal pact and the "gun" is his implement. Were you in Chargene;s little experiment that started with one person who then choose from three characters to join the first then move on and choose three more. Well I didn't have three I had this group planned out but the game never started. :(

"Let's dance..."

[sblock=The Little Guy]Thought I would take a crack at the shifty eyed little guy. He looks like he's the confident type![/sblock]

Nice, :D

HM

Vertexx69

First Post
I like flipping conventional views on their ear to make a story more interesting. The Chargen idea of building off the picture is really good HM :D

See basics like 3.5 vs 4ED are important so ppl know which directions they have the option of going into. The racial options for each are completely different. And a genaral power level like low (5th or lower), mid (6th-12th) or high 13+.

If its 3.5:

I see the little guy as the actual "muscle" of the group as an air goblin swordsage or warblade with a short guy complex. Hes the one who lets his mouth get the whole group into more trouble than he can handle alone.

Or I see the pretty girl as the crazy pyromancer that likes to watch things burn for fun. Relying on her big green eyes to get her cute butt out of trouble in a pinch.

I see the big guy as a gentle giant. An information gathering goliath rogue or stoic druid that sees beyond the veil of the world he stands in. Wrapped in copper dragonhide, pressed into the form of heavier armor.

The thin man with the staff is actually a monk masquerading as a wizard to draw his opponents in close. He sees genstones as a natural channel to his divine connection to the universe.

I absolutely love the concept of the mummy crusader who continues his quest from beyond the grave. Floating around (or even being carried) in his sarcophagus

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Thanks Vertexx I may try this experiment agian in the future depends on the game.

Some nice change to the standards oh that little guy he's a rogue, or the big guy a barbarian. And the female pyromancer nice :) very different as there is nothing to show it (except maybe the thick gloves), so really anything is possible.

BTW that post didn't have an I wish to play feel to it. Which is ok by me as reading what people come up with is part of the fun on this end.

So to make things clear to everyone (present and future) please let me know if you are wishing to get in or just wanting to stretch your creative muscles. :D

And please post your character preferences in order (should maybe list at least two).

HM

perrinmiller

Adventurer
1st choice: Big guy. A smart ass tactician, melee fighter, potentially likes the booze too much and is grumpy in the morning. Likes animals and his only social skill is intimidation. Race TBD

2nd choice: The Chick with cleavage. Something arcane (depending on options allowed from UA) Enjoys long walks in the underdark and frying little critters, can be seductive if necessary.

3rd Choice: Whatever. I am easy and can think of something given enough time.

grufflehead

First Post
I wasn't sure about the Mulhorandi but I googled it and it is in the FR pantheon. So the big guy is the little mummy's bodyguard? Guess it is always good to have a back-up character.

HM

Nope, the mummy is the 6th PC you never realised you had ;) He can take care of himself - I sketched out a build based on the fact we seemed to be short of fight power, but I can easily tailor him to fill another role if required.

Just keep that female pyromancer away from me!

jkason

First Post
Have you taken a look at the Beguiler class from the PHB2? That'd fit your description perfectly, I think, and they're a boatload of fun to play.

It's entirely possible, but I don't actually have any of the 3.5 books, so my only sources are the online SRD and the PDFs at Crystal Keep (which don't include classes or spell lists for non-core classes).

So to make things clear to everyone (present and future) please let me know if you are wishing to get in or just wanting to stretch your creative muscles. :D

And please post your character preferences in order (should maybe list at least two).

I'm definitely interested. If I can figure out a build for her, obviously Talhia is my first choice. For second, probably the big guy or the guy Tahlia's leaning on?

Walking Dad

First Post
The little guy actually looks like a bald halfling or whisper gnome. Wearing studded leather armor and using a light mace.

And the big guy has tusks. Defiantly orc-blooded, perhaps even full blooded.

The woman really looks like having a non-armor, no-weapon Cha-based class. I would say sorcerer (don't beguilers wear armor?).

I could picture the armored male caster as a warmage.

The sly one? Urban ranger with a very unusual weapon. Looks like he wears a chain shirt.

---

Would be interested, but it is 3.5. 'sigh'

Have fun with this party :)

Remove ads